Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * - 7 votes

Show us your EGO!


  • Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#286    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Joined:06 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East Coast

  • Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 29 January 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

Probably right but anyone who denies an occasional yearning for a dislike button is lying. Don't let your egos get in the way of that truth.

I call the idea of dislike a waste of time. The things I view dislike or disgust, I won't give any attention to simply because I don't care about them enough to warrant any of my time and effort on them. (This goes for likes as well just because I like something doesn't mean I will always put my time and effort in to it)

Now the things I hate and love are things I will always give attention to. These are the things I care about on some level. Not all love is good and not all hate is bad.

Edited by Jinxdom, 30 January 2013 - 03:07 AM.


#287    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

    Undecided, mostly.

  • Member
  • 3,993 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Likely, Canada

  • "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

View Postjoc, on 29 January 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:


(Directed to Sherapy) I 'Liked' your post...just because I 'like' you! ;)

I 'liked' Sherapy's last post for two reasons.

1) I liked the post and...

2) She's been here almost 8 years and has probably rendered 20,000 well thought out, decent comments. Her 'Like Count' is too low so, from now on, I'm going to 'Like' every damn thing she says. :) Anyone else?

Edit: (Unless she goes batcrap crazy.)

Edited by Likely Guy, 30 January 2013 - 05:12 AM.


#288    Professor T

Professor T

    Λ Ο Δ

  • Member
  • 2,400 posts
  • Joined:11 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 29 January 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

Probably right but anyone who denies an occasional yearning for a dislike button is lying. Don't let your egos get in the way of that truth.

Agree here..

Sometimes I find a comment misguided, as in I can see that the person's perspective on something is wrong as far as I'm concerned. When this Happens, I comment about their comment in the hope of allowing them to change their minds.. I'm glad we don't have a "Hate" or "Dislike" button because that would ruin the only chance that person has of learning to see the error of their ways..

Edited to add: there are one or two users here who just don't listen, or dont want to listen.. I don't even comment on their posts anymore, and ignore them..

Edited by Professor T, 30 January 2013 - 05:58 PM.


#289    Professor T

Professor T

    Λ Ο Δ

  • Member
  • 2,400 posts
  • Joined:11 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostSherapy, on 29 January 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

Why do you say/think you are a social dweeb? If I may ask (and I ask out of curiosity.)
Am to introverted.. I feel the outsider in social occasions..
But once I've had a few beers, then a few more, then a few more, I become the life of the party, lol...


#290    Professor T

Professor T

    Λ Ο Δ

  • Member
  • 2,400 posts
  • Joined:11 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

View PostSherapy, on 29 January 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

On others opinions?
Are you saying that a gentler approach works with you as opposed to a  direct/assertive approach?
Not at all.
What I was saying is that that when a person takes issue with my opinions it is their problem, not mine..

There is a flow of opinion & energy from ourselves into the world. This flow is what we Project as our perceptions be them Egotistic or Centered.. If I project an egotistical opinion and someone takes offence it is their problem, not mine..

If however, rather than taking offence this person offers a rebuttal that is not an Ego on Ego battle but an Ego on a centered true self battle,  then the problem becomes mine, or, I think, to be more precise, the accountability of the ego problem becomes mine to deal with.. I might be wrong, but Ego vs Ego is a battle that cannot be won.. Where'as Ego vs' a true centered self is not a battle or contest.

Edited by Professor T, 30 January 2013 - 06:05 PM.


#291    Professor T

Professor T

    Λ Ο Δ

  • Member
  • 2,400 posts
  • Joined:11 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

View Postjoc, on 29 January 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

I 'Liked' your post...just because I 'like' you! ;)

View PostLikely Guy, on 30 January 2013 - 05:09 AM, said:

I 'liked' Sherapy's last post for two reasons.

1) I liked the post and...

2) She's been here almost 8 years and has probably rendered 20,000 well thought out, decent comments. Her 'Like Count' is too low so, from now on, I'm going to 'Like' every damn thing she says. :) Anyone else?

Edit: (Unless she goes batcrap crazy.)

I Liked Sherapy's Post because Joc and Likely Guy liked it and my Ego felt left out and compelled to like it. :whistle:

Edited by Professor T, 30 January 2013 - 06:14 PM.


#292    Sherapy

Sherapy

    Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

  • Member
  • 21,714 posts
  • Joined:14 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:At the Beach-- San Pedro, California

  • The giving of love is an education in itself.
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

View Postjoc, on 29 January 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

I 'Liked' your post...just because I 'like' you! ;)

Hello dear UM friend, great to see you posting! Joc in my posting experience has treated me fairly and has demonstrated a willingness to consider my perspective and understand it even when he doesn't  agree and many times he does not. I have nothing but respect for this poster, he exercises maturity and respectfulness regardless of his stance on things ( and he is passionate about his POV).




#293    Sherapy

Sherapy

    Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

  • Member
  • 21,714 posts
  • Joined:14 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:At the Beach-- San Pedro, California

  • The giving of love is an education in itself.
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 30 January 2013 - 05:09 AM, said:

I 'liked' Sherapy's last post for two reasons.

1) I liked the post and...

2) She's been here almost 8 years and has probably rendered 20,000 well thought out, decent comments. Her 'Like Count' is too low so, from now on, I'm going to 'Like' every damn thing she says. :) Anyone else?

Edit: (Unless she goes batcrap crazy.)
Thank you for your kind gesture. It speaks to me of a  person who is inclusive and looks for something to like in others.




#294    Sherapy

Sherapy

    Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

  • Member
  • 21,714 posts
  • Joined:14 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:At the Beach-- San Pedro, California

  • The giving of love is an education in itself.
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 30 January 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

Am to introverted.. I feel the outsider in social occasions..
But once I've had a few beers, then a few more, then a few more, I become the life of the party, lol...

I admire introverts being an extravert; in fact, I have become a more tempered extravert because  of my introvert son and hubby. There is a lot to be said for being an active listener and observant. Good for you!




#295    Sherapy

Sherapy

    Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

  • Member
  • 21,714 posts
  • Joined:14 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:At the Beach-- San Pedro, California

  • The giving of love is an education in itself.
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 30 January 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Not at all.
What I was saying is that that when a person takes issue with my opinions it is their problem, not mine..

There is a flow of opinion & energy from ourselves into the world. This flow is what we Project as our perceptions be them Egotistic or Centered.. If I project an egotistical opinion and someone takes offence it is their problem, not mine..

If however, rather than taking offence this person offers a rebuttal that is not an Ego on Ego battle but an Ego on a centered true self battle,  then the problem becomes mine, or, I think, to be more precise, the accountability of the ego problem becomes mine to deal with.. I might be wrong, but Ego vs Ego is a battle that cannot be won.. Where'as Ego vs' a true centered self is not a battle or contest.

I am glad I asked now I have a clearer pic of your POV. Thank you for taking the time to respond.




#296    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 12,586 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • I dunno --

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 30 January 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Agree here..

Sometimes I find a comment misguided, as in I can see that the person's perspective on something is wrong as far as I'm concerned. When this Happens, I comment about their comment in the hope of allowing them to change their minds.. I'm glad we don't have a "Hate" or "Dislike" button because that would ruin the only chance that person has of learning to see the error of their ways..

Edited to add: there are one or two users here who just don't listen, or dont want to listen.. I don't even comment on their posts anymore, and ignore them..
Okay, your comment is not misguided and I don't have to comment in the hope of changing your mind.  I will however say that I haven't yet found any users I want to ignore, but I may.  Messages in threads I follow do often get skipped -- I gotta have a life and I gotta sleep.


#297    Professor T

Professor T

    Λ Ο Δ

  • Member
  • 2,400 posts
  • Joined:11 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 30 January 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

Okay, your comment is not misguided and I don't have to comment in the hope of changing your mind.  I will however say that I haven't yet found any users I want to ignore, but I may.  Messages in threads I follow do often get skipped -- I gotta have a life and I gotta sleep.
:lol: , by Ignore I mean that I no longer respond to their posts which are always attacking.


#298    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 29 January 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

Another consideration not considered is the number of posts someone has, before we 'like' their comment. Any comments?

'Likes' are new making those who have been here a while seem hated lol


#299    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 12,586 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • I dunno --

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 30 January 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

:lol: , by Ignore I mean that I no longer respond to their posts which are always attacking.
Often I think long and hard about whether or not I should respond to an aggressive or insulting post, and my ego (I am always able to persuade myself that I should be able to bring them to their senses) generally causes me to respond.  Of course what follows is never what I thought would happen, and I fail in my mission.

Since what we post or don't post here is hardly going to change anything, not responding is probably better; let them stew in their own juice.  Still, it seems to me that not at least trying to correct such things leaves a certain unresolved disturbance in the universe -- a disharmony, a rough edge, a karmic tear.


#300    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 12,586 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • I dunno --

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 30 January 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

'Likes' are new making those who have been here a while seem hated lol
I think it rather silly for people to worry about the count of their likes.  Popular appeal has nothing to do with either truth or righteousness.  Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't occasionally give me one. :yes:





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users