Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

secret websites?

Hey I'm curious if anyone knows anything or wants to discuss the possibility of secret websites on the internet that are blocked off to the general public. Only like extreme hackers who come across some clue from research and code breaking have access. The websites are anti-gov offcourse. Any thoughts?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakari

• Mr.United_Nations

• Blood_Sacrifice

Wouldn't really be a good idea to put anything secret on a website as someone somewhere is bound to find it.

Wouldn't really be a good idea to put anything secret on a website as someone somewhere is bound to find it.

This ^^^

Check out the wiki on Darknet, the Deep web, and the Dark Internet.

There are lots of ``secret'' websites out there, mostly they are secret because search engines can't find them, and because they do not have common names. Some websites might be genuinely secret because they require you to have an account and a password to enter, or because they only accept connections from certain machines.

As I understand it (I'm not an expert, so someone correct me if I'm wrong), everything on the Internet has an IP address. When you connect to the Internet, your computer is talking to the routing server of your network provider. If you want to go to www.google.com, for example, your computer sends the message to the routing server, and the routing server looks up the name "www.google.com" in its IP list to find out where to send your message to next.

However, most things on the internet do not have a web address. You can still connect to them, IF they are running a webserver, and IF they accept your connection, and IF you know the IP address.

For example, if you type in 64.233.183.147 into Internet Explorer or Firefox or whatever, you will end up at www.google.com. If you have a webserver on your home computer, and you know your IP address (it probably changes periodically, since most personal computers use dynamic IP assignment), you can make a webpage that other people can see - if you tell them the IP address (i.e. you don't need a www.something.com name to be accessible). Since it is very unlikely that someone will randomly type in the correct IP address, or that a web indexing engine will randomly end up at that IP address, your website will be almost completely invisible to the world.

As another example, I have access to several ``secret'' websites that you do not. These are webservers that my research group uses for sharing our data with each other and performing scientific calculations. I can access these sites anywhere in the world because I know the name of the website (it does not show up in Google because it is not registered with Google, and it does not link to nor is linked from anything Google indexes), and I have a valid user name and password.

In terms of actual secret websites (i.e. containing secret or illegal information or activities) it is a little bit trickier. While the website might be invisible, the traffic is not - since it has to go through the routing computers that make up the backbone of the internet. To keep the information safe it would have to be heavily encrypted. Even this isn't perfect, though, because if the big-bad-government is carefully inspecting all the data that go through the routing computers (unlikely in the case of the US because of the enormous volume of information, but if you were trying to send secret revolutionary info to a rebel group in North Korea, perhaps) they would probably get suspicious if a large amount of encrypted data came through their network. They could then trace the data back to the source, and figure out the location of the computer that sent it.

Since websites are inherently static - it is tough to move them around to avoid detection/capture, I think most of the illegal/secret/diplomatic/espionage information nowadays is encrypted and sent through the TOR network, which I don't think counts as website.

That is how something like Wikileaks can survive; everyone (well everyone who could do something about it; i.e. governments and hackers) knows where the Wikileaks web server is, but anonymous communications networks can make sure that people can't figure out who or where the submitted documents are coming from (or where they send the documents for backup purposes).

Hey I'm curious if anyone knows anything or wants to discuss the possibility of secret websites on the internet that are blocked off to the general public. Only like extreme hackers who come across some clue from research and code breaking have access. The websites are anti-gov offcourse. Any thoughts?

Stay away from these or you'll get a knock on the door.

If you like secrets and stuff go join the Freemasons or something.

Just type in your search box.

ppp://clearview-edit.hash

Go on i dare you ;)

Just type in your search box.

ppp://clearview-edit.hash

Go on i dare you ;)

That's all I got:

"Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (ppp) isn't associated with any program."

Check out the wiki on Darknet, the Deep web, and the Dark Internet.

There are lots of ``secret'' websites out there, mostly they are secret because search engines can't find them, and because they do not have common names. Some websites might be genuinely secret because they require you to have an account and a password to enter, or because they only accept connections from certain machines.

As I understand it (I'm not an expert, so someone correct me if I'm wrong), everything on the Internet has an IP address. When you connect to the Internet, your computer is talking to the routing server of your network provider. If you want to go to www.google.com, for example, your computer sends the message to the routing server, and the routing server looks up the name "www.google.com" in its IP list to find out where to send your message to next.

However, most things on the internet do not have a web address. You can still connect to them, IF they are running a webserver, and IF they accept your connection, and IF you know the IP address.

For example, if you type in 64.233.183.147 into Internet Explorer or Firefox or whatever, you will end up at www.google.com. If you have a webserver on your home computer, and you know your IP address (it probably changes periodically, since most personal computers use dynamic IP assignment), you can make a webpage that other people can see - if you tell them the IP address (i.e. you don't need a www.something.com name to be accessible). Since it is very unlikely that someone will randomly type in the correct IP address, or that a web indexing engine will randomly end up at that IP address, your website will be almost completely invisible to the world.

As another example, I have access to several ``secret'' websites that you do not. These are webservers that my research group uses for sharing our data with each other and performing scientific calculations. I can access these sites anywhere in the world because I know the name of the website (it does not show up in Google because it is not registered with Google, and it does not link to nor is linked from anything Google indexes), and I have a valid user name and password.

In terms of actual secret websites (i.e. containing secret or illegal information or activities) it is a little bit trickier. While the website might be invisible, the traffic is not - since it has to go through the routing computers that make up the backbone of the internet. To keep the information safe it would have to be heavily encrypted. Even this isn't perfect, though, because if the big-bad-government is carefully inspecting all the data that go through the routing computers (unlikely in the case of the US because of the enormous volume of information, but if you were trying to send secret revolutionary info to a rebel group in North Korea, perhaps) they would probably get suspicious if a large amount of encrypted data came through their network. They could then trace the data back to the source, and figure out the location of the computer that sent it.

Since websites are inherently static - it is tough to move them around to avoid detection/capture, I think most of the illegal/secret/diplomatic/espionage information nowadays is encrypted and sent through the TOR network, which I don't think counts as website.

That is how something like Wikileaks can survive; everyone (well everyone who could do something about it; i.e. governments and hackers) knows where the Wikileaks web server is, but anonymous communications networks can make sure that people can't figure out who or where the submitted documents are coming from (or where they send the documents for backup purposes).

Very well said.. for the most part... IP to a Domain referencing is actually done using DNS (Domain Name Servers). They take your request for www.google.com and reference it to an IP address. You are correct, everything on the net has an IP address. To test this, go into your network settings, and take out the DNS servers you have on your network card. Leave the IP information above in. Now bring up the internet and try to access your home page. Doesnt work. BUT.. if you know the IP address to it, you can access it. So if you did what I said above.. type in 74.125.47.105. Google should now come up, again showing without DNS, you can not resolve a name to a number, but can resolve using just the number. To remember all these numbers would be just nuts... DNS fixes that for us... oh... and OMG when IPv6 comes to America... craziness...

As far as secret sites.. yes... there are many, and they are controlled using Encryption techniques that differ from network to network. Now as far as further security... you can create your own secret area. Taking two routers and linking them together (without the use of an ISP) is creating your own network. No one can access it unless they are connected to these certain routers. ISP's provide the link for a numerous group of routers, allowing all to pass traffic amongst another. BUT.. if you have a certain group of routers connected to only themselves, then only those connected to them can access it. Kinda hard to explain, but bacially, your house is a network on its own. All your computers (beings you have assigned IP's to them, or have a DHCP server within your network) can access one another without any interference from anyone else. The minute you put your Verizon router, or whomever your ISP is, is the minute anyone else can access it.. regardless of password authentication or encryption. Traffic can pass through it.

Sounds all good. Kudos to sepulchrave for the clarification. Like to thank you guys for calling me on all my fallacies. I can always use good criticism. The encryption of IP address was something that crossed my mind when I first posted the topic. I agree that eventually it will be found now because of the super computers today. And speaking about privacy, just to note, I recently read an article that the internet passwords have gotten easier to crack now and its recommended that you use a 12 letter complex password to unsure full protection. Guess everything now days has a crack.

Look for "4chan". You didn't hear it from me.

• 4 months later...

secret website

secret website

I just got a "page cannot be displayed" thing.

I've always loved that kinda thing where you find some secret-ish little website to do with something cool or scary. I found one ages ago called http://anniesroad.com but it says you need to be invited via email. I've put my email in loads of times but never been invited :unsure:

Here is a novel about secret web sites that I enjoyed and is an easy read if you ever see it at a good price.

http://www.amazon.com/Manuscript-MacMillan-New-Writing/dp/0330452576/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293752642&sr=1-3

The only truly secret networks aren't even connected to other networks. Military and SS use them all the time.

Otherwise there can be "pseudo-secret" nets with sites by using a roaming collection of different servers whose IPs get changed. Requires mutliple servers and multiple locations/providers. There's the collectives as well (like the ptp file share servers were/still are?) which use hundreds and potentially even thousands of different clients to distribute the actual content of the site itself, using those clients for both redundancy and for security to get around a single point of failure. Still requires a "server", but the server ends up being a farm of pre-established or agreed upon computers (which can then change automatically, though these sort of changes require a broadcast "head's up" to all connected clients). Getting on to those is usually by invitation or by visiting a bulletin board or post somewhere that gives the latest gateways/addresses.

Password and being in the know is about as secret as you can get without being completely disconnected from the mainstream.

I just got a "page cannot be displayed" thing.

I've always loved that kinda thing where you find some secret-ish little website to do with something cool or scary. I found one ages ago called http://anniesroad.com but it says you need to be invited via email. I've put my email in loads of times but never been invited :unsure:

Ok , annies road is cool , I was bored...Googled it....Here ya go :

• Annie's Road is supposedly haunted by the ghost of a woman who was killed on the road many many years ago. Allegedly she appears as a hitchhiker and if you pick her up she will cause you to lose control of your vehicle

• The road really is dangerous because of several sharp turns on the road.

• Just off Annie's Rd is a small road where the houses are very small. The area is known as midgetville and it is frequented by teens looking for midgets. In reality the houses have very low roofs and there are no midgets.

• In 1994 a local teen was murdered by his friends who were obsessed with Annie's ghost.

My link

Ok , annies road is cool , I was bored...Googled it....Here ya go :

Sakari that Annie's road murder was messed up. The whole town seems a little wacko, like something out of a horror film. If a movie hasn't been made about it yet it should be. Is it real?

Sakari that Annie's road murder was messed up. The whole town seems a little wacko, like something out of a horror film. If a movie hasn't been made about it yet it should be. Is it real?

This is the best information I could find ,breaks up the urban legends , and has the facts....Pretty cool.

As for the town being wacko , after you read that , you will see why.....Sick of kids coming in chasing legends . :tu:

http://www.lostinjer...ooky/annie.html

Edited by Sakari

Anyone who wants a secret website read here http://www.outfront.net/tutorials_02/adv_tech/robots.htm It's techniques that have been known for a very long time of allowing or preventing search engines from indexing all or part of your site. Sorry nothing out of the ordinary about it at all.

Look for "4chan". You didn't hear it from me.

Omigod, them 4chan and their secret web sites where they discuss the latest trolling tactics among each other, and MISTing incidents (the initials stand for Massive Internet Stalk-and-Troll) against certain groups or individuals they have a beef with on the net. They go by names like ''Anonymous'' whom make inter-national headlines by cyber-attacks and hacking sites, most notably the Church of Scientology, and their infamous motto "We do not forgive, we do not forget".

This is the best information I could find ,breaks up the urban legends , and has the facts....Pretty cool.

As for the town being wacko , after you read that , you will see why.....Sick of kids coming in chasing legends . :tu:

http://www.lostinjer...ooky/annie.html

Yeah I know what you mean... (I'm actually ONE of those kids but lol don't mind me :unsure2: )

I know the basics and all that about the legend and the town around it and stuff, including which bits are true, I was just curious about this website and wondered if anyone knew how to get in (with or without an invitation).