Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

50% of U.S rivers unsuitable for aquatic life

aquatic life rivers streams phosphorus nitrogen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,964 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

Fifty-five percent of U.S. river and stream lengths were in poor condition for aquatic life, largely under threat from runoff contaminated by fertilizers, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said on Tuesday.

High levels of phosphorus and nitrogen, runoff from urban areas, shrinking ground cover and pollution from mercury and bacteria were putting the 1.2 million miles of streams and rivers surveyed under stress, the EPA said.

http://usnews.nbcnew...uatic-life?lite

Posted Image

#2    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,634 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

No surprise to me.

Now if we just had a legitimate leader in the White House, things might change.  Alas. :no:

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,647 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Glad I live in environmentally consience Washington.  Even here we have problems but we tend to be aware of it and quick to act.

#4    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

*cough cough* Hanford Oversword.

#5    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

We had a similar thing about 20yrs ago in the UK, industry was allowed to dump into and pollute our rivers, we banned it and slowly our rivers have regained.

#6    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

View Postciriuslea, on 27 March 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

We had a similar thing about 20yrs ago in the UK, industry was allowed to dump into and pollute our rivers, we banned it and slowly our rivers have regained.

Anyone who is into Bush craft, survival or a ranger in the UK will tell you to try to avoid fish or plants from rivers (or near rivers for plants) in the UK. It's a last resort, because of Pollution. Also better to do it in the winter because the rivers run faster which means less pollution. (even Ray Mears has stated this)

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,510 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

I grew up in a farming community.  Us kids use to swim in the rivers around this farmland.  When I got older I got to thinking about the runoff from farms and thought that was the stupidest thing I had ever done.

Where I live now we have a nice clean creek that I swim in.  Its the cleanest creek in the state and I want to keep it that way so if i catch anyone driving their 4 wheelers in it I call the dept of conservation and they get a ticket.

#8    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,647 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 27 March 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

*cough cough* Hanford Oversword.
DOH! We will act.  If that were in NY you wouldn't even know about it yet.  Plus I think that may be a federal site so out of state control.Also, that's on the otherside of the mountains, the people on the east and west side of the mountains are like brothers that don't speak at family gatherings.  Have I made enough excuses yet?  I could probably think up more.

#9    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

View PostCoffey, on 27 March 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

Anyone who is into Bush craft, survival or a ranger in the UK will tell you to try to avoid fish or plants from rivers (or near rivers for plants) in the UK. It's a last resort, because of Pollution. Also better to do it in the winter because the rivers run faster which means less pollution. (even Ray Mears has stated this)

I'm really going off the study into otters and how the pollution nearly wiped them out, but are slowly starting to repopulate them. I personally wouldn't dream of eating something from a UK river lol I'm not that brave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users