Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA locates most distant galaxy ever found

Still Waters

The most distant galaxy ever seen in the universe has been detected by NASA's Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes.

Light from the newly discovered galaxy, which astronomers have named MACS0647-JD, reached Earth after travelling across space for 13.3 billion years.

It provides a window on what the galaxy looked like just 420 million years after the big bang, when the universe was only three per cent of its current age.

http://www.telegraph...discovered.html

• Like 2

Dang, Still Waters, I was just about ready to post that when I saw your's.

Anyway, that find truly is awesome.

• Like 1

It's amazing how far back in time we can see. "Gravitational lensing", interesting concept.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to note when and if they find a galaxy 14 or 15 billions light years away contradicting their present guestimate of 13.7 billions light years of the Universe's true age?

WOW! Over 13 million light years away. Now that's a long walk. lol

Of course, at 13 million light years away(from it's light reaching earth), it has had 13 million additional years to go even further.

Edited by pallidin

Why is the Universe so big? That's a lot of space just for us humans! ;P

Distance in the universe = God's quarantine

Great find. And they cant tell us there is no other life out there.

I don't think anyone is, the real question has it stopped by for a visit.

I don't belive in the big bang theory, it cannot be tested, observed, or measured. And for someone to say it all happened 13.7 billion years ago is outrageous! "An explosion in a printing shop could not produce the dictionary". It takes majesty and a divine hand. It was not by accident, nor by a ridiculous explosion haha. If that was the case, what happened before the big bang?

• Like 1

I don't belive in the big bang theory, it cannot be tested, observed, or measured. And for someone to say it all happened 13.7 billion years ago is outrageous! "An explosion in a printing shop could not produce the dictionary". It takes majesty and a divine hand. It was not by accident, nor by a ridiculous explosion haha. If that was the case, what happened before the big bang?

Singularity happened before the Big Bang, and many respected scientists agree with the concept of a singularity.

Secondly, the universe did not originate from a grand EXPLOSION in the way that you are thinking about it -- it was merely a rapid expansion of everything, which generated a lot of energy, consequentially resulting in the formation of the first three elements; Hydrogen, Helium and Lithium.

Thirdly, it most certainly can be observed. As a light source travels away from an object, its hue changes to red (over large distances). This is known as the doppler effect. We use the doppler effect to reinforce the notion that the universe is still expanding as a result of this "explosion". When I say explosion, think about it in terms of the cambrian explosion.

The Cambrian explosion or Cambrian radiation was the relatively rapid appearance, around 530 million years ago, of most major animal phyla, as demonstrated in the fossil record,

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_explosion

Fourthly, just because something appears to be intelligently created, that does not necessitate intelligent design. I can point out a number of mistakes that this creator has made in its creation of the universe.

I suggest doing some research before you make these fantastical and illogical claims.

Edited by Alienated Being

The Big Bang theory ignores the First law of Thermodynamics, which says "matter cannot be created or destroyed". Those who believe in the Big Bang theory are also either unaware of, or ignore the "Second Law of Thermodynamics" which says "Everything tends towards disorder". So rather than the chaos (big bang) becoming ordered (our universe), just the opposite would be true.. And it is. Our complex universe is wearing down, and becoming more chaotic...

American physicist Robert V. Gentry's research shows that rocks known as Precambrian granites were created almost instantly as a part of the creation (as recorded in Genesis 1:1) and "are not the product of the evolution of the earth." He says "the Big Bang version of primordial polonium is without any scientific basis." The way I see it is there are only 2 choices. Either someone created the earth, or the earth created itself. If you think the earth created itself, hey more power to you. But I am right dude, IT CANNOT BE TESTED OR OBSERVED! End of story! Its a ridiculous theory!

Some scientsits say there are stars that are 18-20 billion light years from us, if this is true, it contradicts the big bang theory that happened 13.7 billion years ago. It doesn't make sense.

Wow, where to begin. I will do some research on the furthest light that we can actually see. If we can see the light from 20 billion light years away, that would be the light that already existed coming from another universe (cluster of matter). I believe there are trillions of universes seperated by trillions of light years between each.

99.999% of the light we see today is from our universe and the light can be traced to an original source. This is the point where 2 objects collided, releasing primordial bits of matter which ended up as 99.9% hydrogen and .1% Helium(3). All other atoms were created within stars by combining protons. Super novas compresses atoms together to form the very heavy elements like Gold, Uranium.

Einstein made a slight miscalculation in his formula for a black hole...his answer was a "singularity". This also means infinity. From this error in the math, we consider a black hole as a point infinately small and infinately dense. This is a singularity...which is totally wrong. Once a black hole is created, there is an "event horizon" where once crossed, any matter falls into the black hole, including photons, light. This stuff does not fall into a single spot. The matter is still there but broken down into subatomic particles. The inner core of the black hole is made up of negative particles trying to escape, while the rest of the black hole is pushing toward the core with light stopping gravity. The more matter that is consumed, the larger the black hole becomes, literally, the diameter increases.

Look up my thread on "The heartbeat of a Black Hole".