Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* - - - - 1 votes

The reality of the UK education system


  • Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#76    pantodragon

pantodragon

    Remote Viewer

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined:28 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:On vacation in Beetleguese

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 02 April 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

Really?
Ohh well that's entirely different.
So it has nothing to do with the use of technology in the classroom then, and more "change this and this, eat more apples and smile more".


You judge life coaching by your own standards.  Mine are quite another matter.  And the standards you reveal here lead me to realise one should never put any faith in your judgement.


#77    pantodragon

pantodragon

    Remote Viewer

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined:28 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:On vacation in Beetleguese

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

View Postcalaf, on 02 April 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

Perhaps being a bit off-topic coming from the other side of the pond, as a teacher in inner cities schools for 35 years I can only summarize as follows. Teaching is both an extremely difficult yet vastly rewarding profession which has no place for the unprepared or timid. It is true that a teacher can be under attack from numerous fronts but those attacks can be deflected by skill, experience and patience. All of the distractions of modern education cannot touch the infectious excitement of learning.

The US took advertising to new heights, and your piece above sounds as if it comes off the front of an advert encouraging student teachers into ther profession.  In other words, it quite literally sounds too good to be true --- and it is.


#78    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male

  • CHAMP20NS

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 04 April 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

To quote marcus Aurelius: “........................... I seek the truth, which never harmed anyone: the harm is to persist in one's own self-deception and ignorance.”  If pupils are wakened to the truth of what is going on, they can deal with it.  I can tell them how.  If they persist in their delusions, then they are beyond help and will suffer.

I can only give kudos for you getting out of education, not being a teacher or privy to any curriculum mandates, as a student my first contact with education would be the teacher and regardless of any factor education is based on, its their responsibility. its almost as bad as a workman blaming his tools for a shoddy job, I understand a little about teaching, session plans, curriculum planning, risk assessments, assessor feedback, self assessments I think what determines a stand out teacher is how they deliver the curriculum.

But I do understand slightly what your saying I think, fear is one of the best motivators to get people to do anything, why not use it in education..As for curriculum I assume they are reviewed on a regular basis to cater for current trends its almost on a par as conspiracy to then assume the agenda would be fear and its carried forward into any implemented changes as a result of review.


#79    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

    SCIENCE!

  • Member
  • 10,808 posts
  • Joined:08 Nov 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Queensland, Australia.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 04 April 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

You judge life coaching by your own standards.  Mine are quite another matter.  And the standards you reveal here lead me to realise one should never put any faith in your judgement.
A stinging rebuke.
I'll have to take that on board. After all, someone on the Internet says I'm untrustworthy. I'll have to tell my Principal to not trust me anymore.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#80    pantodragon

pantodragon

    Remote Viewer

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined:28 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:On vacation in Beetleguese

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

View Postciriuslea, on 04 April 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

I can only give kudos for you getting out of education, not being a teacher or privy to any curriculum mandates, as a student my first contact with education would be the teacher and regardless of any factor education is based on, its their responsibility. its almost as bad as a workman blaming his tools for a shoddy job, I understand a little about teaching, session plans, curriculum planning, risk assessments, assessor feedback, self assessments I think what determines a stand out teacher is how they deliver the curriculum.

But I do understand slightly what your saying I think, fear is one of the best motivators to get people to do anything, why not use it in education..As for curriculum I assume they are reviewed on a regular basis to cater for current trends its almost on a par as conspiracy to then assume the agenda would be fear and its carried forward into any implemented changes as a result of review.

You seem to have misunderstood me: frightened people make poor learners.  Wakening people to the truth is the first step in dealing with the fear and getting rid of it.


#81    pantodragon

pantodragon

    Remote Viewer

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined:28 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:On vacation in Beetleguese

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 04 April 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

. I'll have to tell my Principal to not trust me anymore.

I could not advise this course of action.  To quote ferdinand celine:

"The truth of this world is to lie.  You must choose either lying or dying.  Personally, I have never been able to kill myself."

I would not have you kill yourself on my account.


#82    Taun

Taun

    A dashing moose about town...

  • Member
  • 5,759 posts
  • Joined:19 May 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tornado Alley (Oklahoma)

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 25 March 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

Quote from It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World: These things happen because when these things happen, people like you just say "These things happen" ("....sad but true....") and that's why these things happen!  Anyone who tolerates a culture of survival of the fittest deserves everything they get.

So... You're saying that unfit teachers should be allowed to teach?... Or are you saying that the school system should adopt a tech base of say... the 1850's - so that no teacher will be left behind...?


#83    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

    SCIENCE!

  • Member
  • 10,808 posts
  • Joined:08 Nov 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Queensland, Australia.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:45 AM

View Postpantodragon, on 08 April 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

I could not advise this course of action.  To quote ferdinand celine:

"The truth of this world is to lie.  You must choose either lying or dying.  Personally, I have never been able to kill myself."

I would not have you kill yourself on my account.
There are staggeringly few things in this world I'd be prepared to die for or over.
My career isn't one, nor is the advice of a petty little creature on the Internet.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#84    Taun

Taun

    A dashing moose about town...

  • Member
  • 5,759 posts
  • Joined:19 May 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tornado Alley (Oklahoma)

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 08 April 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

I could not advise this course of action.  To quote ferdinand celine:

"The truth of this world is to lie.  You must choose either lying or dying.  Personally, I have never been able to kill myself."

I would not have you kill yourself on my account.

I have no idea who this Ferdinand Celine character is/was but by his own admission (in that bizarre statement) he's a liar... What has that statement got to do with... anything... in this thread?...

It seems you are obsessed with 'fear'... Are there students who are afraid of going to school or what will happen there? of course... there are people who are afraid of the monsters that live under their beds as well... Are you saying that students should be in an envirnoment where they do not 'fear' failure in class?...

I just don't understand what your primary 'concerns' are... Fear? Technology? 'The man' (meaning the system)?...


#85    pantodragon

pantodragon

    Remote Viewer

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined:28 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:On vacation in Beetleguese

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostTaun, on 08 April 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

So... You're saying that unfit teachers should be allowed to teach?...

Yes.  The ethic behind this is a million miles away from where you are, so you will not understand that in a better society, that ethic would lead to an excellence in teaching that this society cannot even dream of.

Edited by pantodragon, 11 April 2013 - 01:39 PM.


#86    pantodragon

pantodragon

    Remote Viewer

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined:28 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:On vacation in Beetleguese

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 09 April 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

There are staggeringly few things in this world I'd be prepared to die for or over.
My career isn't one, nor is the advice of a petty little creature on the Internet.

Actually, always supposing you are not exceptional in our society, I expect you have alreadt died over your career.  To quote Alan Bennett: "Sooner or later everything in life becomes work.  Even work becomes work"  In fact, I am tempted to ask, is there life in them thar hills?  The walking dead cannot commit suicide.

I eagerly look forward to your reply, and am cooking my own further response in anticipation.

Edited by pantodragon, 11 April 2013 - 01:44 PM.


#87    pantodragon

pantodragon

    Remote Viewer

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined:28 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:On vacation in Beetleguese

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostTaun, on 09 April 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:



It seems you are obsessed with 'fear'... Are there students who are afraid of going to school or what will happen there? of course... there are people who are afraid of the monsters that live under their beds as well... Are you saying that students should be in an envirnoment where they do not 'fear' failure in class?...

I just don't understand what your primary 'concerns' are... Fear? Technology? 'The man' (meaning the system)?...

The fear is not mine.  My concern is for you and the other poor folks who are still in thrall to this culture which is dragging them down into a world of delusion and psychosis --- enjoy the apocalypse.


#88    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

    SCIENCE!

  • Member
  • 10,808 posts
  • Joined:08 Nov 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Queensland, Australia.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 11 April 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

Actually, always supposing you are not exceptional in our society, I expect you have alreadt died over your career.  To quote Alan Bennett: "Sooner or later everything in life becomes work.  Even work becomes work"  In fact, I am tempted to ask, is there life in them thar hills?  The walking dead cannot commit suicide.

I eagerly look forward to your reply, and am cooking my own further response in anticipation.
Sadly, I'm missing the point of most of that.
I work so as to live. I'm one of those people who still enjoys his job. I'm actually excited about something I've planned for later this year. I have a few hobbies - mostly hideously expensive ones (ie plastic crack - I'm a Warhammer 40k player) - and they're merrily fed by my job. I'm canny enough to know how to budget. But all my life isn't "work, bills, work" if that's what you're saying.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#89    Setton

Setton

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Durham, England

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 08 April 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

You seem to have misunderstood me: frightened people make poor learners.

And poorer teachers. The trick with a disruptive class is just not to let nerves show. So long as they don't see a chink in your armour, it's as good as impregnable.

And you don't need the old style of discipline. A quiet word early and treating pupils as individuals will earn enough respect that little more is needed.

As for  the curriculum being too prescriptive: only if you're not creative. I've been working in a difficult inner city school these past few weeks delivering a project on fossils. This was not on the syllabus in any way but was worked in under 'extreme environments' because it was useful knowledge that would spark interest.

Also, by the end of it, a class previously incapable of teamwork had created a timeline of Earth's history, its life and how fossils form. All because of a little patience and thought. Oh, and technology.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#90    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

    SCIENCE!

  • Member
  • 10,808 posts
  • Joined:08 Nov 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Queensland, Australia.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:57 AM

View PostSetton, on 12 April 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

And poorer teachers. The trick with a disruptive class is just not to let nerves show. So long as they don't see a chink in your armour, it's as good as impregnable.
One teacher, old enough to have taught Adam as a lad, gave me this advice (advice incidentally I was quickly told to ignore by my university supervisor) ... "children are pack animals, they follow the alpha for good or bad. You need to be the alpha. If you need to shout to get that role. Shout. If you need to bribe, bribe. Become the pack leader and they'll follow you whereever you lead".

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users