Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Are The Black-Eyed Children Entities Real?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostAvallaine, on 13 September 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Hmm.  Not sure what you're saying here.  Is it "He would, because he's a hoaxer who's still getting something out of it?"  Because it's an equally valid hypothesis to say "He would, because it happened and he's just relating it as he remembers."  Either motive would be sufficient to keep his story consistent.

From what I understand, Mr. Bethel didn't write his account for a commercial venture, he told it online for free.  His being a journalist was peripheral to the story itself.  Of course, it meant that it was far better written than most peoples' personal encounters, and I'm sure that contributed to its popularity.  He also had little to do with how the story took off afterward and became an urban legend.

Believing he's sincerely relating something that happened to him is not the same thing as believing his impressions or conclusions about it are objectively true.
Right, so because Mr Bethel didn't get paid for his one person account of what happened it must be true. Oh, Ok, Everything is so simple now. Thanks for the clarification, Black eyed kids are real. How could I have been so blind.

#62    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

I wasn't denying it, I was giving my opinion which is what these forums are all about. We can't simply assume because a journalist reported it, that its true, In fact we should assume the opposite first.

#63    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

Somehow we all know Mr Bethel is a journalist, Why didn't he go anonymous if the fact is so unimportant?

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing, 13 September 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#64    Avallaine

Avallaine

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:13 AM

View PostSheWomanCatTypeThing, on 13 September 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Right, so because Mr Bethel didn't get paid for his one person account of what happened it must be true. Oh, Ok, Everything is so simple now. Thanks for the clarification, Black eyed kids are real. How could I have been so blind.

I believe you missed the part where I said "Believing he's sincerely relating something that happened to him is not the same thing as believing his impressions or conclusions about it are objectively true."

I wasn't denying it, I was giving my opinion which is what these forums are all about.

Yes, but it would be nice to hear some of the reasons for your opinions and conclusions...

We can't simply assume because a journalist reported it, that its true, In fact we should assume the opposite first.

Now, that I don't quite follow.  The term "journalist" covers a wide range of activities; the only thing most of them have in common is they gather news and information and spread it to others.  I don't think that makes them either more or less likely to have strange experiences, nor do I think it makes them more or less believable when they report them.  About the only difference I think it makes is that they're often decent writers, so their accounts may be more enjoyable to read than some others--but enjoyability, of course, doesn't mean accuracy.  Certain kinds of journalists may qualify as "trained observers," like police or pilots, but I don't believe he's that sort of "action news reporter."

Somehow we all know Mr Bethel is a journalist, Why didn't he go anonymous if the fact is so unimportant?

Why should he go anonymous?  Seriously, I'm not getting where you're coming from here.  What makes journalists so suspicious in your book?  It's a job, like any other.  If he was a tabloid reporter or something, I could see your point, but as it is, I'm just baffled.

Just to clarify: I have no problem with you being skeptical about the Black-Eyed Kids.  I don't actually believe in them, either.  I do believe, based on his story and comments he's made afterward, that Brian Bethel's sincerely relating what he thinks happened to him.  He doesn't act like a hoaxer; he's not vague about the details, and he doesn't keep changing his story over the years to make it juicier; he hasn't written a series of bestselling tomes about the Black Eyed Children Apocalypse, or go around giving ten-thousand-dollar lectures on the Black Eyed Children World Conspiracy.  

So I'm really kind of puzzled that you're so sure he's a hoaxer.  What convinced you that that was the case?  Is it merely that his story is so unbelievable?  Or is it the hype which grew up about BEK's after the fact (which, as I said before, Brian Bethel had little to do with)?

You said before that you thought the original story "quickly spread like wildfire, As these things tend to . My guess is people have heard these stories then encountered some unpleasant teenagers some time later (lets face it, who hasn't) and the mind makes the rest up."  That's reasonable enough--I have no argument with it.  But that sort of thing is just as likely to happen whether the original story is sincere, or hoaxed.  To me, the story has all the earmarks of a sincere one.  I guess I'd just like to hear what gave you the complete opposite impression.

Edited by Avallaine, 14 September 2013 - 02:14 AM.

#65    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

whoa, got fed up about a quarter of a way through your rant there and fell asleep. As I said, its my opinion which can and does differ to yours, This happens in life quite a lot and I see no need to justify it to you or explain myself further to you when I have already explained my thoughts.

#66    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

Also if you dont believe in them either, why are you so irate about my comments regarding Mr bethel and the press? Its my opinion.

#67    Avallaine

Avallaine

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostSheWomanCatTypeThing, on 14 September 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

whoa, got fed up about a quarter of a way through your rant there and fell asleep. As I said, its my opinion which can and does differ to yours, This happens in life quite a lot and I see no need to justify it to you or explain myself further to you when I have already explained my thoughts.

No, you haven't explained your thoughts.  You've just stated your thoughts.

And I only wanted to discuss them further because a forum is a place for, well...discussion.

Also if you dont believe in them either, why are you so irate about my comments regarding Mr bethel and the press? Its my opinion.

I'm not irate, I'm confused.  Your opinions about this don't seem to make any sense.

I guess, if all you mean by your "opinion" is your personal likes and dislikes, then there really isn't anything to discuss further....  :hmm:

#68    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

No, by opinion I meant opinion, I guess because its not your opinion you have a problem with that. We all have differences of opinion the world would be a rather boring place if we didnt.

#69    Avallaine

Avallaine

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

Hey, I love the fact that people have different opinions.  Discussing them is one of life's greatest pleasures.

But even when I disagree with an opinion, I like to understand them.  When they don't make sense to me, I want to know more.

But, if you don't want to talk about the reasons behind yours, then there's nothing to understand...and, therefore, nothing to discuss.

#70    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

I am not the greatest fan of the press, never have been, never will be, I will admit I shouldnt have said we should assume the opposite of what they say is true, thats down to the individual and was not meant to be taken literally.

#71    Avallaine

Avallaine

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

Okay, cool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users