Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

One in seven thinks end of world is coming

world

  • Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 38,008 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

Quote

Nearly 15 percent of people worldwide believe the world will end during their lifetime and 10 percent think the Mayan calendar could signify it will happen in 2012, according to a new poll.

The end of the Mayan calendar, which spans about 5,125 years, on December 21, 2012 has sparked interpretations and suggestions that it marks the end of the world.

"Whether they think it will come to an end through the hands of God, or a natural disaster or a political event, whatever the reason, one in seven thinks the end of the world is coming," said Keren Gottfried, research manager at Ipsos Global Public Affairs which conducted the poll for Reuters.

http://www.reuters.c...E8400XH20120501

Posted Image

#2    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,026 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The sixth circle

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

It is coming, every second brings it closer, when the sun swallows the earth.


#3    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

    Government Agent

  • Banned
  • 4,163 posts
  • Joined:03 Sep 2006

  • "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

    "Record

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

And, yet, the vast majority of the world's population believes in a mythical sky-daddy.


#4    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

    Spud the Mackem

  • Member
  • 3,435 posts
  • Joined:28 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yeo Valley,Darkest Somerset.

  • man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Well I guess the Mayans wern't civilised enough to avoid extinction,so when we all wake up on Dec 22nd,and realise that its only 3 more shopping days to Xmas there will be a mass panic to go shopping before the deadline.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#5    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,373 posts
  • Joined:23 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:27North 80West

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

I don't think 'the world is going to end', but I do think there will be some sort of planetary, or cosmic event as we aline with the galactic plane of gravity.

I doubt the species will be eliminated, but I suspect all our little gizmos will no longer function.  Our delicate and fragile society will be disrupted in a major way.


#6    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

    Spud the Mackem

  • Member
  • 3,435 posts
  • Joined:28 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yeo Valley,Darkest Somerset.

  • man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 02 May 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

I don't think 'the world is going to end', but I do think there will be some sort of planetary, or cosmic event as we aline with the galactic plane of gravity.

I doubt the species will be eliminated, but I suspect all our little gizmos will no longer function.  Our delicate and fragile society will be disrupted in a major way.
   Why do you think that something is going to happen ?. It cant be because some semi illiterate guy eons ago,said so,I mean they were that good at predictions they forgot to predict the end of their existance.Its all a load of Moo Poo,the planets line up every few years and no one even notices except those that are into astronomy.Now if the Astronomers say a Huge Brick is coming our way I would start getting worried about which side of the planet its gonna hit and when .And then be on the other side when it arrives .cheers

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#7    Conrad Clough

Conrad Clough

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Joined:09 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Renton WA

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

Of course the end of the world ios comming... everything comes to an end eventually... doubt that it will end in any of our lifetimes though.


#8    RightInTheStatisticals

RightInTheStatisticals

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Joined:29 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fresno, CA

  • Do, or do not, there is no try. ~ A little green alien

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

I don't know how people can think that some cataclysmic event is seriously going to happen on Dec 21, 2012. I mean the 'Mayan' calendar isn't even that accurate of a calendar. I think I read somewhere it had an error rate of 1 day for every 4 years. The Gregorian calendar was actually far better 1 day to 3000 years.

Anyways, defining the 'end of the world' as the total loss or irreversible sequential demise of the human race, a natural cause would seem to be out of the question natural disaters always have signs leading up to them.

Meteor large enough to wipe out all life on the planet? While not as extensive nor effective as the NASA would like at the moment, there is a detection capablilty and something that big we would have seen already.

Super-volcano eruption? Way too many signs we would be seeing now if something like that was imminent.

Rogue black-hole? Again we would be seeing it effects already.

Plague? Sure, a possiblity to happen something that will most likely happen again, but there has never been a plague in the entire span of recorded human history that was capable of wiping us all out.

Zombies? I have my shotgun and baseball bat, not happening.

That leaves man-made, and those options are really limited. In fact, I can only think of the obvious one of nuclear war and the current geo-political clime doesn't exactly show that happening.

Edited by RightInTheStatisticals, 02 May 2012 - 09:43 PM.


#9    Conrad Clough

Conrad Clough

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Joined:09 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Renton WA

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

Quote

I think I read somewhere it had an error rate of 1 day for every 4 years. The Gregorian calendar was actually far better 1 day to 3000 years.
this is actually irrelivent since the mayan long count calender was not measuring years, it was measuring days (and if you are simply measuring how many days apart something is then there is no error).


#10    Sakari

Sakari

    tohi

  • Member
  • 12,151 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

I do not think it is going to on a specific date....

I just hope it does happen, sooner than later.....This cancer on Earth needs to be treated all ready.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#11    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

    Space Cadet

  • Member
  • 5,346 posts
  • Joined:23 Aug 2001
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chi-Town

  • Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:46 AM

View PostRightInTheStatisticals, on 02 May 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

I don't know how people can think that some cataclysmic event is seriously going to happen on Dec 21, 2012. I mean the 'Mayan' calendar isn't even that accurate of a calendar. I think I read somewhere it had an error rate of 1 day for every 4 years. The Gregorian calendar was actually far better 1 day to 3000 years.

Anyways, defining the 'end of the world' as the total loss or irreversible sequential demise of the human race, a natural cause would seem to be out of the question natural disaters always have signs leading up to them.

Meteor large enough to wipe out all life on the planet? While not as extensive nor effective as the NASA would like at the moment, there is a detection capablilty and something that big we would have seen already.

Super-volcano eruption? Way too many signs we would be seeing now if something like that was imminent.

Rogue black-hole? Again we would be seeing it effects already.

Plague? Sure, a possiblity to happen something that will most likely happen again, but there has never been a plague in the entire span of recorded human history that was capable of wiping us all out.

Zombies? I have my shotgun and baseball bat, not happening.

That leaves man-made, and those options are really limited. In fact, I can only think of the obvious one of nuclear war and the current geo-political clime doesn't exactly show that happening.

I vote for Zombies.

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#12    willowdreams

willowdreams

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Joined:12 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

View PostMentalcase, on 03 May 2012 - 02:46 AM, said:

I vote for Zombies.

ooooooohh zombies.. lets see.. i have frozen peas in freezer.. a few backs of tators and some turnips.. and some corn on the cob and butter...

yup.. I am ready for zombies!

(my wisdom tree is up to 438 right now too!)

Posted Image


#13    jules99

jules99

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Joined:07 Oct 2009

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

The world ended years ago and we are all in denial......just ghosts who cant let go.


#14    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

    Spud the Mackem

  • Member
  • 3,435 posts
  • Joined:28 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yeo Valley,Darkest Somerset.

  • man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

View Postwillowdreams, on 03 May 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

ooooooohh zombies.. lets see.. i have frozen peas in freezer.. a few backs of tators and some turnips.. and some corn on the cob and butter...

yup.. I am ready for zombies!

(my wisdom tree is up to 438 right now too!)
   Hi, Sounds like you're gonna have  a Zombie cook in,are they the meat on the menu ? Ooh ! you forgot your baseball bat ! dont worry the gators will get them.I'll come and help you to Zap 'em with my shilaghly

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#15    jesspy

jesspy

    Full of Wisdumb

  • Member
  • 8,101 posts
  • Joined:06 Sep 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canberra, Australia

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostAlienated Being, on 02 May 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

And, yet, the vast majority of the world's population believes in a mythical sky-daddy.

Sky daddy lol. I learnt three terms today "sky daddy, fanta pants and stabby mcjabby"

Anyway I believe the world will end in terms of Humanitys end. The world might not explode but our existance is about to end. It may not be 2012 or my lie time. But there is noway we will make it another 1000 years like this. Earth started without man it wil end without man too.

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.





Also tagged with world

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users