Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl On The Gravestone

Sightings

Taken at Bachelors Grove Cemetery in Illionois, this photograph developed to reveal a woman sitting on a gravestone.

user posted image

The woman was not there when the picture was taken.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Althalus

• Loonboy

• ~Kelly~

• man_in_mudboots

I have heard of this photo and am wondering if the photo you posted is the whole image or just a part. The reason being, if you take away the woman, you're left with a pretty uninteresting photo and what would be the reason for taking it? However, if it's part of a larger photo with a different subject, then I might start buying it.

ph34r.gif

I've never seen a larger version of this photograph, but it would make sense that the photographer had taken a picture of more than just a small gravestone and a tree.

I'll keep an eye out for more info on this picture, something could easily be missing.

Bachelor's Grove Cemetery is located on the edge of the Rubio Woods Forest Preserve, near the suburb of Midlothian, Illinois. Follow I-294 south to Cicero Ave and take the Midlothian Turnpike. Go west to the Rubio Woods Forest Preserve. It is off of the main road and down a gravel path.

This cemetery, one of the most active as far as paranormal events go, was officially established in 1864, although there are plots there from as far back as 30 years before. It was so named because of the great number of bachelors who were buried there, many of which were German immigrants who helped build the Illinois-Michigan Canal. The last burial there was in 1965, at which time the place was already desecrated and vandalized. During prohibition, the lagoon that borders the cemetery was a "popular dumping ground" for those who crossed the Chicago mafia. The other odd occurrence that happened here was that of a farmer in the 1870's whose horse slid into the lagoon along with the plow, thus killing itself and the farmer who was strapped to it.

Specters and sightings in this cemetery include:

The White Lady (aka Mrs. Rogers, aka The Madonna of Bachelor's Grove): only during a full moon will this "lady in white " appear. Said to be a woman who was buried there next to her son. She is carrying a baby, in some accounts.

The Phantom Farmhouse: Reported many times especially in the 1950's, an idyllic white farm house, complete with porch swing and picket fence, has been said to appear then disappear off of the gravel path that leads to the cemetery.

The Ill Fated Farmer and his Horse and Plow: as described above... near the lagoon, of course.

A Two-Headed Ghost: near the lagoon

Various ghosts, including a yellow glowing apparition, people in monk's robes, and a ghost that a woman claimed to have passed her hand through on the path.

Spook lights: Including most commonly blue lights that dart about in a manner that seems planned, in other accounts red darting lights that leave a comet-like trail.

Phantom Vintage Cars and Trucks: said to appear along the turnpike outside of the cemetery. People have had what they thought was an accident after colliding with cars on this curve; when they get out to investigate, there is no damage-- even though the drivers have distinctly heard the noises associated with twisting metal and broken glass. The car that caused the crash is nowhere to be seen.

The info added from the link that Druss posted certainly explains why someone would take a picture of that location in that way. What is now problematic is: what sort of things did the others see there which would make them take a shot with an infrared camera?

I wonder if anyone else has been back to the site since then and caught anything in that location. If they did manage to capture the same thing or something similar, then would that be good evidence for ghosts?

huh.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i agree that the photographer wouldnt have taken this picture had there not been someone sitting there... its just half a tree and a gravestone, boring.

sry guys im really not buying into this 1 dry.gifdry.gifdry.gif

I think someone got his GF to sit on the gravestone...and cliked the pic...and then started flaunting about it....nuthin' more....calm down guys... dry.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Looks to me like a lady sitting on a gravestone.

I don't think this is a real ghost. Take the lady out and it's a scene that a normal person just wouldn't photograph.

-------

you have apoint, if you do take the lady out of the picture, no-one that I know would take a picture of that scene, unless they were trying to usew up the film so they could get it developed

Guest banger
I think someone got his GF to sit on the gravestone...and cliked the pic...and then started flaunting about it....nuthin' more....calm down guys... dry.gif

Ive Been To Bacholers Grove Pleanty of Times and seen some real wierd things happen

Guest banger

I Have Been To Bacholers Grove on Many accounts,but one time inperticular Me and some friends Went there around 8:30 at night and as we were walking through there 4 guys in hooded robes came walking toward us.We didnt know what to do so we kept walking at them. When they approched us they walked inbetween us.I caught a glimps of there faces and it looked all fuzzy and blurrey like something i have never seen before.When we turned around they were all gone. My buddy even has a picture of him sitting on the mother and infant grave plot with smoke swirling around his feet and legs

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice picture ,but how is one to believe your statement.That the woman was not there.I am not try to say this person is fabricating this ,but the statement is not proof in and of itself.I have know people who have had thing happen in their house for one reason,so there might be something to this,what I don't know.

What do other think of this picture and why do you think it is real or a hoax? blink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I know many of people that take pictures of their loved ones grave sites, that could have been the case here, too..

• 2 weeks later...

It struck me as very odd (unless the photo was trimmed) that anyone would take that particular scene without a ghost. I think it was staged.