Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

[Merged] Dyatlov Pass incident

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

Poll: [Merged] Dyatlov Pass incident (156 member(s) have cast votes)

What happened to them?

1. Murder (9 votes [5.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.77%

2. Alien Abduction (23 votes [14.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.74%

3. Bigfoot (4 votes [2.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

4. Werewolves/Vampire /Skinwalkers (6 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

5. Government Cover-up (29 votes [18.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.59%

6. Gang Attack (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Supernatural Causes (21 votes [13.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.46%

8. Other (64 votes [41.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,215 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:45 AM

View PostSamuronin, on 16 March 2010 - 06:35 AM, said:

Okay, but does that still apply to this kind of environment, where decomposition is slower? But anyway, why was it that only one of them (interestingly a female) has its tongue missing?...I'm still baffled. :hmm:

The sequence of events cannot be determined with accuracy. In such low temps, the tongue will freeze if exposed in a matter of minutes, it was more likely a window of opportunity.

Decomposition being slower would preserve the tongue so there would be more chances to eat portions of it.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#47    Samuronin

Samuronin

Most Valuable Player

• 3,048 posts

• "Be yourself. There is something that you can do better than any other. Listen to the inward voice and bravely obey that. "

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:06 AM

Double post

Edited by Samuronin, 16 March 2010 - 07:09 AM.

Posted Image
The Difference between the unattainable and the attainable lies in a person's determination.

#48    Samuronin

Samuronin

Most Valuable Player

• 3,048 posts

• "Be yourself. There is something that you can do better than any other. Listen to the inward voice and bravely obey that. "

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:09 AM

The sequence of events cannot be determined with accuracy. In such low temps, the tongue will freeze if exposed in a matter of minutes, it was more likely a window of opportunity.

Decomposition being slower would preserve the tongue so there would be more chances to eat portions of it.

The whole body, not only tongue will be frozen, so every part of it is pretty much consumable. But still does not answer as to why only one of the bodies where touched by scavenger/s if its the case.

Posted Image
The Difference between the unattainable and the attainable lies in a person's determination.

#49    bigdaddyinge

bigdaddyinge

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

• no, of course i'm not all right. i'm half right. the other half is left.

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:38 AM

seems like people are really reaching to try to explain the tongue aspect in a scientific manner. nobody is gonna convince me that a scavenger came, ignored the other dead bodies, as well as other choice parts of the woman {i.e. eyes, ears, internal organs, genitalia) and decided to take just her tongue. wild animals DO NOT work that way. scavengers are opportunistic feeders, and would have gorged themselves on most if not all of these parts. while i'm not saying something paranormal happened,  I AM saying that it wasn't a scavenger... that makes less sense than a friggin ufo or bigfoot.

bigdaddyinge

#50    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:04 AM

People, lets not forget that this was an event from 1959, in full cold war. God knows I'm not a conspiracy nut at all, but the period it happened, being what it was, and the country being, the then USSR, does give certain pointers.
What you saw in a report was most likely a fabrication, made by the Politbureau, the KGB or the GRU. The fact that it was classified for so many years, tends to prove that much. To be honest I rather believe this to be a "disposal of unwanted people or witnesses", camouflaged (badly I admit) as a hicking accident.

The Politbureau, the KGB or the GRU not being the most subtle of organisations....

I do not believe however, that it was anything not from earth lol

Edited by TheSearcher, 16 March 2010 - 08:04 AM.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#51    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:49 AM

View PostProfessor GlenBoy, on 15 March 2010 - 11:33 PM, said:

I have not, but im assuming you have?

It seems people on this site find a possible explaination and say "there we go, must have been X" no matter that they haven't done any real research which might disprove "X".

Im not suggesting that it wasn't hypothermia brought on by an avalanche, just that there was no mention of it on the OP.

No, I can't read Cyrillic! I am just going on what seems most likely given the area and the limited real information available.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#52    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:52 AM

View Postbigdaddyinge, on 16 March 2010 - 07:38 AM, said:

seems like people are really reaching to try to explain the tongue aspect in a scientific manner. nobody is gonna convince me that a scavenger came, ignored the other dead bodies, as well as other choice parts of the woman {i.e. eyes, ears, internal organs, genitalia) and decided to take just her tongue. wild animals DO NOT work that way. scavengers are opportunistic feeders, and would have gorged themselves on most if not all of these parts. while i'm not saying something paranormal happened,  I AM saying that it wasn't a scavenger... that makes less sense than a friggin ufo or bigfoot.
Yes they do, depending on the size of the animal and if there was disturbance around them they would stop quick enough. Foxes are known to just take the tongue from dead cattle for example.

YNWA

#53    Samuronin

Samuronin

Most Valuable Player

• 3,048 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:04 AM

Yes they do, depending on the size of the animal and if there was disturbance around them they would stop quick enough. Foxes are known to just take the tongue from dead cattle for example.  

Good point, seems to me that if the missing tongue was really caused by a scavenger, Artic Fox this would be my culprit, after all it ts fairly small in size and it is native in Russia.

Edited by Samuronin, 16 March 2010 - 09:06 AM.

Posted Image

#54    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:10 AM

View PostSamuronin, on 16 March 2010 - 09:04 AM, said:

Good point, seems to me that if the missing tongue was really caused by a scavenger, Artic Fox this would be my culprit, after all it ts fairly small in size and it is native in Russia.
Posted Image

YNWA

#55    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:37 AM

View PostMattshark, on 16 March 2010 - 09:10 AM, said:

Posted Image

This would be the cullprit in your opinion?

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#56    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:08 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 16 March 2010 - 09:37 AM, said:

This would be the cullprit in your opinion?

I think it would be a good culprit, small enough and known in the area and most definitely precocious enough to approach much larger animals.

YNWA

#57    bigdaddyinge

bigdaddyinge

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

View PostMattshark, on 16 March 2010 - 08:52 AM, said:

do you mind citing your source of this information, for i've never heard of it. i HAVE heard of foxes eating the tongues of dead cattle before, along with the eyes, ears, and udders..... mmmm, where have i heard that before? oh yeah, it was my last post. this site, http://mynarskifores...om/ev17adit.htm, acknowledges that artic foxes actually hoard food in large caches, rather than wasting food. i've read this in other sites as well.

View PostMattshark, on 16 March 2010 - 09:10 AM, said:

Posted Image
um... that's not a fox... it's an american marten.... not found in russia. a pine marten is, although it probably isn't the wastefull feeder you are grasping at either. here's a link for info on the pine marten...http://http//www.treesforlife.org.uk/tfl.pinemarten.html
try listing some sources for your guesses and maybe they'll gain credence.

Edited by bigdaddyinge, 16 March 2010 - 10:50 AM.

bigdaddyinge

#58    Isensee

Isensee

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

• "Through the sorrow all through our splendour.
    Don't take offence at my innuendo."

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

I can't believe someone actually has voted for werewolf/vampire.

Concerning the missing tongues - tongue is one of the first bits of corpses the wildlife usually goes for so I see no problems in explaining that.

That all said, I do agree a little with TheSearcher - USSR did have a lot of secrets and while I doubt it's anything supernatural(personal opinion based on factual evidence), the KGB and the rest of the Government facilities could have probably labeled the case confidential.

I could be wrong though, I seem to vaguely remember a russian site that had some pretty extensive information about the whole incident and it may have stated there was seen no reason to make what was a hiking accident top secret. I will attempt to find the site but no promises.

Ise

#59    bigdaddyinge

bigdaddyinge

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

View PostMattshark, on 16 March 2010 - 10:08 AM, said:

I think it would be a good culprit, small enough and known in the area and most definitely precocious enough to approach much larger animals.
nope. wrong marten. that's an AMERICAN marten. you are thinking of a pine marten, which in any case wouldn't just eat a tongue, besides the op states that the area around the dead people wasn't disturbed by scavengers.

View PostIsensee, on 16 March 2010 - 10:15 AM, said:

I can't believe someone actually has voted for werewolf/vampire.

Concerning the missing tongues - tongue is one of the first bits of corpses the wildlife usually goes for so I see no problems in explaining that.

That all said, I do agree a little with TheSearcher - USSR did have a lot of secrets and while I doubt it's anything supernatural(personal opinion based on factual evidence), the KGB and the rest of the Government facilities could have probably labeled the case confidential.

I could be wrong though, I seem to vaguely remember a russian site that had some pretty extensive information about the whole incident and it may have stated there was seen no reason to make what was a hiking accident top secret. I will attempt to find the site but no promises.

Ise
yeah, tongue is ONE of the first bits wildlife usually goes for, not the ONLY bit. just trying to show how you people are grasping to explain this occurrance.

bigdaddyinge

#60    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:45 AM

View Postbigdaddyinge, on 16 March 2010 - 10:15 AM, said:

do you mind citing your source of this information, for i've never heard of it. i HAVE heard of foxes eating the tongues of dead cattle before, along with the eyes, ears, and udders..... mmmm, where have i heard that before? oh yeah, it was my last post. this site, http://mynarskifores...om/ev17adit.htm, acknowledges that artic foxes actually hoard food in large caches, rather than wasting food. i've read this in other sites as well.
It is speculation based on limited information/

um... that's not a fox... it's an american marten.... not found in russia. a pine marten is, although it probably isn't the wastefull feeder you are grasping at either. here's a link for info on the pine marten...My link
try listing some sources for your guesses and maybe they'll gain credence.
No it is a stoat and it is found all across Eurasia.

No one is saying a wasteful feeder, just speculating from the little information available.

Edited by Mattshark, 16 March 2010 - 10:47 AM.

YNWA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users