Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spirituality and Religion

_hAiLO_

Lets just see what people think of themselves:  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Lets just see what people think of themselves:

• I'm Spiritual
    • I'm Religious
    • I'm a Spiritual Christian/Muslim/Judist/Pagen, etc.
    • I'm Agnostic
    • I'm Atheist

*****This Thread is, and will not host a debate with such contents regarding any form of credibility!!! We are discussing the difference between Spirituality and Religion*****

spir·i·tu·al

adj.

1. Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not tangible or material. See Synonyms at immaterial.

2. Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul.

3. Of, from, or relating to God; deific.

4. Of or belonging to a church or religion; sacred.

5. Relating to or having the nature of spirits or a spirit; supernatural.

re·li·gious

adj.

1. Having or showing belief in and reverence for God or a deity.

2. Of, concerned with, or teaching religion: a religious text.

3. Extremely scrupulous or conscientious: religious devotion to duty.

So, i've been thinking about this after I saw the movie 'Flight of the Phoenix' where that one guy said he was spiritual, not religious and how religion wrecks the world. So, I got to say that religion is one of the things that wrecked the world. But what about being spiritual?

Being both religious and spiritual is to believe in a/the God(s), to believe in one or many Dieties, or to believe in a spirit. Okay, maybe being spiritual doesn't mean you have to believe in an omnipotent entity, but its somewhere in believing in an afterlife, somewhat related to an omnipotent entity. So thats what basically what they are, they are both believers of the spirit. And being spiritual, you can either believe in a/the God(s) if you think he/they made the spirit.

But what is the complete difference between them both? How does being spiritual and being religous really differ?

Well, I thought about it and I think that being religous is to feel a part with the church, feel a part with other deists, to feel a part with other worshippers...its basically to follow religous practices with other people and the host of these religious practices is the church and its religion. But sometimes religion can be big enough to associate with the government and potentially invade another country, set standards, set laws, all of that. The Christian Crusades, the Muslim Empire, even the United States'es own Manifest Dynasty where they thought that its their destiny from God to take all land from east to west coast! So in truth, religion teaches and preaches and all, but sometimes it can be an organization for retaliation.

Now, Spirituality is a more independent form of belief, to believe in the soul, [or]God(s), and afterlife. Being spiritual is basically not to take the s*** that comes from the mouth of an insulter of a spiritual mans beliefs(and later FORGIVE them, huh!), but to just basically believe. They don't nesassarily follow religious practices, they don't take part on things like that...but they believe.

Well is it possible to be a little of both? To be a religous man, worship and follow the religous practices, but not to be completely religous and be a little of spiritual as well? To believe and pray every day, but to also feel, err...independent? You know, being spiritual and take the feeling of not being part of a religous sect, but still remaining a deist...

Thats all I want to leave you...so, what do you think?

Dang...I hope this thread doesn't fail...cuz I think I brought up a lame topic laugh.gif .

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• _hAiLO_

• Super Pancake

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted "I'm a Spiritual Christian/Muslim/Judist/Pagen, etc." cuz i'm like that.....

grin2.gif

Spiritual in a philosophical (buddhist philosophy) sense in search of enlightenment where the body, soul, nature, and multiverse is one.