Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A habitable environment on Martian volcano?

Waspie_Dwarf

A habitable environment on Martian volcano?

PROVIDENCE, R.I. [brown University] — The slopes of a giant Martian volcano, once covered in glacial ice, may have been home to one of the most recent habitable environments yet found on the Red Planet, according to new research led by Brown University geologists.

Nearly twice as tall as Mount Everest, Arsia Mons is the third tallest volcano on Mars and one of the largest mountains in the solar system. This new analysis of the landforms surrounding Arsia Mons shows that eruptions along the volcano’s northwest flank happened at the same time that a glacier covered the region around 210 million years ago. The heat from those eruptions would have melted massive amounts of ice to form englacial lakes — bodies of water that form within glaciers like liquid bubbles in a half-frozen ice cube.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• OverSword

• Frank Merton

Top Posters In This Topic

Doh! That was a deceptive headline Waspie.

Two hundred ten million years ago is a lot more recent than two and half billion, but gee that's nevertheless over a hundred million years before the dinosaurs went extinct, so I guess "recent" is relative.

I would guess if life was able to survive there it would be from earth contamination, since it would not be long enough for it to evolve locally -- but that is just my guess.

Doh! That was a deceptive headline Waspie.

Firstly it's not my title, it is title the article's authors gave it. Maybe they (foolishly it would seem) assumed people would read the article before coming to any conclusions.

Secondly, what exactly is deceptive about it? Is it or is it not an article about a habitable environment on a Martian volcano? Does it any any way state in the title WHEN the habitable environment existed?

If it was possible to give all the relevant information in the title I could save myself the bother and not actually post the article.

Why do people leap to wrong conclusions before actually reading an article and then blame others for their own misconceptions?

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf