Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Horsemeat found in beef

freetoroam

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-21034942

Horse DNA has been found in some beef burgers being sold in UK and Irish supermarkets, the Republic of Ireland's food safety authority has said.

The burgers were on sale in Tesco, Dunnes Stores, Lidl, Aldi and Iceland

A total of 27 products were analysed, with 10 of them containing horse DNA and 23 containing pig DNA.

Horsemeat accounted for approximately 29% of the meat content in one sample from Tesco.

Retailers have said they are now removing all implicated batches of the burgers.

"Likewise, for some religious groups or people who abstain from eating pig meat, the presence of traces of pig DNA is unacceptable."

------------------------------------------------------

Would like to know if the horses are being bred for this purpose?

If the retailers have removed the batches, then it can not be hard to investigate the meat plants they have come from.

As for the religious bit: is this really what people care about!!! If they are not vegetarians and only care because of religious reasons and not for the animals wellfare, then I have absolutely no sympathy at all.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Yummy! And they don't even charge extra!

France have horse meat, at least if they want to sell it here then do it properly and not behind our backs......as usual.

Food source Calories Protein Fat Iron Sodium Cholesterol Game meat, horse, raw 133 21 g 5 g 3.8 mg 53 mg 52 mg Beef, sirloin, raw 140 21 g 7 g 1.7 mg 53 mg

42 mg

it seems horsemeat is actually better for you, its the taboo about eating it here which is why it is not a regular on our shelves, i have no "beef" about people eating horse meat, but I do disagree with misinforming people.

Would also like to know how they are breeding these horses, if the breeders are devious enough to try and con us, I doubt the horses are living the life of Riley while alive.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Ewwwwwwww. I think...

Congratulations! is this a first?

:D

I could not willingly eat horse meat any more than I could eat dog meat. Even though this is normal in some countries, it's not for me. I do eat meat but then again I won't eat deer/venison either and that's through personal choice.

If food contains horse meat they need to declare it so people know.

• Like 1

I could not willingly eat horse meat any more than I could eat dog meat. Even though this is normal in some countries, it's not for me. I do eat meat but then again I won't eat deer/venison either and that's through personal choice.

If food contains horse meat they need to declare it so people know.

absolutely, they should declare it.

personally I do not eat horse meat, but I know people do, my concern is not the fact that people do it eat, its the fact that we are being lied to and those lying to us I doubt are taking care of the animals while alive.

• Like 1

Aww, I was kind of hoping this was a story about a cow taking down a horse and eating it. :P

Anyway never tried horse, not sure I have much desire to eat horse, but either way it should be noted what kind of meat is being using in a product. If I'm buying a beef burger then it better be all cow.

Aww, I was kind of hoping this was a story about a cow taking down a horse and eating it. :P

Anyway never tried horse, not sure I have much desire to eat horse, but either way it should be noted what kind of meat is being using in a product. If I'm buying a beef burger then it better be all cow.

"there is a plausible explanation for the presence of pig DNA in these products due to the fact that meat from different animals is processed in the same meat plants"

----------------

seems not just cow.

pig3thum.gif

Edited by freetoroam

It's new stories like this one that makes me want to give my local butchers a hug.

Thank you, Mr. Butcher.

;)

So what !!

If your going to eat meat don't get all sentimental about what type it is.

Br Cornelius

Its not the meat in question, it may have bugs or diseases that humans might catch. You wouldn't eat cow penis now would you?

Its not the meat in question, it may have bugs or diseases that humans might catch. You wouldn't eat cow penis now would you?

Eating horse is common throughout the world - I really see nothing to be concerned about.

Personally I wouldn't touch any form of meat (apart from an occassional fish) but undoubtedly if you eat sausages or burgers, you have indeed eaten cows penis.

Br Cornelius

It's a good thing burgers are off my diet...

I've come to an executive decision about home brands in general.

I'm not getting them anymore despite how flashy and persuasive the packaging is.

If it means relying on the off-license more often then so be it.

I'm actually snookered here because my nearest supermarket is actually Tesco.

I'm expecting the home brand razor blades to be coated with ricin and the milk spiked with paint thinner.

But I've always wanted to know what happens to the thoroughbreds who don't make it to stud duties.

There's your answer for what it's worth.

Horses should be running about in fields instead of being prepared for human consumption.

Edited by Medium Brown

The problem in Ireland was that in the time of the Celtic Tiger the stock of horses for rich people to own and ride was small so many farmers divested of productive stock and piled into the lucrative horse trade. At one point the humble donkey was fetching €1000 as a companion to the riding horse.

It got to the stage around our way that you saw almost as many horses in the fields as cows. The inevitable market economics kicked in and the market for luxury horses became oversupplied and crashed. All those unbroken horses roaming around the fields were now worth absolutely nothing as there were no buyers. A well breed horse which has been handled since birth (such that it can be rode at point of sale) still fetches reasonable money. All the rest are been sent away to France for butchery. Beef is currently at a premium and rising, and horse meat is cheap. I will place money on the fact that in this situation there is a healthy trade in illegal horse butchery with many ending up in the premium beef market. Heads will role.

I put it down to the stupidity of farmers who couldn't see this coming. Then again its exactly the same mentality which ended in the largest property bust in history - so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Br Cornelius

Certainly agree that this is a crime of deliberate deception for purposes of $$$. Yet sometimes I think British are too sentimental about animals. Oh well, now to finish my fried kitten and dolphin stew :P

it would be wrong to blame the Food Sellers. They have contracts with suppliers that state the permitted ingredients.

As to the actual ingredients, I see nothing wrong with horsemeat (if you like Salami, or other cured meats, then you almost certainly will have had some in your life without realising it), or Pork and don't really give a Fig's about outraged Religious Groups.

Another thought springs to mind - aren't Religious Pork Abstainers supposed only to eat Halaal, or Kosher meats that have been ritually murdered?? What are they doing buying Iceland or Tesco Beefburgers?

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 1

I thought the term - I am so hungry, I could eat a horse...was just a catch phrase ??!!

Never eated a bull penis, but i eat criadillas, its testicles. It was tasty. Heck, i have eaten tongue, brain, eyes. Tehre is a lot of parts in the cows/pigs/horses/meat in general that the general populace do not eat based on ignorance.

it would be wrong to blame the Food Sellers. They have contracts with suppliers that state the permitted ingredients.

As to the actual ingredients, I see nothing wrong with horsemeat (if you like Salami, or other cured meats, then you almost certainly will have had some in your life without realising it), or Pork and don't really give a Fig's about outraged Religious Groups.

Another thought springs to mind - aren't Religious Pork Abstainers supposed only to eat Halaal, or Kosher meats that have been ritually murdered?? What are they doing buying Iceland or Tesco Beefburgers?

this is what riles me, there are some complaining about horse meat and some complaining that about pigs meat in their beef, but halal and kosher are ok?!!! NOT IN MY EYES!

tescos sell halal meat, when i saw that, I boycotted them. people moaning about their religion and yet do not give a to** about the animals and if they are slaughtered!

"Shrugs" I ate horse in france, it was kinda yummy.

But would you have it in a burger?

Despite it contadicting the trades and descriptions act.

Edited by Medium Brown

But would you have it in a burger?

Despite it contadicting the trades and descriptions act.

I agree that the product should contain the meat its stated as containing, but yeah id eat it no worries, as long as said meat was prepared to proper standards. To be honest id eat pretty much anything apart from dog.