Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The touching of the Ouija

Nadia B.

Fads have come and gone, but the Ouija board has remained. I believe everyone here knows what an ouija board is, but just in case you don't, here's a pic and slighted description. Sorry in advance for the hotlink, but I won't even save the image to my computer. It's just one of my things.

ouija-board.gif

So, the planchet (that lil heart shaped thingy) is placed on the board. People sit around and are supposed to just hover their fingers over it and ask the spirits questions. The spirits will respond by moving the planchet over the letters and whatnot. Of course, this is the board game version, there are many made up versions to be had as well.

So here's my question.

WHY do people have to put their fingers over the planchet? I mean, you aren't controlling it... the spirits are. Why not just sit around it and ask questions? That would leave a lot less room for trickery, yes? I can't imagine hovering your fingers over it will give it any more power than normal, so why? I never understood this.

Edited by Enid Nimue

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakari

• FlyingAngel

• Agent. Mulder

• Nadia B.

I actually think the the Ideomotor Effect. Which is basically your arm moving without you even knowing.

Well, see that's my point. I think a lot of the jerks and bumps are due to being so close to the thing. I know this topic will be a field day for skeptics but really, I want to know why this procedure is required. I'll tell you why I wonder this, and the first person that shouts TK, I'll kick their butt. :lol:

The last time I messed with an ouija board, I was in high school. I had a spirit hanging around me and wanted know what it wanted. I got my stepbrother's board and tried to contact it alone. At first, I was touching it just barely, then said no. If he wants to talk, he will. So I sat back and asked what do you want. I was sitting indian style on my floor with the board in front of me and my hands in my lap. Nothing happened. I asked again. It spelled out "stop". All by itself. I swear to you, it did. I dragged the planchet to goodbye and sent it back under my brother's bed. :lol: I've never touched another since.

So again, what's the need for touching? As far as I can tell, there IS no need.

Edited by Enid Nimue

Good question! I would like to know aswell! :yes:

I would say some form of magnetism maybe. I don't believe the planchet ouijas work. I think theres magnets in there, somehow your hand completes the magnetism. Did that make any sense?? I'm a bit tired, lol.

Maybe it works as some type of mediumship. One person is receiving the message psychically and subconsciously moves the "planchet" or whatever it is..

Well, see that's my point. I think a lot of the jerks and bumps are due to being so close to the thing. I know this topic will be a field day for skeptics but really, I want to know why this procedure is required. I'll tell you why I wonder this, and the first person that shouts TK, I'll kick their butt. :lol:

The last time I messed with an ouija board, I was in high school. I had a spirit hanging around me and wanted know what it wanted. I got my stepbrother's board and tried to contact it alone. At first, I was touching it just barely, then said no. If he wants to talk, he will. So I sat back and asked what do you want. I was sitting indian style on my floor with the board in front of me and my hands in my lap. Nothing happened. I asked again. It spelled out "stop". All by itself. I swear to you, it did. I dragged the planchet to goodbye and sent it back under my brother's bed. :lol: I've never touched another since.

So again, what's the need for touching? As far as I can tell, there IS no need.

You're completely right if there is a ghost there would be no need to touch it!!

You're completely right if there is a ghost there would be no need to touch it!!

Same here. It's a good question for sure. I've always wondered this myself. I tend think the Ideometer Effect is a plausible explanation. Although I fall somewhere between a skeptic and a believer, I will say I know I want nothing to do with ouija boards. Even if that sounds silly and even if can't completely justify it, I just know that's how I feel.

Edited by Kaleidoscope Eyes

Human energy is physical energy. Ghost energy is astral energy. The ghost is there but it's actually not physically there. They co-exist with us but on a different plane of existence. Your mind is a medium, ghosts send signal to your brain and your brain decode it into physical signal.

I would say some form of magnetism maybe. I don't believe the planchet ouijas work. I think theres magnets in there, somehow your hand completes the magnetism. Did that make any sense?? I'm a bit tired, lol.

Maybe it works as some type of mediumship. One person is receiving the message psychically and subconsciously moves the "planchet" or whatever it is..

You think there are magnets in the board? That would be easy to determine I suppose. As far as your hands go, unless someone has put magnets in them, they are not magnetic. Even if there were magnets in the board and your hands, how do you think that would generate meaningfull responses?

It is a good question. I personally have only used a ouija board once. It was a home made one that me and a couple of friends decide to play around with one night when we were home alone (I was about 13).

Not a whole lot happened about from the dog started barking like crazy at a mask that we had on the wall. That freaked us out so we stopped. Nothing really happened after that.

But some spirits seem to be able to move things, make things fall off the book case….. make a ball roll across the room ect. But I am sure there are spirits all around us, and they don’t all do that. So maybe not all spirits are able? Maybe they need the human energy on it to be able to make it move?

Very good question though and in theory makes sense that a ghost should be able to make it move on its own.

There are no magnets. Its just the ideomotor effect.

If people didnt touch the ouija, it wouldnt work from the IE. So, thats why it needs a human touch. Because its a game.

Otherwise one must wonder: Hey, how come this poltergiest can throw my killer china off the cabinet, but when i use the ouija, i for some reason must place my hands on the device which needs to move?

Edited by Agent. Mulder

See the magnets thing comes from me flipping the board over in mid air and the planchet staying on. Maybe its in the planchet and the board has some kind of lining, and it takes just a little push from us too start going. Maybe heat from our hands. Truth is I don't know, I'm just trying to come up with reasonable explanations.

Flying angel has a good point tho that is how mediumship works.

See the magnets thing comes from me flipping the board over in mid air and the planchet staying on. Maybe its in the planchet and the board has some kind of lining, and it takes just a little push from us too start going. Maybe heat from our hands. Truth is I don't know, I'm just trying to come up with reasonable explanations.

Flying angel has a good point tho that is how mediumship works.

Ive yet to hear of ouijas being made with magnets. If someone has one, please check for us.

Also, Mediumship is the Absolute last thing to even consider in this case.

Ive yet to hear of ouijas being made with magnets. If someone has one, please check for us.

Also, Mediumship is the Absolute last thing to even consider in this case.

Okay, give me one other good reason why that thing would stay on there. Flipped over, shook around. I have never really looked into how Ouijas are made, but it's sold as a board game! It probably has some kind of trickery in there. Now please give it a shot. One other rational reason to why the planchet would stay on the board.

I was wondering about the same thing yesterday after watching this guy's videos.

He does ouija board reviews, "how to use the board" etc. The later videos shows him using it and talking to "Mac". (allegedly)

I would really like to know why, from a believer's point of view, you have to touch it.

Okay, give me one other good reason why that thing would stay on there. Flipped over, shook around. I have never really looked into how Ouijas are made, but it's sold as a board game! It probably has some kind of trickery in there. Now please give it a shot. One other rational reason to why the planchet would stay on the board.

Um, i just said that I, have never heard of magnets being in them. Especially because people claim of making their own make shift ones, which apparently worked (again, through ideomotor). Then i said to anyone that has a ouija, is to CHECK for them.

Im not sure how else im supposed to address your anecdote, which you may have just made up right now. Who knows.

Um, i just said that I, have never heard of magnets being in them. Especially because people claim of making their own make shift ones, which apparently worked (again, through ideomotor). Then i said to anyone that has a ouija, is to CHECK for them.

Im not sure how else im supposed to address your anecdote, which you may have just made up right now. Who knows.

Well I'm dead serious about the "anecdote". I was just talking about the store bought ones which I think are some kind of hoax, that is the type of board we were using. I couldn't find out anything about how it is made all I found out was...

"Parker Brothers bought the Ouija Board in 1966 when they coincidentally relocated their offices to Salem, Massachusetts. In it's first year with Parker Brothers the board outsold Monopoly with over two million sold."

I think the home made ones have a lot more chances of being real, you put your energy into these. It maybe "ideomotor". It may be some form of midiumship. I don't Know! All I can speak of is what I have experienced. The home made ones always worked better, the last time I used a Ouija board I had the scariest experience of my life, it was home made. But now I'm not sure what happened then. It may have been ideomotor, IF people can project it onto other people. Until I can fully understand what happened that time I'm not going to talk about it anymore, I did once before and I think people thought I was crazy. I have no concrete answer and no proof so until I have a concrete answer on what I experienced Ill just drop it.

Well, again, I can't speak for anyone else here, but I've witnessed an answer being made without my own help. That's why I have to wonder. :unsure:

TK !!!! :P

I actually think the the Ideomotor Effect. Which is basically your arm moving without you even knowing.

You're probably right about that. :yes:

Well, again, I can't speak for anyone else here, but I've witnessed an answer being made without my own help. That's why I have to wonder. :unsure:

So Enid, it moved all by itself? That's pretty crazy, you sure it wasn't a dream, or something by any chance? I think I have a natural ability to repulse anything paranormal as I've never experienced anything at all lol.

Edited by SpiderCyde

Gather a group of people who are all truthfully sworn, (meaning they all want to know the truth and will not cheat) not to move it and guess what, it won't move.

i've actually heard of planchets moving on their own before. though that never happened to me. i don't think they're evil really. and i think i only half believe in them as spiritual tools. but i'd say about 90% of the stories on the web about them are made up. i mean i used one when i was in middle school. all three years and almost into highschool and nothing bizzar like demons jumping out and all that. i only ever had one experience with a oui ja board that was of interest.

for months i had been trying to contact an actress named grason hall. with a girl who also liked her. but halloween night i was playing with another girl who didn't know even the name or that i was interested in it. the girl was pretty skiddish about the idea in general because she was a babtist. at the time i was attempting to be a practicing solitary wiccan. xp i was about 12.

so anyway that night the other girl was not with us. and for months before hand all i'd gotten was giberish. and then that night we got a name. and it was grayson. i thought it was interesteing that i got gibberush with the girl wo had mutual desire to contact this woman, and the name and some information (that turned out to be wrong) with a girl who'd never heard the name before. the information i gathered after that was mostly wrong, spare her having a son. so it's interesting but obviously not concreate proof as there are at least two explanations i can think of now.

TK !!!! :P

You're grounded, Sakari! :lol:

So Enid, it moved all by itself? That's pretty crazy, you sure it wasn't a dream, or something by any chance? I think I have a natural ability to repulse anything paranormal as I've never experienced anything at all lol.

I was wide awake, lol. It was just a matter of sitting down, putting the board on the floor, and putting the planchet on the board. I did touch it at first, but decided not to as I didn't see what it mattered, and I also didn't want to bump it. Frankly, I didn't WANT to touch it. :lol: