Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Difference between liberals and conservatives

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,827 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 14 May 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

The ability of conservatives to deny hard verifyiable facts in favour of ideological postures. I am not talking about soft socialogical facts here, I am talking about empirical facts derived from hard science.
Hard facts are not a problem for Liberals, assimilate and move on - Simple.

BS, Liberals ignore science when it doesnt fit thier views all the time. Little things like the statistical odds of life creating its self are completly ignored.

A belief system which denies reality in favour of belief is dangerous.

Take for example those who advocate the belief in small government, and yet voted for people like Bush and Reagon who both presided over a growth in national government. Ideology denies reality.

Br Cornelius

Well thats not really fair to say. Both Reagon and Bush talked a real good game about small government. I do agree with you regarding the people who voted for them a second time. But its not like there was much choice. Thats why I personaly no longer vote for the president. Nor will I till a true conservative gets the knod. Though the bank will never let that happen.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#17    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

View Postpreacherman76, on 14 May 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

BS, Liberals ignore science when it doesnt fit thier views all the time. Little things like the statistical odds of life creating its self are completly ignored.

I think this somewhat proves Br. Cornelius' point.  From your statement, I get the impression that you believe because something has long odds that it is impossible.  When I see long odds, not only do I think it is possible but I can see with what frequency it occurs.

#18    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,142 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

The creationists ignore the fact that there was a period of about 4 billion years on earth over which only one "accident" needed to happen. That represents a potential for a near infinite number of failures to occur along the way. It only took one success out of those trillions upon trillions of failure for life to begin. Each of the critical early evolutionary steps towards cellular life had 100's of millions of years to develop, so it is not even true that life developed suddenly - rather it evolved over billions of years from its component parts to eventually become life as we would recognise it. Each step is recorded in the genetic code which we each carry around in every cell of our body, and a rough cronology of the steps can even be worked out by tracing them down the phytological tree.
I would say with those odds it makes the occurance of life an almost certain probability on any planet which has the conditions capable of supporting life.

Contemplating the number of attempts the planet had to create life is like contemplating the infinitie or God, beyond our ability to grasp.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 14 May 2013 - 11:55 AM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#19    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

BS, Liberals ignore science when it doesnt fit thier views all the time.

Posted Image

Liberals deny science sometimes...   For example, is that a man or a woman in the above photo?
Well, even though science will tell you 100% of the time that it is indeed a man, a liberal will ignore science.  A liberal will say..."Well, it depends what the above person considers himself.  If the above person thinks he's a woman, than he is a woman."

Science

#20    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,608 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

View PostGromdor, on 14 May 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

I think this somewhat proves Br. Cornelius' point.  From your statement, I get the impression that you believe because something has long odds that it is impossible.  When I see long odds, not only do I think it is possible but I can see with what frequency it occurs.

To the trained mind complexity is not impossibility but a dim lightbulb. Something that makes it more difficult to work in but not impossible.

#21    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,142 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

View Posttapirmusic, on 14 May 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

Posted Image

Liberals deny science sometimes...   For example, is that a man or a woman in the above photo?
Well, even though science will tell you 100% of the time that it is indeed a man, a liberal will ignore science.  A liberal will say..."Well, it depends what the above person considers himself.  If the above person thinks he's a woman, than he is a woman."

Science
A Liberal will not see the issue in humouring the person who has gender identification issues, because he will not be able to see the harm in doing so. Harm is the loadstone of the Liberals opinion forming faculties.

The Conservative on the other hand will believe that his own personal prejudices should form the basis of societal laws.

The reality is that people with gender identification issues are real and it does no-one any good to deny that.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 15 May 2013 - 08:30 AM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#22    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

How's this the difference is how the agendas are carried out the conservative agenda can survive without government. usually the government hinders the conservative agenda which is why conservatives want smaller government.

while the liberal agenda needs government the bigger the government the easier it is for the liberal agenda to move forward if you take away government their agenda would die.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#23    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 15 May 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

A Liberal will not see the issue in humouring the person who has gender identification issues, because he will not be able to see the harm in doing so. Harm is the loadstone of the Liberals opinion forming faculties.

The Conservative on the other hand will believe that his own personal prejudices should form the basis of societal laws.

The reality is that people with gender identification issues are real and it does no-one any good to deny that.

Br Cornelius

This deserves it's own thread methinks.

#24    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,394 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

Gender identification issues, lol. I've heard it all now.
If you're confused, drop your pants and look in the mirror. Please do not argue against that while at the same time saying you believe in cold hard scientific facts because if what you see in the mirror isn't cold hard scientific fact at its most basic levels I don't know what is.

Posted Image

#25    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,394 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Gender identification issues, though possibly real, used to be classified under a different term in prePC times. That term would be 'crazy' but I'm no doctor....

Posted Image

#26    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,722 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostF3SS, on 15 May 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

Gender identification issues, lol. I've heard it all now.
If you're confused, drop your pants and look in the mirror. Please do not argue against that while at the same time saying you believe in cold hard scientific facts because if what you see in the mirror isn't cold hard scientific fact at its most basic levels I don't know what is.

:lol:  You know I don't agree with you, but that did make me laugh so I had to like it.

#27    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,394 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Thanks Michelle. Glad I can say things like that to some people and not get into a morality debate about it.

Posted Image

#28    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,722 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

View PostF3SS, on 15 May 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

Thanks Michelle. Glad I can say things like that to some people and not get into a morality debate about it.

You're are just being you. :tu:

Edited by Michelle, 15 May 2013 - 10:19 PM.

#29    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,591 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

Well thats not really fair to say. Both Reagon and Bush talked a real good game about small government. I do agree with you regarding the people who voted for them a second time. But its not like there was much choice. Thats why I personaly no longer vote for the president. Nor will I till a true conservative gets the knod. Though the bank will never let that happen.

May I suggest voteing Libertarian? :whistle:

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#30    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

My friend was born a girl, throughout his entire life though he indentified himself as a boy.  A few years ago he underwent sex reassignment surgery to look like how he felt i.e. a man.

Biologically, he is a girl, no-one denies that, not even him, it's incontrivertible, he has XX chromosomes, case closed.  It's just that his brain, somehow, got it's wires crossed and that led to him suffering mentally.  His surgery wasn't him denying what he was biologically, it was just to make him feel comfortable in his own skin.  I'm sure if there was medication or a miracle cure to stop him from thinking he was a man he'd have taken it but there wasn't, so surgery was the next best option.

I actually met him after he had his surgery and it wasn't until a few weeks later that I found out he wasn't biologically a man.  I was shocked, I almost didn't believe it, because as far as I was concerned, he looked like a man, walked like a man, talked like a man, acted like a man.

I'm quite happy to consider him as one of the guys, to humour him costs nothing and harms no-one.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users