Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

England have won the Ashes.

Blackleaf

We've done it!

1st innings

England - 373.

Australia - 367.

2nd innings

England - 335

Australia - 4-0

Australia decided to end the game at that point, admitting that they could not come back from so far behind.

The game ended as a draw and England win the Series 2-1.

Edited by Blackleaf

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wrighty

• Blackleaf

• AztecInca

• Jake Blood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't see the point in all these topics but we could use this one as a party thread since we won for the first time in ages. Now let the celebrations begin. Wooohoooo.

England win Ashes for first since since 1987.

Highlights of the Final Test.

user posted image

England again won the toss and decided to bat first in the fifth and final Test of this enthralling Ashes series at the Brit Oval.

© Pic: Alan Walter

----------------------------

user posted image

Marcus Trescothick and Andrew Strauss put on 82 for the first wicket. Trescothick fell to a fine catch by Matthew Hayden at slip for 43.

© Reuters

---------------------------

user posted image

Michael Vaughan and Ian Bell fell cheaply but Andrew Strauss continued to be the rock on which England's innings was built. He formed a partnership with Andrew Flintoff worth 143 after Kevin Pietersen departed as Warne's fifth victim.

© PA

user posted image

Australia celebrate taking an England wicket. A good catch off bat and pad by Simon Katich saw the end of Strauss' innings for 129. England close on 319-7. A small wag of the tail sees England reach 373 all out.

© Reuters

user posted image

Matthew Hayden bludgeoned his first century of the series, and Justin Langer also hit a century as the Australians reached 185 before Harmison bowled Langer.

© Reuters

--------------------------

user posted image

England celebrate taking an Australian wicket. Andrew Flintoff took five wickets as England took the final seven Australian wickets for just 90 runs and gained a first innings lead of six runs.

© PA

-------------------------------

user posted image

England fans CELEBRATE the rain. Rain played its part throughout the match, with England also coming off for bad light on the evening of the fourth day.

© PA

----------------------------------

user posted image

Shane Warne become the highest wicket-taker in Ashes history on the final day of the fifth Test as Australia gained the early upper hand, with England wobbling on 67-3.

© PA

--------------------------------

user posted image

But Kevin Pietersen held England's innings together and completed a brilliant century, his first one in Test cricket. His 158 guided England to 335 all out, batting Australia out of the game, and making sure England triumphed in this remarkable Ashes series.

© Pic: Graham Chadwick

dailymail.co.uk

user posted image

Well done England. Lets open the bubbly user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Heres some more. The one with the trophies the sweatest of them all.

post-21264-1126549419_thumb.jpg

post-21264-1126549487_thumb.jpg

post-21264-1126549533_thumb.jpg

post-21264-1126549555_thumb.jpg

post-21264-1126551642_thumb.jpg

Edited by wrighty

I take my hat off to a superb performance by England who have proven just how good they are and hopefully this will give the Aussies the kick up the a*** that they need to get back to dominating the rest of the world.

Cant wait for the start of the next ashes series at the end of next year!

hopefully this will give the Aussies the kick up the a*** that they need to get back to dominating the rest of the world.

thumbsup.gif

Enjoy it while it lasts England tongue.gif

I think the next Ashes Series starts in December 2006.

England, hopefully, will be even stronger then, so Australia might have a job trying to get the Ashes back.

Congratulations to England - the superior team on the day.

But as I said before, is it really necessary to start an entirely new thread?

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS MY FREIND!!!Sorry Australia you put up a good fight and it was an excellent series but WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!

If they get better each time then i can't wait till the next one

^It is indeed set to be another epic and this time there should be no impact by the weather. I hope next time it comes down to the final test with both sides on two wins that would really set it up as another awesome series.

Also unless Australia lose every test from now on and England win every one of the tests they play with the ranking system it will decide who is 1st and 2nd although. AS our lead is quite large after the last 4 years of domination of the rest of the world we may only have to win a couple of tests before the next ashes series to retain number the 1 ranking even if we lost that series as well.

But as our players are not used to deafeat and are quite ashamed by their perfromances over in England their hunger to bring back the ashes will be tremendous and this time when it all starts on the boxing day test at the MCG there could be nearly 100,000 aussies there supporting our cricket team.

AS our lead is quite large after the last 4 years of domination of the rest of the world we may only have to win a couple of tests before the next ashes series to retain number  the 1 ranking

844842[/snapback]

Your "large" lead? What large lead? I think Australia are only 4 or 5 points ahead of England in the World Rankings. We play Pakistan next month and if we beat them we WILL overtake you.

I expect England to dominate the next 10-15 of world cricket as Australia have dominated the last 10-15 years and the West Indies the 10-15 years before that.

No blackleaf your quite wrong in fact...

Even if England wins all three of its Tests in Pakistan on its upcoming tour, Australia will still end the year in first place unless it loses its home series to eighth ranked West Indies.

If England manages to win not only in Pakistan but also its three Test series in India, its rating would reach at least 121 and would touch 125 if it were to win all six of its winter Tests.

Australia has upcoming home Test series against West Indies and South Africa. If it either wins both these series or wins one series 3-0 and draws the other, then its rating will be at least 126 and hence remain out of England's reach.

If England and Australia both continue to perform well in Tests against all other countries, then the next series between the sides in 2006/07 will not only have the Ashes at stake but also the leadership of the LG ICC Test Championship.

from the ICC website.

Australia will still end the year in first place unless it loses its home series to eighth ranked West Indies

Australia will lose that game, and no matter where England are ranked we are still the best team in the world and I don't think Australia will come anywhere to beating us for a long time.

In December 2006, when we next play you, we'll be even stronger then than what we are now.

And the Aussies, the players and the public, are so unbelievably arrogant that every cricket team loves to beat you.

Edited by Blackleaf

And the Aussies, the players and the public, are so unbelievably arrogant that every cricket team loves to beat you.

What do you base that on ?

The Entire world loves to watch you lose, not the Aussies.

LOL @ the pathetic celebrations, it wasnt even a world cup you beat one team ffs.

Then you talk about world domination........ laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Scar

Australia will lose that game, and no matter where England are ranked we are still the best team in the world and I don't think Australia will come anywhere to beating us for a long time.

You beat us...2 to 1.... it wasnt 5 zip..... what the hell are you talking about????

No, they love to beat us because we are the best...... No-one in the cricket world cares about beating england for everyone has done that quite enough....

As for us being arrogant? Australia have been almost unbeaten for a decade in test series, and you claim we are arrogant... Now you win one against us, which we were due to lose anyway, and you claim to be world beaters..... I can only see one sign of arrogance in that statement.....

As for not coming anywhere near you.... we drew the one day series with you, and beat you in the other one day set of matches...... then only lost 2 of 5 tests..... So please, dont flatter yourself. Australia were 4 nil up in the last series before losing the lat one, which didnt matter... and you carried on like it was them starting to turn it on....

Australia have not reacted to this loss savagely... in most circles its regarded as the best thing to happen to cricket in a while... because when australia were the best... by a mile... we dominated everyone.... 3 day tests and such... We finally might see two good cricket teams....

Anyhow, I as many of my fellow australian's do not like being called arrogant. We support our team, but we are not the ones making outlandish statements. Not once has anyone here had a go at english supporters that I can see. So please, think before you post.

^Go Subby go! I agree with you fully there. Losing this series may well have been the best thing that could happen to the Australian cricket team. We needed a challenge and to be shown that the gap was closing between us and the rest of the world.