Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Overpopulation

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#76    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,339 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostBling, on 11 November 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

Shall we just stop shagging without contraception, would that solve everything?

Certainly would be a step in the right direction IMO. We have finite resources and the population will be controlled one way or another, if not be us by nature....and nature can be a real *beep*.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#77    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostTrueBeliever, on 10 November 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

I certainly think overpopulation is a real problem and affects everything in our life, from jobs availability to appropriation of natural resources........I am interested in hearing from the fundamentalist christians who believe overpopulation is a myth.......I just do not understand how they do not see the issues involved. Science and math are not their strong point but come on.......it is so obvious!

Did not read beyond page one but your argument is barking up the wrong tree. Most Western countries in fact do not have overpopulation issues. The reverse is true, they do not have enough natives to do every job, so they begin impoting in workers aka immigration. These Christians you are accusing of breeding unethically while the world is facing an overpopulation crisis, is an argument you are making that does not take into account the nuances of the situation.

Third world countries (what used to be called that anyway) is where overpopulation is an issue due to lack of infrastructure for distribution. Whenenever people starve it is not because of a lack of food but a lack of proper distribution.

The sticky part of the argument is that as someone from the West, living in the richest part of the world, to even speak of overpopulation is to speak of issues in the less developed parts of the world. I don't think someone from our part of the world has any say on that part when it comes to them having babies. We can see the problem. The only proper input we should do is go in with education, condoms, and assistance with developing proper distribution networks so they can enjoy the world as we do. Saying whether or not they should have babies is something their own society needs to discuss, we have no say.

Edited by Chasingtherabbit, 17 November 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#78    monk 56

monk 56

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hi Br. Cornelius,

I don't think that Global warming is a scam, and i feel you are right over population levels, so obviously i feel the next fifty years will be very interesting for the human race, for many reasons, perhaps we will overcome difficulties or perhaps we won't.
Nuclear Proliferation is still a major worry, we can only hope we will find a way through difficuties, at the last throw of the dice, usaully thats how we as a race leave things, at the last minute!

I feel the need to lighten the mood, so i add below, although black humour:-

#79    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,543 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 17 November 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

Why do you think this? The earth's population could be reduced by half in two generations, if current  falls in fertility rates continue. If every woman has only one child, then the next generation will be half the numbers of its parent's generation, and the next generation will be only a quarter of its grandparents. That figure is  already being approached in parts of the world.

Given present trends and numbers, once fertility levels fall below replacement levels, it will only take two generations for numbers to  fall very dramatically, once the older generation dies off. So, by the end of this century, the worlds pop could well be less than it is now and in rapid decline.

However, it is not about the numbers but about the resource use and  ecological footprint of individuals. I 'consume", or require for my sustenance as an australian, 2 and a half hectares of the earth's surface. In the third world it is a few square metres per person. It is this inequality which is unsustainable. We can't afford the throw away, wasteful, consumer society of the west.

Humans have the technological abilty to restore both biodiversity and habitat to the earth, once we control population and consumption to sustainable levels. However, while we could reintroduce wooly mamoths dodos and tasmanian tigers to the earth, I am not sure that would be a wise move. Probably halting decline in, and mimimallly improving,  the biodiversity might be safer and more feasible, at least to begin with.
Your not really listening to me here. The damage was done in the period in which populations rose from 3 billion to 7 billion. Any reasonable estimate says we will hit 10billion - that a further 3billion in an already stressed environment.  Ecosystems degrade to the point where they cannot bounce back - they permanently change and there is evidence for this in every part of the globe - especially the oceans. You do not seem to understand the significance of the next 30yrs - its absolutely crucial to the survival of humans as a species - and all the evidence suggests that we will not manage it successfully.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#80    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,543 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostChasingtherabbit, on 17 November 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

Did not read beyond page one but your argument is barking up the wrong tree. Most Western countries in fact do not have overpopulation issues. The reverse is true, they do not have enough natives to do every job, so they begin impoting in workers aka immigration. These Christians you are accusing of breeding unethically while the world is facing an overpopulation crisis, is an argument you are making that does not take into account the nuances of the situation.
It is still the christians which are predominantly against birth control and family planning - they are major deliverers of aid programs and have negative effects on third world countries - they are still actively evangelizing the third world spreading this message widely. They most definitely are a significant part of the problem.
Foreign labour is imported because it is cheaper to do so and it is business who consistently lobbies for lax immigration controls. We do not need foreign works - we could fill all labour posts internally if we so chose.  This is a part of the capitalist system we live under - drive down costs.
However the developed countries are still overwhelmingly responsible for the environmental crisis because of the resource needs and their production of pollutants.

Third world countries (what used to be called that anyway) is where overpopulation is an issue due to lack of infrastructure for distribution. Whenenever people starve it is not because of a lack of food but a lack of proper distribution.
The third world countries are low technology societies which means that they rely on natural eco-services (wood fuel, clean water, etc) which are overtaxed by their low tech lifestyles - this is especially true in the mega cities which have grown massively in the last half century - and almost all of them are in the third world. Mega cities can only be supplied through large scale industrial agriculture - which sucks in land resources across vast areas and disenfranchises peasant farmers - there is currently an epidemic of suicides across India as a direct consequence of the replacement of small farms by industrial scale agriculture.

The sticky part of the argument is that as someone from the West, living in the richest part of the world, to even speak of overpopulation is to speak of issues in the less developed parts of the world. I don't think someone from our part of the world has any say on that part when it comes to them having babies. We can see the problem. The only proper input we should do is go in with education, condoms, and assistance with developing proper distribution networks so they can enjoy the world as we do. Saying whether or not they should have babies is something their own society needs to discuss, we have no say.
We may not have any say, but to deny that the problem is real is to deny reality. Population will continue to rise in the developing world and the Global ecosystem will become increasingly stressed as a direct consequence - that will make it all of our problems.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#81    Tommy13

Tommy13

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Are you kidding? With technology and a good plan, we can bring food and water to the whole world. IMHO, what a ridulous concept.

#82    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,721 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 17 November 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

Your not really listening to me here. The damage was done in the period in which populations rose from 3 billion to 7 billion. Any reasonable estimate says we will hit 10billion - that a further 3billion in an already stressed environment.  Ecosystems degrade to the point where they cannot bounce back - they permanently change and there is evidence for this in every part of the globe - especially the oceans. You do not seem to understand the significance of the next 30yrs - its absolutely crucial to the survival of humans as a species - and all the evidence suggests that we will not manage it successfully.

Br Cornelius
That would be a shame; but a logical, natural consequence of our behaviour. I do all I can, personally, to prevent it;  but on the other hand I have faith in human science and technology.

I think we will not only survive, but  pass into a period of sustainable comfort never seen before on earth, for all human beings. before reaching out to space to expand. My  home state is working towards almost total use of renewable energies, for example.  And we just dont know what advances will be made in technologies in the next decade or two, although we do know they will be exponential compared with present progress.

Wind Power 'The New Baseload' In South Australia

by Energy Matters
Posted Image
Achieving 20% renewable energy in Australia by 2020 isn't impossible - in fact, South Australia has already blown past that goal courtesy of wind energy primarily, with a helping hand from residential solar panel installations.

According to a report from EnergyQuest, wind power derived electricity generation grew by 24% (300 GWh) in the March quarter, contributing just over 3% of east coast generation; with the highest level occurring in South Australia (942 GWh), representing 31% of the State's grid generation.

"In South Australia wind appears to be the new baseload," says EnergyQuest Chief Executive Dr Graeme Bethune.

http://www.energymat...article_id=3231
An additional 4 % is provided by solar power  meaning that over a third of our energy is now renewable We are also trialling hot rocks and wave energy.

Ie we will change the ecosystems back ourselves, not wait for, or rely on, time and evolution. Our abilty to create is just as great as our abilty to destroy. This is already happening on a small scale in places like australia, and will begin in the west where populations are diminishing and technolgy is the most advanced.

As the third world becomes more "modernised", and its own fertility drops to replacement level, as is occuring even now,  along the model of population transition theory, they will follow suit.
Ps not all estimates go to 10 billion. There is a lot of different modelling. Some shows the pop falling back to about 6 million by 2100

Posted Image

Posted ImageWorld population estimates from 1800 to 2100, based on UN 2010 projections (red, orange, green) and US Census Bureau historical estimates (black). According to the highest estimate, the world population may rise to 16 billion by 2100; according to the lowest estimate, it may decline to only 6 billion.

http://en.wikipedia....orld_population

Edited by Mr Walker, 18 November 2012 - 03:15 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#83    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

I imagine sadly that because of the population levels and our travel availability that eventually a global pandemic will reduce the populations of the earth.

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#84    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,543 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

The most reasonable estimate for population  is the middle line. To achieve the bottom line requires significant direct interventions which are not happening - it represents the absolute best case scenario. 10 billion is the best guess based on current trends.

I do not share your confidence in the ability of man to change his ways. The growth of alternative energy is an encouraging trend - but it to little to late. Agriculture is the real ticking time bomb as many agricultural lands are degraded and current levels of production are only sustainable with fossil fuel derived fertilizers.

A complete change of everything in human society is required to make us sustainable and i really cannot see it happening.

Mr Walker - your a technological optimist, a magic bullet thinker. I cannot share  that optimism since I see that every single problem we face is a direct consequence of the unforeseen consequences of technology.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 18 November 2012 - 09:57 AM.

Robert Anton Wilson

#85    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,667 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

View PostTommy13, on 17 November 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Are you kidding? With technology and a good plan, we can bring food and water to the whole world. IMHO, what a ridulous concept.

Whatever you say is obsolete. Maybe we can GIVEN the technology and resources. But we don't. We can't support what we have right now so right off the bat there overpopulation is a problem. More and more people are moving to live in cities and most of the worlds population lives confined in these cities. A breeding ground for a super virus.

We cannot support what we have now, therefore overpopulated. Even taking all from the rich and distributing it all around isn't enough.

#86    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,721 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 18 November 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

The most reasonable estimate for population  is the middle line. To achieve the bottom line requires significant direct interventions which are not happening - it represents the absolute best case scenario. 10 billion is the best guess based on current trends.

I do not share your confidence in the ability of man to change his ways. The growth of alternative energy is an encouraging trend - but it to little to late. Agriculture is the real ticking time bomb as many agricultural lands are degraded and current levels of production are only sustainable with fossil fuel derived fertilizers.

A complete change of everything in human society is required to make us sustainable and i really cannot see it happening.

Mr Walker - your a technological optimist, a magic bullet thinker. I cannot share  that optimism since I see that every single problem we face is a direct consequence of the unforeseen consequences of technology.

Br Cornelius

Is there any time in the past of humanity when you would rather live, or do you agre that the present is the best of all times for most of humanity? And if that is true why shouldnt the future be even better? While technologies do present unforseen problems they improve human life immeasurably in a multitude of ways. It is not the technology but the human nature of mankind which is the real problem, and which must be changed. Current technology allows us to feed up to 10 billion people adequately, if we can distribute the food fairly and equitably. People in the west waste enough food to feed all the people who are starving. For less than 50 cents a meal, I can provide an adequate meal for a child in the third world.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#87    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,721 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 19 November 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

Whatever you say is obsolete. Maybe we can GIVEN the technology and resources. But we don't. We can't support what we have right now so right off the bat there overpopulation is a problem. More and more people are moving to live in cities and most of the worlds population lives confined in these cities. A breeding ground for a super virus.

We cannot support what we have now, therefore overpopulated. Even taking all from the rich and distributing it all around isn't enough.

Actually if everyone in develped countries gave  about 5% of their income, we could not just eliminate poverty and malnutrition/starvation, but also do a lot for sanitation, water supplies and thus health etc. The problem is really not that big, looked at globally.

I agree with you that the problem is that we choose not to.

Edited by Mr Walker, 20 November 2012 - 11:12 AM.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#88    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,543 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 20 November 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

Is there any time in the past of humanity when you would rather live, or do you agre that the present is the best of all times for most of humanity? And if that is true why shouldnt the future be even better? While technologies do present unforseen problems they improve human life immeasurably in a multitude of ways. It is not the technology but the human nature of mankind which is the real problem, and which must be changed. Current technology allows us to feed up to 10 billion people adequately, if we can distribute the food fairly and equitably. People in the west waste enough food to feed all the people who are starving. For less than 50 cents a meal, I can provide an adequate meal for a child in the third world.
I would choose to lead that short and brutal life which existed in the period before civilization. For me civilization has taken us away from our true nature as caring sharing creatures of manageble community size. Civilization has been a slow progression towards a smaller proportion of the society exploiting a larger portion of their fellow humans. It has been designed to serve the needs of a smaller and smaller elite.

I maybe a romantic, but I truely believe that there was a time likened to the Garden of Eden where life was a simple state of grace.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#89    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,543 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 20 November 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Actually if everyone in develped countries gave  about 5% of their income, we could not just eliminate poverty and malnutrition/starvation, but also do a lot for sanitation, water supplies and thus health etc. The problem is really not that big, looked at globally.

I agree with you that the problem is that we choose not to.
The problem is, that no matter how you redistribute the resources - we are living an unsustainable life which has an inevitable brick wall moment. We could all live a better life by redistribution to the developing world - but it would still destroy the eco-system we rely on for survival.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#90    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,721 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 20 November 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

I would choose to lead that short and brutal life which existed in the period before civilization. For me civilization has taken us away from our true nature as caring sharing creatures of manageble community size. Civilization has been a slow progression towards a smaller proportion of the society exploiting a larger portion of their fellow humans. It has been designed to serve the needs of a smaller and smaller elite.

I maybe a romantic, but I truely believe that there was a time likened to the Garden of Eden where life was a simple state of grace.

Br Cornelius
Ah well then i can understand your pov even if i disagree, and  I can appreciate that you are true to your core belief. I grew up with a grandnother born before anaesthetics, (at least in her home town) electricity, or any modern medicines like penicillin.  She made it clear to me that  times had improved considerably as technology progressed and i have seen the same thing occur over my lifetime. Humans still stuff things up, but life is better for most. Just imagine a tooth dieing and rotting out, without any anaesthetic or dentistry.  The nature of civilization also provides benefits to all members of it, even if we tend to take  them for granted.Eg it allows centralised education of all people.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users