Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Guest" vs "Anonymous User"

pallidin

What is the difference here in UM?

Thanks...

A Guest, i believe, isn't signed in, and so therefore can't post. You can tick a box to choose to be Anonymous if you're signed in, it means you can post and everything but it won't show up at the bottom of the page where it says "So many users are reading this topic".

• Like 1

What is the difference here in UM?

Thanks...

Like he said! Mouse over my username.. Im online...but 'private' or anonymous

• Like 1

OK, I understand now. Thanks!

Edited by pallidin

A Guest, i believe, isn't signed in, and so therefore can't post.

This is correct. A guest is either a non-member or a member that isn't signed in.

You can tick a box to choose to be Anonymous if you're signed in, it means you can post and everything but it won't show up at the bottom of the page where it says "So many users are reading this topic"

Also correct. The ability to sign in anonymously is an option all members have.

• Like 1

A guest is an invited person, an anonymous person hasn't the guts to say who they are..(as far as I'm concerned) Be Honest people. Name Rank and Number only if you're captured.

A guest is an invited person, an anonymous person hasn't the guts to say who they are..(as far as I'm concerned) Be Honest people. Name Rank and Number only if you're captured.

I always sign in as anonymous because I feel more comfortable that way. I do a lot of reading of certain threads while only occasionally making posts. Sometimes I am signed in for days on end and don't want my user name at the bottom of the screen for hours at a time like when I go to bed or out to run errands.

We are all entitled to sign in as we wish and anonymous lets you do everything that a regular signed in person does while a guest can't post and doesn't get place holders in threads. And really, if you think about it, even 'spud the makem' is anonymous.....we don't know your real name.....

• Like 1

Third_Eye your avatar is extremely unnerving, or so I find. If that was your intention you nailed it, well done. But as a cat lover please find a puppy to use. Thanks.

• Like 1

Does it make any difference at all really I wonder? I wonder who ever takes the name to look right down at the bottom of the page to see who might be browsing a particular thread anyway,

an anonymous person hasn't the guts to say who they are..(as far as I'm concerned)

Since posts can't be made anonymously this is obviously a nonsensical attack on those who use this facility.

• Like 2

Third_Eye your avatar is extremely unnerving, or so I find. If that was your intention you nailed it, well done. But as a cat lover please find a puppy to use. Thanks.

How about an owl ?

:)

~

• Like 1

I have an owl cat that accompanies me in various dreams...

He's got the head and wings of a barn owl and the body of a white cat.

I like to use the anonymous feature for a couple of reasons. Mostly, I don't like for it to show what thread or forum I am reading. Some sections of the forum are a guilty pleasure, I like reading them, just don't like people knowing I do.