Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Animals launched on two month space mission

Waspie_Dwarf

Live animals launched on two-month space mission

A high-flying package of live animals, plant seeds, and materials samples shot into space Friday aboard a retrievable Russian Foton satellite, launching a two-month mission focusing on microgravity research into biological and physical sciences.

The workhorse launcher fired its kerosene-fueled engines and lifted off from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 2050 GMT (4:50 p.m. EDT), rocketing into a clear sky over the historic spaceport.

Launch occurred at 2:50 a.m. local time at Baikonur.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Nearly 60 years ago I felt sick when I saw photos of those traumatised monkeys that were sent into space then. Here we are in the 21st century and we have learned nothing. I absolutely despair of the human race.

• Like 2

Nearly 60 years ago I felt sick when I saw photos of those traumatised monkeys that were sent into space then. Here we are in the 21st century and we have learned nothing. I absolutely despair of the human race.

I can't agree more! Why they can't run these studies at the board of ISS. Why there 's need for another junk satellite around Earth?

• Like 2

Officials unable to contact animal-carrying spaceship

A Russian space capsule carrying a package of biological and materials research specimens, including geckos and plant seeds, has stopped responding to commands from Earth, the Russian space agency announced Thursday.

The Foton M4 spacecraft launched July 18 on a two-month mission with 22 Russian and German experiments to study how animals, plants, microbes and next-generation manufacturing materials react to spaceflight.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I like what of the suggestions at the bottom of the story.

The Gecko's have taken control of the spaceship !!!

Soon they will issue their demands !

• Like 2

http://www.dailymail...arth-orbit.html

The satellite is no longer controllable but the animals are still alive. What Hellish, perverted, sick mind came up with the idea of sending animals into space?

• Like 1

The satellite is no longer controllable but the animals are still alive. What Hellish, perverted, sick mind came up with the idea of sending animals into space?

The kind of hellish perverted sick mind that wants to better man kind. That wants to make sure that humans children don't suffer from deformities and genetic problems because their parents travelled into space.

The kind of sick perverted minds that would rather risk the lives of a few geckos than human beings.

The kind of sick perverted minds that have given us medicines that save the lives of human beings.

What I think is sick and perverted is placing a few animals above a SINGLE human life.

• Like 3

^ ^ This way of thinking belongs in the 1950s(and goodness knows it was unnacceptable even then). This way of thinking is obscene.

• Like 1

The kind of hellish perverted sick mind that wants to better man kind. That wants to make sure that humans children don't suffer from deformities and genetic problems because their parents travelled into space.

The kind of sick perverted minds that would rather risk the lives of a few geckos than human beings.

The kind of sick perverted minds that have given us medicines that save the lives of human beings.

What I think is sick and perverted is placing a few animals above a SINGLE human life.

You're absolutely right ! People want to get up in arms over 4-5 geckos, when more than that probably die on Earth every day from not being fed properly. Good grief.

'better man kind': better in what way, exactly?

Haven't men already travelled in space? Were any of their children deformed? Because the thing is, mankind won't learn anything about mankind by studying geckos.

The geckos' lives are not theirs to risk.

'The kind of sick, perverted minds that have given us medicines that save the lives of human beings', as I said, this type of thinking is hopelessly out of date because comparing animals to humans doesn't work! Here's a thought: that guy on death row who took two hours to die, I bet he would have volunteered to be shot into space with a couple of female lifers and that would give you some truly useful results. They would have been able to tell you how it was for them.

To say nothing of all the man-hours and money spent on this little jaunt which could have been better spent helping people who are sick now.

'What I think is sick and perverted is placing a few animals above a SINGLE human life' : seriously? You seriously believe that?

Deep breaths Ouija sweety.

I'm sure if we give them some time they'll be able to re-establish communication/contact/control and bring those adorable geckos down back to earth safely.

Brutal. The geckos didn't ask to be experimented on in outer space. Cruel humanity

• Like 1

Unable to contact the ship.....so were the animals answering back at one point?

"mission control to shuttle, what's your status?"

*gecko hisses*

"Captain, why do you make this so difficult?"

• Like 3

I like what of the suggestions at the bottom of the story.

The Gecko's have taken control of the spaceship !!!

Soon they will issue their demands !

Don't worry. Obama will grant them refugee status.

• Like 1

What about the poor geckos left here on Earth? Slaving away selling Auto insurance! It's just not right!

• Like 2

'What I think is sick and perverted is placing a few animals above a SINGLE human life' : seriously? You seriously believe that?

You seriously don't believe that?

You seriously don't believe that?

Isn't it obvoius that I do indeed believe that?

• Like 1

Lest everyone get up in arms, we are talking about a few geckos here, and possibly parthenogenetic ones at that: Some gecko species are only female and lay eggs that are clones of themselves. While I don't condone animal cruelty, space research must continue if we ever hope to colonize the Moon, Mars and beyond. And with any luck (and a lot of hard work) they may reestablish communication with the satellite once again.

Some gecko species are only female and lay eggs that are clones of themselves.

Females and mothers are not important to you then.

Calm down, calm down.

• Like 1

Where talking about the origin of Space Godzilla lol! and WTF is this animal experimentation from apes , bacterias , brine shrimps , tardigades and this! *facepalm* What's next Elephants? , Whales? or maybe Dolphins?

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2740373/Five-geckos-launched-space-experiment-sex-zero-gravity-die-mission.html

Update: the rocket is back, all the geckos are dead. Article also briefly mentions all the other animals who have died in space.

Update: the rocket is back, all the geckos are dead.

Update: a separate topic was started on the return of this spacecraft yesterday - http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=271736

'What I think is sick and perverted is placing a few animals above a SINGLE human life' : seriously? You seriously believe that

I dont know about him/her, but I believe it. I value animal life, but i value human life more.