Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Articles On The Conversion of Energy Into Matter

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Whitestar

Whitestar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 03:04 AM

I recently read an article on the net about the conversion of energy into matter. An experiment at Stanford University was accomplished at S.L.A.C. (short for Stanford Linear Accelerator Center). Michael Pidwirny, the guy who wrote it claimed that it might one day be a useful means of teleportation like in Star Trek. Here is a direct quote from him:

"In 1998 researchers at Stanford University's Linear Accelerator Center successfully converted energy into matter. This feat was accomplished by using lasers and incredibly strong electromagnetic fields to change ordinary light into matter. The results of this experiment may allow for the development of variety of technological gadgets. One such development could be matter/energy transporters or food replicators that are commonly seen in some of our favorite science fiction programs."

Here is the website:

http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/6a.html

Here are some links to SLAC's statements released to various publications concerning the experiment:

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/exp/e144/nytimes.html

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/exp/e144/science1202.html

Teleportation has already been accomplished by teleporting a photon's properties, however, not the actual photon itself. For more information, check out the following website:

http://www.aip.org/physnews/graphics/html/teleport.htm

Personally, I don't think that there will ever be a conventional use for converting energy into matter because of the amount of energy contained in one human being. Think about it: if one human can produce thousands of hiroshimas bombs, then you would need thousands of atom bombs worth of energy to create a turkey sandwich. That just doesn't seem practical to me. If that amount of energy were to be released when turning a man into energy, well let's just say there wouldn't be much left of anything for a few thousand miles! In any conversion of matter, some energy is inevitably lost. In addition, such conversions of particles to energy are called annihilations, that is, they are like explosions: the explosive material is completely destroyed and no memory of its original form remains.

But let's play with this thought experiment for now. The atoms that compose our bodies are replaced every (7 years?), I've heard (I don't pretend to know the exact figure, but it seems reasonable). If this is the case, then after 7 years, you are physically completely different than you were at the beginning of the 7 year period. Then, in introspect, I realize to myself that I have a continuity of experiences, at least, my stream of consciousness is not noticeably interrupted.

Now imagine for the sake of arugment that teleportation were to be accomplish by converting a person into energy and you had the technology to reverse the process. In addition, you send the information along with the energy. The question is, would the person survive the procedure, or would the individual cease to exist and be replaced with a replica, who was literally born into existence once the energy was reconverted back into matter with the information? In my view, when your body is destroy, you die. End of story. What comes out of the teleporter is an exact copy, with all your memories etc, and no knowledge that it isn't you, but it isn't. No one would ever notice the problem, so it only affects you when it happens. Unless, if you believe in souls, there are "conservation of souls" problems to deal with - does the same soul follow the body around? While in an energy state, there is no consciousness, no heart to beat, hence the person who first underwent this form of teleportation has cease to exist and replaced with a replica.

What does everybody else thinks? (Note: I know this question sounds a bit philosophical but I'd be very interested in everyones' opinion anyway.)

Whitestar

#2    Frigga

Frigga

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (Whitestar @ Apr 26 2004, 04:04 AM)
I recently read an article on the net about the conversion of energy into matter. An experiment at Stanford University was accomplished at S.L.A.C. (short for Stanford Linear Accelerator Center). Michael Pidwirny, the guy who wrote it claimed that it might one day be a useful means of teleportation like in Star Trek. Here is a direct quote from him:

"In 1998 researchers at Stanford University's Linear Accelerator Center successfully converted energy into matter. This feat was accomplished by using lasers and incredibly strong electromagnetic fields to change ordinary light into matter. The results of this experiment may allow for the development of variety of technological gadgets. One such development could be matter/energy transporters or food replicators that are commonly seen in some of our favorite science fiction programs."

Here is the website:

http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/6a.html

Here are some links to SLAC's statements released to various publications concerning the experiment:

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/exp/e144/nytimes.html

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/exp/e144/science1202.html

Teleportation has already been accomplished by teleporting a photon's properties, however, not the actual photon itself. For more information, check out the following website:

http://www.aip.org/physnews/graphics/html/teleport.htm

Personally, I don't think that there will ever be a conventional use for converting energy into matter because of the amount of energy contained in one human being. Think about it: if one human can produce thousands of hiroshimas bombs, then you would need thousands of atom bombs worth of energy to create a turkey sandwich. That just doesn't seem practical to me. If that amount of energy were to be released when turning a man into energy, well let's just say there wouldn't be much left of anything for a few thousand miles! In any conversion of matter, some energy is inevitably lost. In addition, such conversions of particles to energy are called annihilations, that is, they are like explosions: the explosive material is completely destroyed and no memory of its original form remains.

But let's play with this thought experiment for now. The atoms that compose our bodies are replaced every (7 years?), I've heard (I don't pretend to know the exact figure, but it seems reasonable). If this is the case, then after 7 years, you are physically completely different than you were at the beginning of the 7 year period. Then, in introspect, I realize to myself that I have a continuity of experiences, at least, my stream of consciousness is not noticeably interrupted.

Now imagine for the sake of arugment that teleportation were to be accomplish by converting a person into energy and you had the technology to reverse the process. In addition, you send the information along with the energy. The question is, would the person survive the procedure, or would the individual cease to exist and be replaced with a replica, who was literally born into existence once the energy was reconverted back into matter with the information? In my view, when your body is destroy, you die. End of story. What comes out of the teleporter is an exact copy, with all your memories etc, and no knowledge that it isn't you, but it isn't. No one would ever notice the problem, so it only affects you when it happens. Unless, if you believe in souls, there are "conservation of souls" problems to deal with - does the same soul follow the body around? While in an energy state, there is no consciousness, no heart to beat, hence the person who first underwent this form of teleportation has cease to exist and replaced with a replica.

What does everybody else thinks? (Note: I know this question sounds a bit philosophical but I'd be very interested in everyones' opinion anyway.)

Whitestar

It has already been proven that a small beam of light can be moved from one position to a completely different position without taking along it's original source. This was done approximately a year ago at Lawerence Livermore Lab in conjunction with Berkley....food nor anything else has been 'teleported' sucessfully in their study.

#3    zet

zet

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 10:26 AM

I think you're being too philosophical.
I think what things make unique is their formations.
At some level everything is built from same building blocks.
Just because something became deformed then reformed, denying its uniqueness
isn't right or that's how I feel.  
Besides, think of other uses that can bring more profit than teleportation.
Like if they can turn all those garbages into energy then into gold or some other things
valuable.  It would be truly the ultimate recycle.

P.S.  Mentioning of memory, does anyone know if they found anything about
human brain memory structure?  They gotta make schools obsolete.  School is
the evil in the society.  It's the only place where you pay and still have to suck up.

#4    doomgirl

doomgirl

Government Agent

• 3,323 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 03:11 PM

anything is possible, its just a matter of time before it becomes real and used in everyday situations and once they have it working, I don't think size will matter

Spaceflight News - UM's Sister Site - Join Us

It ain't fittin'... it ain't fittin'. It jes' ain't fittin'... It ain't fittin'
Do I look like a freakin' people person?
All Things Wrestling Forum
Arts, Crafts N Gardens Forum

Computer Support Forum
Amby's Forum
Panda.org - WWF
Posted Image

#5    Frigga

Frigga

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (zet @ May 1 2004, 11:26 AM)
I think you're being too philosophical.
I think what things make unique is their formations.
At some level everything is built from same building blocks.
Just because something became deformed then reformed, denying its uniqueness
isn't right or that's how I feel.  
Besides, think of other uses that can bring more profit than teleportation.
Like if they can turn all those garbages into energy then into gold or some other things
valuable.  It would be truly the ultimate recycle.

P.S.  Mentioning of memory, does anyone know if they found anything about
human brain memory structure?  They gotta make schools obsolete.  School is
the evil in the society.  It's the only place where you pay and still have to suck up.

All garbage is highly recyclable, it's the cost that is prohibitive.

The problem with teleportation is at this point you cannot replicate a live object. There is no way to replace thought propagation nor memory.

#6    Transhumanism

Transhumanism

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE (Whitestar @ Apr 26 2004, 04:04 AM)

Whitestar

I agree with you: the re-created person would just be a clone of you; the original was distroyed.

Don't be a weenie, become a Transhumanist: http://www.transhumanism.org/   The SCIENTIFIC movement to become biologically powerful

#7    The Gryphon

The Gryphon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

• There are no such things as accidents, only plans that others have made and failed to tell you about!!

Posted 09 May 2004 - 05:56 PM

I always thought the transporter one of the biggest flaws in Rodenberry's story. On the other had hand at CERN they have created small bits of anti-matter by using a similar process.  Anti-matter is a reality and learning how to produce it cheaply, contain it and use it is the next big step.
Now if we think on the philosophic side if you can create matter from energy: when it comes to the big bang we no longer have to think of a matter borne singularity?  Energy would create the matter, so now we're looking at only energy needing to exist prior to the big bang, not both thereby doing away with the need to wonder who or what created the matter. If energy was the base requirement to creation then..... Maybe somebody should call the vatican or delete this thread

Edited by The Gryphon, 09 May 2004 - 05:58 PM.

"when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever
remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
-- Sherlock Holmes in The Sign of the Four

#8    Marien

Marien

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:42 PM

i'd like to say something, but you all said everything, very cleverly...  grin2.gif

...it's a materialism (therefore philosophic...) problem : does matter makes it all ? with the exact same types of atoms at the exact same position, even if it's a replic, will we still have the same memories and personality ?

maybe the question is : does "soul" exist ?

#9    inferno_gr

inferno_gr

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:10 PM

according to chaos theory it is impossible to know the exact speed and place of a particle, the more accurate the speed the less accurate the place and the opposite.
So , can we re-create an "exact" copy of the human being ?  

#10    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:23 AM

While in an energy state, there is no consciousness, no heart to beat, hence the person who first underwent this form of teleportation has cease to exist and replaced with a replica.

This is odd because I thought that if teleportation was ever developed it would be a time space manipulation that took place that allowed a path for the body to pass through whole.

But yes with the advancements concerning this Topic , it would be a dilema seperating our consciousness and reassembling it.

There is something that may help fix the problem though, you would have to have a type of programable matter, inject it into a person that would act like a molecular adhesive and turn a molecular structure plyable enough to be transported as light then reformed.    

Quantum Dots maybe.

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Julius Robert Oppenheimer. (1904-1967)
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users