Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Thoughts on Robert Bauval

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    Winterwind

Winterwind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I'm curious as to the UM community's thoughts on Robert Bauval.

I know he's frequently tossed in with the "fringies" group and I just don't see it.

I've read most of his work. He's never once mentioned ancient aliens of any sort. I can't recall him ever mentioning advanced and unknown ancient civilisations. From what I've read of his work he doesn't dispute the accepted dates for construction of the pyramids so... why is he so frequently lumped in with the likes of von Daniken, Childress, et al?

To be honest I've got a degree of admiration for, and envy of, the man. A mid-life career change that saw him go from an engineer to rooting around Eygpt and writing books. If I could do that I'd be a happy man rooting around myself with the complete works of the Alan Parsons Project loaded up on an MP3 player. Minus all the political and civil unrest in the region of course.

That being said, I don't think that touch of envy makes me biased. I'm genuinely curious why he's often lumped in with the others who are, in my view, either completely out to lunch or just sensationalising swill for money or both.

Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online
- http://www.winterwind-productions.com
- Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love

#2    Scott Creighton

Scott Creighton

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

• Consensus opinion isn't fact.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostWinterwind, on 07 January 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

I'm curious as to the UM community's thoughts on Robert Bauval.

I know he's frequently tossed in with the "fringies" group and I just don't see it.

I've read most of his work. He's never once mentioned ancient aliens of any sort. I can't recall him ever mentioning advanced and unknown ancient civilisations. From what I've read of his work he doesn't dispute the accepted dates for construction of the pyramids so... why is he so frequently lumped in with the likes of von Daniken, Childress, et al?

To be honest I've got a degree of admiration for, and envy of, the man. A mid-life career change that saw him go from an engineer to rooting around Eygpt and writing books. If I could do that I'd be a happy man rooting around myself with the complete works of the Alan Parsons Project loaded up on an MP3 player. Minus all the political and civil unrest in the region of course.

That being said, I don't think that touch of envy makes me biased. I'm genuinely curious why he's often lumped in with the others who are, in my view, either completely out to lunch or just sensationalising swill for money or both.

Hi Winterwind,

Any researcher/writer who contests any aspect of Consensus Egyptology is considered by Egypt-apologists as “fringe”. That is how they operate—tarnish all dissenting voices with the same brush. If they can associate the likes of Bauval with the more outlandish alternative thinkers then they can paint Bauval as being just as guilty by mere association—an association the Egypt-apologists have themselves created and which, in reality, most likely should never have been made. In its simplest form it is nothing more than mud-slinging in the hope that some of the mud will stick and that his reputation will be tarnished. However, anyone with an ounce of common-sense can see right through such smear tactics.

I have personally met Robert and spent a lot of time with the man, discussing all manner of subjects including, of course, ancient Egypt and the pyramids. I have always found him to be gracious, respectful and highly intelligent. He has probably forgotten more about ancient Egypt than many on this Board actually know about the subject. But since some of his ideas run contrary to consensus Egyptology, he is fair game for the mud-slingers who treat the subject almost akin to a religious doctrine. And we all know the problems intolerant fanatics can cause.

Posted Image

Myself with Robert Bauval at the Great Pyramid

Regards,

SC

"The man o' independent mind... is king o' men, for a' that." - Robert Burns

#3    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Then perhaps Bauval should not associate with fantasists, and certainly not co-write a book with the likes of Ahmed Osman. "Breaking the Mirror of Heaven" certainly indulges in mud slinging no less than the above post. I bring attention to the photo of Zahi Hawass on page 55. This is straight from Goebels school of propaganda. I judge people on the friends they keep and who defends them. This topic seems contrived to me........

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,144 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 07 January 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

Then perhaps Bauval should not associate with fantasists, and certainly not co-write a book with the likes of Ahmed Osman. "Breaking the Mirror of Heaven" certainly indulges in mud slinging no less than the above post. I bring attention to the photo of Zahi Hawass on page 55. This is straight from Goebels school of propaganda. I judge people on the friends they keep and who defends them. This topic seems contrived to me........

Well I have my suspicions about that too. So do most of the habituals, else they would have weight in.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    Winterwind

Winterwind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Really? The two of you think it's contrived? Gee. So sorry I asked.

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,144 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostWinterwind, on 07 January 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

Really? The two of you think it's contrived? Gee. So sorry I asked.

Sorry if it is not, but we have seen it all too frequently, and the first response within minutes surely made us suspect that somebody is trying to peddle his books again. (Not looking at anybody :innocent: )

As to Bauval, I stopped taking him seriously when he claimed that the pyramids are oriented along the Orion belt. Anybody capable of reading a topographic map can see plainly the reason why the pyramids are placed as they are, and probably even why they have the sizes they have.

The topographic maps of Giza have been posted half a dozen times on this forum so I will not do it again here.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    Winterwind

Winterwind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

I realise my post count isn't high enough to make me memorable but I'm not a fringie or AA believer. That's mainly why I have such a low post count. I can't take the aliens/bigfoot/paranormal stuff seriously and when the only possible response I can think to those that do would be a joke, there's really no point in posting. I was simply, genuinely curious as to why he's painted with the same brush when I've never once heard a word from him about aliens, advanced secret civilisations, etc. Shame the influx of the absurd means even simple curiosity is met with insinuations of agendas though. Understandable but a shame.

But hey, forget I asked. I'll just stick with lurking and laughing in the crypto and ufo forums. ;)

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,144 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostWinterwind, on 07 January 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

I realise my post count isn't high enough to make me memorable but I'm not a fringie or AA believer. That's mainly why I have such a low post count. I can't take the aliens/bigfoot/paranormal stuff seriously and when the only possible response I can think to those that do would be a joke, there's really no point in posting. I was simply, genuinely curious as to why he's painted with the same brush when I've never once heard a word from him about aliens, advanced secret civilisations, etc. Shame the influx of the absurd means even simple curiosity is met with insinuations of agendas though. Understandable but a shame.

But hey, forget I asked. I'll just stick with lurking and laughing in the crypto and ufo forums. ;)

See, you have to take these things with a pinch of salt, and with the thought in mind that just because they insist on some wild theories they might not be totally incompetent. One of my profs used to show up for lecture with two different shoes, the sweater under the shirt or wearing two ties... but that did not take away that he was a (sometimes eerie) capacity in his field.

There are some "fringies" whose word I would take any day in their areas of expertise (Davidotis, for example I would believe any day of the week if my question was regarding the resistance of a certain cement mix, just when he tries to sell me that the blocks in the pyramids are made of cement I tend to not believe him) but that does not mean that they always know what they are talking about.

Edited by questionmark, 07 January 2013 - 08:01 PM.

about me

#9    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 4,124 posts

• Hi! :-)

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I don't know anything about what you guys are talking about but I went to the King Tut exhibit in Seattle, WA last week and got to see a lot of statues etc... From the tombs.

It was amazing... I can kind of see how some of it looks like alien stuff.... One very interesting part is the DNA results of king tut, his father and grandfather... You all probably know this but it is new to me how they were all inbred brother and sister, and the DNA results prooves it.. Cool...

Here's a link to some of the artifacts I got to see if you care at all..... Make sure your browser is on 'images' so you can see them.

http://www.google.co...LN4vYigKvv4C4Bg

Edited by SpiritWriter, 07 January 2013 - 08:21 PM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#10    Winterwind

Winterwind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Your post makes me feel old. I saw the King Tut exhibit in Toronto back in the late 70s.

Edited by Winterwind, 07 January 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#11    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,195 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

I think Robert Bauval is a very intellegent man, but I think his Orion ideas are not just off track with modern Egyptiology, they are off in left field. All kinds of acrobatics have to be done to make those pyramids match those stars in the sky.

I also think that since he was rejected by Mainstream Egyptology, he decided to just head toward the Fringes, since he got acceptance there.

There are many threads here about the Orion belt alignment, but I've yet to see it shown to be a easily prooven theory. And a theory that requires all kinds of adjustments to the data to make it fit, really does not fit.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#12    Scott Creighton

Scott Creighton

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 07 January 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

... All kinds of acrobatics have to be done to make those pyramids match those stars in the sky... And a theory that requires all kinds of adjustments to the data to make it fit, really does not fit.

SC: Alas, your comments (above) are somewhat outdated. I have discussed this issue with no less a figure than Dr Ed Krupp himself - the astronomer who first put forth the objections (that every Giza-Orion skeptic here regurgitates ad nauseum) to Bauval's Orion correlation. Whilst I cannot disclose the precise nature of our conversation (Dr Krupp does not wish me to make public his comments to me and I have to respect his wishes), I was every bit convinced that the validity of my response to Dr Krupp's original objections to Bauval's theory remained perfectly valid at the conclusion of our discussion.

Regards,

SC

Edited by Scott Creighton, 07 January 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#13    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 14,687 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

View PostScott Creighton, on 07 January 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

SC: Alas, your comments (above) are somewhat outdated. I have discussed this issue with no less a figure than Dr Ed Krupp himself - the astronomer who first put forth the objections (that every Giza-Orion skeptic here regurgitates ad nauseum) to Bauval's Orion correlation. Whilst I cannot disclose the precise nature of our conversation (Dr Krupp does not wish me to make public his comments to me and I have to respect his wishes), I was every bit convinced that the validity of my response to Dr Krupp's original objections to Bauval's theory remained perfectly valid at the conclusion of our discussion.

Regards,

SC
Scott, that reads to me as you saying "I talked to him, and I've not changed my mind" - hardly the same as "Krupp is wrong".

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#14    Scott Creighton

Scott Creighton

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 07 January 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

Scott, that reads to me as you saying "I talked to him, and I've not changed my mind" - hardly the same as "Krupp is wrong".

SC: Part of my discussion with Dr Krupp concerned my own 3-D Giza-Orion cosmographic perspective which resolves Dr Krupp's original objections to Bauval’s Orion correlation, much regurgitated on this Board. I cannot tell you what Dr Krupp actually said - suffice to say that he did not dispute it when I put it to him that my 3-D Giza-Orion cosmographic proposal did indeed resolve his much publicized objections to Bauval’s initial proposal. I am afraid that is as much as I can say on the matter without breaching Dr Krupp's confidence.

Regards,

SC

#15    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,498 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Robert Bauval is a member here and it is counter my policy to talk about members.

I will say this much though; I wish he were a fringee since it pains me to see sensible people in
the Egyptological camp.  I've read some of his books but do not agree with his theories.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users