Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How feasible is space mining ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,083 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

Can  Eric Anderson and Chris Lewicki of Planetary Resources actually succeed in mining asteroids ?

New Scientist said:

What do those in the know make of the bold plans dreamed up by wannabe asteroid miners Eric Anderson and Chris Lewicki of Planetary Resources?

Posted Image Read more...

#2    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Good idea but i don't think it will happen in my life time,potential though for big problems towing asteroids into close Earth orbit,especially if some one get's their maths wrong.

Wouldn't it cause big problems though?If for instance, Earth markets were flooded with precious metals.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,973 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

I hope they are able to pursue the technology.  Even if it turns to be a failure from a profitability standpoint it might still provide much needed knowledge of how to maneuver or even change the trajectory of a potentially earth threatening body in space.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#4    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,388 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

I read the article, and I don't think it addressed the issue of "which" asteroids to mine.
Like, how do you know that a particular asteroid is 50% platinum, for example, or some other highly valuable substance?

And I agree with "and then" that the technology might prove useful in dealing with possible asteriod hits.

#5    Occams Razor

Occams Razor

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

• Of two or more competing theories the simplest explanation is most likely to be the right one.

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Sci-fi, Nostromo style. Mineral ore mining, off planet!!! They're on drugs.

What would they mine? Whatever it is would have to be incredibly small, light, and unimaginably valuable to make it commercially viable. It's got to be an investment con.

Edited by Occams Razor, 25 August 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#6    Occams Razor

Occams Razor

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

• Of two or more competing theories the simplest explanation is most likely to be the right one.

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostSaru, on 25 August 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

Can  Eric Anderson and Chris Lewicki of Planetary Resources actually succeed in mining asteroids ?

No, not a chance, pure fantasy.

#7    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,902 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

First problem - How to stop the pit-ponies floating away!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#8    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

Yeah, bring an asteroid into close Earth orbit...what could go wrong??

#9    goodgodno

goodgodno

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

• Explore. Dream. Discover.

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

Anything is mineable as long as it has economic value.  A lot of mines opening up at the moment which have low grade ore wouldn't have been considered a couple of years ago, but as the prices have risen they have become a profitable option.  I can't see asteroids economic and today's prices, but in 20/30/40 years, it could be a real option.  As long as the price is right.

#10    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 25 August 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

Good idea but i don't think it will happen in my life time,potential though for big problems towing asteroids into close Earth orbit,especially if some one get's their maths wrong.

Wouldn't it cause big problems though?If for instance, Earth markets were flooded with precious metals.

Probably the most likely metal they would find is iron, a common component of metallic meteors. Should they find enough gold/silver/platinum to make those common metals, they do have many valuable uses outside of coins and jewelry and there is the cost factor of retrieval, so precious metals may still be quite precious even if found in abundance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users