Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guns Targetted at New Generation

questionmark

Threatened by long-term declining participation in shooting sports, the firearms industry has poured millions of dollars into a broad campaign to ensure its future by getting guns into the hands of more, and younger, children.

The industry’s strategies include giving firearms, ammunition and cash to youth groups; weakening state restrictions on hunting by young children; marketing an affordable military-style rifle for “junior shooters” and sponsoring semiautomatic-handgun competitions for youths; and developing a target-shooting video game that promotes brand-name weapons, with links to the Web sites of their makers.

The pages of Junior Shooters, an industry-supported magazine that seeks to get children involved in the recreational use of firearms, once featured a smiling 15-year-old girl clutching a semiautomatic rifle. At the end of an accompanying article that extolled target shooting with a Bushmaster AR-15 — an advertisement elsewhere in the magazine directed readers to a coupon for buying one — the author encouraged youngsters to share the article with a parent.

Read more

"The industry’s strategies include giving firearms, ammunition and cash to youth groups"...........and the youth groups are accepting this with open arms?

Do the parents know what is happening and do they have a say about it? Chances are many will welcome it, but it should be down to the parent to teach their child about guns, it should be down the parent if they feel they want their child to be a part of this, but Looks like no matter what the parents feel, this multi million dollar company are going to do whatever it takes to make sure they stay a multi million/ billion dollar company.

And this is a problem because?

I think its a problem because it doesn't fit your world view that millions of people are being responcible with the very weapons you consider evil.

Looks like there trying to teach kids responsible gun ownership. Wasnt that the the original complaint ?

• Like 1

"The industry’s strategies include giving firearms, ammunition and cash to youth groups"...........and the youth groups are accepting this with open arms?

Do the parents know what is happening and do they have a say about it? Chances are many will welcome it, but it should be down to the parent to teach their child about guns, it should be down the parent if they feel they want their child to be a part of this, but Looks like no matter what the parents feel, this multi million dollar company are going to do whatever it takes to make sure they stay a multi million/ billion dollar company.

There isn't anything irresponsible about this. In fact it'll just teach kids how to be responsible with weapons instead. And I would guaran-goddamn-tee that parents would be directly involved with this, especially concerning consent.

• Like 1

I don't see anything "wrong" with this. They are promoting guns as something fun and cool. It's their right as an industry to do. Having said that, I think it's equally ok to promote a lack of guns as cool.

• Like 1

OP what is your point here? If you are trying to say that teaching kids about guns is bad thing, you truly would be a gigantic idiot.

• Like 1

They are fun. I don't go to the shooting range out of a sense of duty. I go for fun. In the right settings under the proper supervision there is nothing wrong with this. It'll teach proper handling and respect for the arm.

• Like 2

There isn't anything irresponsible about this. In fact it'll just teach kids how to be responsible with weapons instead. And I would guaran-goddamn-tee that parents would be directly involved with this, especially concerning consent.

In my post i was initially going to put the word teach to indicate the multi million dollar companies aim, but it does not indicate that it will be teaching the children, what it will be doing is promoting their products and the teaching side will still be down to the parents and 'youth groups'.

I wanted to know what the parents thought, but you have answered that with your guaran-goddam-tee, lol.

Correct me if I am wrong (I know you will) but isn`t what the multi million dollar company doing, the opposite of what Obama wants, or is it exactly what he wants to see happen?

OP what is your point here? If you are trying to say that teaching kids about guns is bad thing, you truly would be a gigantic idiot.

But it does not indicate they will be teaching the kids, that will still be down to the parents and youth clubs, What they are doing is promoting their products.

It may be a good thing, or they might just be taking advantage of the recent bad events to improve their profits.

Edited by freetoroam

Im going to go out on a limb here and if its being promoted by the NRA at this juncture in time it is NOT what Obama and especially Lord Cuomo and his Arch Duke Bloomberg want. Which is makes it more then likely this is being chosen as an agitative stance by the NRA then anything to do with kids/gunsd/responsibility etc.

Why...Because of the Draconian Gun Laws passed there very recently. Its called tit for tat. Welcome to the political section.

• Like 1

In my post i was initially going to put the word teach to indicate the multi million dollar companies aim, but it does not indicate that it will be teaching the children, what it will be doing is promoting their products and the teaching side will still be down to the parents and 'youth groups'.

I wanted to know what the parents thought, but you have answered that with your guaran-goddam-tee, lol.

Correct me if I am wrong (I know you will) but isn`t what the multi million dollar company doing, the opposite of what Obama wants, or is it exactly what he wants to see happen?

Companies promoting their products through sporting competitions. Hmm, how unheard of.

I'm not a parent but I know the answer. Different parents will have different opinions as varied as they are here.

It sure sounds like the opposite of what they want. But like asteroid just said, that's the game. Besides that though, it isn't Obamas business what that company does within the law which is what drives Obama though and that is creating law based on what he thinks not necessarily wether it's effective or reasonable. So long as it feels good is the liberal way. Act on emotion, not reason.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 1

Itleast while playing the political game they are showing maturity by doing the teaching/responsibility/gun safety thing.

If I were to choose a moral high ground for myself and my child I know where Id stand.

And this is a problem because?

As I understand it, it is illegal for anyone under 18 to own a firearm.

• Like 1

As I understand it, it is illegal for anyone under 18 to own a firearm.

Purchase not own. With the new laws ownership will be included. That means no more taking your son hunting a father son bonding ritual for some for generations extending back to the origin of this country. If you need a connection to the relevancy of the Constitution to todays world theres one.

Purchase not own. With the new laws ownership will be included. That means no more taking your son hunting a father son bonding ritual for some for generations extending back to the origin of this country.

My mistake. Thanks for the information. My heart does not bleed for the loss of that "ritual".

Your compassion fills me with joy and bliss. Im sure the favor will be returned 10 fold when its the right you care about being taken away.

• Like 1

Anyone calling these guns "military style rifles" or "assault weapons" needs to learn what a assault rifle is!These guns are not automatic and do not have a 3 round burst option.They are the same as most other rifles just look different

• Like 1

Anyone calling these guns "military style rifles" or "assault weapons" needs to learn what a assault rifle is!T

you are missing the point. I don't care what you call them. Let's agree on purple flower conciliation device.

you are missing the point. I don't care what you call them. Let's agree on purple flower conciliation device.

Pardon me,i just noticed your location is illinois barry land makes sense now.Hows barry's strict laws up there working out?I believe the past year chicago was one of the top places for gun violence in the world.Detroit strict gun laws crime everywhere.It is your right to not have them if you choose though.

How about you teach kids about the value of human life before you give them the means to take it?

• Like 2

How about you teach kids about the value of human life before you give them the means to take it?

Aarrgh, stop making sense.

They are fun. I don't go to the shooting range out of a sense of duty. I go for fun. In the right settings under the proper supervision there is nothing wrong with this. It'll teach proper handling and respect for the arm.

Yes, there's normal shooting ranges in most countries where strict fire control is maintained at all times, then there's these kinds of ranges in the U.S.A.

[media=]

[/media]

Actually I think I've fired most of those weapons in the vid, except only in short bursts. Emptying out a 100 round drum magazine must be fun but you'd never hit anything. Still, the Marshal Tucker soundtrack fits the setting. Southern Rock!

p.s. I'd be dammed if I'd Iet a 5 year old blast away with an UZI, where the hell is the range officer?

If that would be the motivation I would have no problem with it. And if you cannot find the problem that must be because you failed to read the article, where any discussion would become fruitless.