Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK better off with immigration

questionmark

UK better off with immigration, official report shows

Alan Travis, home affairs editor

Tuesday October 16, 2007

Guardian Unlimited

Migrants are more highly skilled and often more reliable and hardworking than British workers and are fuelling the country's economic growth to the tune of £6bn a year, according to the first official study of their impact published today.

The report for the government's migration impact forum - which is considering the current restrictions on entry by Romanian and Bulgarian workers to the UK - also concluded that migrants on average earned more and so paid more tax than UK workers.

The joint Treasury, Home Office and Department for Work and Pensions study found that the arrival of hundreds of thousands of Poles and other east European workers had had "no discernible" impact on unemployment and had led to only a "modest dampening of wage growth" for British workers at the bottom end of the earnings league.

The report said 574,000 migrants came to live in Britain on a long-term basis in the 12 months to June 2006, and 385,000 left, giving a net incoming figure of 189,000 - down 28% compared with the previous year's net inflow of 262,000.

The first regional soundings by the government, also published today, showed that in seven out of eight regions in England migration had put pressure on housing, and five out of eight regions reported difficulties on crime and education.

The overwhelmingly positive official verdict on the economic and fiscal impact of the largest wave of migration to Britain in recent years is likely to prove highly controversial.

The shadow home secretary, David Davis, accused Labour ministers of ignoring the fact that relying on immigration to boost the economy was only a short-term answer.

But the immigration minister, Liam Byrne, insisted the report demonstrated that Britain was better off with immigration rather than without it.

He admitted, however, that the pace of change, particularly in communities that did not have a history of absorbing migrants, had been unsettling and had created challenges for public services.

Mr Byrne said it was time for a "new balance" in immigration policy.

The migration impact forum meets tomorrow to discuss whether the restrictions on Romanian and Bulgarian workers coming to Britain should be lifted. A decision is to be announced before the end of the year.

Source: The Guardian

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevewinn

• GreyWeather

• chemical-licker

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Q, whats this, UK better off with immigration,........Facts are the Enemy of truth, that article is wrong,

Immigration watch was on the TV newsnight, who uses Government Figures and it actually costs the British People £1 a day, because of immigration,

i'll try and track the piece down,

Edited by stevewinn

We are now having to pay the migrants wages, give them full rights, whilst still paying the people whose jobs have been taken or are too lazy to work, decent money to sit at home. Sky TV, fags and booze are a luxury not a necessity

We are now having to pay the migrants wages, give them full rights, whilst still paying the people whose jobs have been taken or are too lazy to work, decent money to sit at home. Sky TV, fags and booze are a luxury not a necessity

Cheers! Nothing frustrates me more...

i couldnt find the piece on newsnight, but it was saying that immigration costs us, because we have to employ translators, have Benefit forms made in different languages, we need to build more houses. Schools have to employ teachers who speak foreign languages, one example on the show was the local school English was the second language for 97% of the pupils, drain on public services the government wont tell the truth, easy and simple way is to cut off all unemployed benefit after six months, 1Billion a month was getting paid out in child benefit and the children were living outside the uk,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../30/nimm130.xml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...3/ncrime123.xml

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/a...&ICL=TOPART

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/Briefingpa..._in_england.asp

Edited by stevewinn

Hmmm... that's an interesting post Questionmark (as ever :) )

The UK government has an appaling record for reporting both immigration figures, and the impact of immigrants on the economy. There is an organisation called "migrationwatch" that has repeatedly punctured their balloon over the last 5 years, to the extent that the Home Secretary issued an order to the civil service to STOP contradicting MigrationWatch's figures when talking to the media. (because - at the time (two years ago) migrationwatch made the government look like idiots).

Well... now we have a *new* "official" report... lets wait and see what MigrationWatch (who are now the de-facto authority, if not the de-jure authority) have to say about it ?

Meow Purr.

Found the newsnight debate,

Im getting fed up with all immigration and muslims, have a laugh! just yesterday my sister who was sitting in on interviewing people for a post in the company she works for had to tell a muslim he didn't get the job, now is sueing her for being racist! UNBELIEVABLE! come to england dont get what you want sue the hell out of us and accuse everyone for being racist!

SSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Excuse me are you english? YOUR RACIST!

Im glad the muslims feel so at home in england...keeps them out of america...i guess the uk is better off with immigration.. :blink:

The British Governments ideology of Multiculturlism will drive the indigenous people to resent migrants, using words such has, Migrants are more reliable and harder working than British-born workers and are boosting economic output, Immigrants have a better work ethic than the British and are willing to work longer hours with less time off sick. Weekly mean earnings of migrants are also £60 higher than their UK counterparts. Once the indigenous people start to see the impact and effects of immigration on crime, education, housing, health and most important jobs and the cost of living, then certain far right political parties will start to gain more ground, at the end of the day we are an island Nation and we need a population limit and once the limit has been reached the Government can go about making the work force more efficient, but the way things are going at the moment i can see us heading down a path that wouldnt make any sense today,

edit: because i write in double dutch,

Edited by stevewinn

Im getting fed up with all immigration and muslims, have a laugh! just yesterday my sister who was sitting in on interviewing people for a post in the company she works for had to tell a muslim he didn't get the job, now is sueing her for being racist! UNBELIEVABLE! come to england dont get what you want sue the hell out of us and accuse everyone for being racist!

SSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Excuse me are you english? YOUR RACIST!

Yes its a pretty,sad state of affairs-my friend's son was sent home from school for wearing an England rugby shirt...because it would offend certain minorities!

Unbeleivable.

As for immigration,I realise it is meant to 'help the economy' but the all the houses,schools,roads,hospitals and prisons are now completely full.

The British Governments ideology of Multiculturlism we will drive the indigenous people to resent migrants, using words such has, Migrants are more reliable and harder working than British-born workers and are boosting economic output, Immigrants have a better work ethic than the British and are willing to work longer hours with less time off sick. Weekly mean earnings of migrants are also £60 higher than their UK counterparts. Once the indigenous people start to see the impact and effects of immigration on crime, education, housing, health and most important jobs and the cost of living, then certain far right political parties will start to gain more ground, at the end of the day we are an island Nation and we need a population limit and once the limit has been reached the Government can go about making the work force more efficient, but the way things are going at the moment i can see us heading down a path that wouldnt make any sense today,

man, we are so lazy. i can only be bothered to work 84 hours a week.

The British Governments ideology of Multiculturlism we will drive the indigenous people to resent migrants, using words such has, Migrants are more reliable and harder working than British-born workers and are boosting economic output, Immigrants have a better work ethic than the British and are willing to work longer hours with less time off sick. Weekly mean earnings of migrants are also £60 higher than their UK counterparts. Once the indigenous people start to see the impact and effects of immigration on crime, education, housing, health and most important jobs and the cost of living, then certain far right political parties will start to gain more ground, at the end of the day we are an island Nation and we need a population limit and once the limit has been reached the Government can go about making the work force more efficient, but the way things are going at the moment i can see us heading down a path that wouldnt make any sense today,

Great points, the BNP are already getting more votes. Immigration doesn't only effect the working class, it affects the poor as well. With more immigrants coming in for ANY job it's making it harder for any actual British person to get a job.

The cons say they're going to tackle immigration, wso I'll be voting for them. But if they don't, it's probably going to be the far right unfortunatly. At least they'll DO something about immigration =/

man, we are so lazy. i can only be bothered to work 84 hours a week.

:lol: You so laaaaazzzzzzeh.

Yes its a pretty,sad state of affairs-my friend's son was sent home from school for wearing an England rugby shirt...because it would offend certain minorities!

Unbeleivable.

As for immigration,I realise it is meant to 'help the economy' but the all the houses,schools,roads,hospitals and prisons are now completely full.

Yeah that p***es me off to. It's FRELLING ENGLAND!!!!

I've just had a thought, if england win against south africa, does this mean the england team are racist? holy crap, all the people will be celebrating in the streets, THE RACISTs S.O.Bs

I've just had a thought, if england win against south africa, does this mean the england team are racist? holy crap, all the people will be celebrating in the streets, THE RACISTs S.O.Bs

did you not read todays papers. Some spanish formula one bloke is saying england is racist and only supporting lewis because we don't have a white alternative. lol.

here http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/1839...ilton-Briatore/

Edited by 1.618

did you not read todays papers. Some spanish formula one bloke is saying england is racist and only supporting lewis because we don't have a white alternative. lol.

we will take no lessons off the Spanish thank you, remember the England V Spain when the Spanish fans where doing a monkey chant/noise every time Englands black players got the ball, the Spanish also got done for racism against the French national team, Spain have a real problem with racism you only have to look at their Footie league week in week out, remember when Samuel Eto'o walked off, one of the best strikers in the world,