Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Some of the world's most mysterious waters

Still Waters

Tales of missing maritime vessels and rumors of drifting, crewless ships have long colored the popular imagination when it comes to legends of the high seas.

Certain locations have become synonymous with unexplained disappearances and for intrepid sailors with a taste for the paranormal, these places can hold a spookily magnetic appeal.

So if you fancy a sailing holiday with a supernatural slant, you'll need to know where the fiction ends and the facts begin. To help you along your way we delve deep into some of the world's most mysterious waters.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nyuk

• iamdee1

• ShadowSot

• Old Hippie Blogger

I for one love hearing all those tales about the ocean! I think the most intriguing one is of the Mary Celeste but I know there are many others like that too.

• 2 months later...

Thankyou Still Waters

Ive been interested in the bermuda/devils triangle.

I found your post most informative and interesti

This:

However, in later years, skeptics have argued that the number of ships and aircraft reported missing in the area is, statistically, no more significant than in any other part of the ocean.

Indeed, the area is today one of the most heavily traveled shipping lanes in the world, and most appear to get by without so much as dipping oar into another dimension.

Itdoesn't help that all of these areas expand based off of new reports of missing ships. The entire Atlantic must be one huge phantom zone.

Those are major shipping lanes, ships are more likely to disappear simply because there are more of them passing through.

As for Flight 19, which kick started the phrase, we don't know where they dumped. Theories range up and down the Eastern Coast and into the Everglades.

This:

Itdoesn't help that all of these areas expand based off of new reports of missing ships. The entire Atlantic must be one huge phantom zone.

Those are major shipping lanes, ships are more likely to disappear simply because there are more of them passing through.

As for Flight 19, which kick started the phrase, we don't know where they dumped. Theories range up and down the Eastern Coast and into the Everglades.

There are however weird places on the planet where electronics start going haywire. Like the Zone of Silence in Mexico for example. But I agree, it is more likely that the explanation is that the ocean can be treacherous and since theres a lot of traffic, that usually means more accidents are gonna happen as well.

This:

Quite true ~ Since the beginning of man venturing into the sea, ships and people have gone missing. Why, well it is that old sea monster that lies just off the horizon, or obviously, they went too far and sailed off the edge of the earth. The fact is that we know as little about the sea as we do outer space, less in some respects. But they do make for some interesting movies and books.

Quite true ~ Since the beginning of man venturing into the sea, ships and people have gone missing. Why, well it is that old sea monster that lies just off the horizon, or obviously, they went too far and sailed off the edge of the earth. The fact is that we know as little about the sea as we do outer space, less in some respects. But they do make for some interesting movies and books.

Yes. I always enjoy watching documentaries on television about the missing airplanes and ships. Often blamed on The Bermuda Triangle.

But I have wondered though, does this ever still happen ? Do vessels like that still ever vanish ?

If not, then why not ? Nothing really should have changed out there in that area of the ocean. Any electromagnetic forces or methane gas or wierd cosmic vibes should still be there.

Yes. I always enjoy watching documentaries on television about the missing airplanes and ships. Often blamed on The Bermuda Triangle.

But I have wondered though, does this ever still happen ? Do vessels like that still ever vanish ?

If not, then why not ? Nothing really should have changed out there in that area of the ocean. Any electromagnetic forces or methane gas or wierd cosmic vibes should still be there.

Too many camara crews there. The trianhgle must be like bigfoot, a bit camera shy.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was a kid in school, I remember learning about the Bermuda Triangle. It was in one of our school books and I remember wishing there was more information on it. How could a plane or a large ship just disappear and never be found?

When I was a kid in school, I remember learning about the Bermuda Triangle. It was in one of our school books and I remember wishing there was more information on it. How could a plane or a large ship just disappear and never be found?

The oceans are very big and ships, in comparison, are very small. Ship occasionally disappear on the Great Lakes (like the famous Edmund Fitzgerald) which are, by comparison, much smaller.

Thing is it's difficult to search for something under water, especially when you only have a general idea of where to look.

Think of how long it took to find the Titanic, when her sinking was fairly well documented.

The oceans are very big and ships, in comparison, are very small. Ship occasionally disappear on the Great Lakes (like the famous Edmund Fitzgerald) which are, by comparison, much smaller.

Thing is it's difficult to search for something under water, especially when you only have a general idea of where to look.

Think of how long it took to find the Titanic, when her sinking was fairly well documented.

I know the ocean is really deep and it would be hard to find anything under that much water.

If I remember right, and it has been a long time, they did think there was something going on that was stopping the engines or motors back then. I'm sure they have probably come up with more rational solutions as to what would cause the motors to stop since I was in school.

What are your thoughts as to what could have caused engine failure over the ocean assuming the outages were caused by a force and not an accident?

I wonder, do they still teach about the Bermuda Triangle in school these days?

They don't teach about the Bermuda triangle these days for a simple reason.

There's nothing to it.

One important thing to remember about the triangle is the size of it, it changes size to absorb any missing ships in the area.

The actual loss rate for the area, though, is low. It's a major shipping zone, which means occasionally ships go missing, and when they do, unless the ship is immediately found, you can't say why until you find the wreck.

When it comes to these unique theories invented by people... they're not needed. The loss rate is what you'd expect from pilot error, accidents.

They don't teach about the Bermuda triangle these days for a simple reason.

There's nothing to it.

One important thing to remember about the triangle is the size of it, it changes size to absorb any missing ships in the area.

The actual loss rate for the area, though, is low. It's a major shipping zone, which means occasionally ships go missing, and when they do, unless the ship is immediately found, you can't say why until you find the wreck.

When it comes to these unique theories invented by people... they're not needed. The loss rate is what you'd expect from pilot error, accidents.

I do remember one incident where the captain or pilot radio'd a comment something to the effect of the water looked different there before contact was lost and they disappeared. Do you remember hearing about this account? I'll look on the internet and see if I can find it anywhere, may have been too much time that passed tho and it may not have caught up with the internet.

Some time ago i saw a documentary on tv bout the bermuda triangle.

When they discussed the planes vanishing, one theory was they became disorientated and flew out to sea, the fuel ran out and they ditched and sunk. There was no official record and although other aircraft searched for them, they only searched the flightpath, not knowing they had gone out to sea.

A theory bout ships sinking suggested freak waves caused them to sink. Leaving no trace.

It was very good to watch, and was like a docudrama.

I do remember one incident where the captain or pilot radio'd a comment something to the effect of the water looked different there before contact was lost and they disappeared. Do you remember hearing about this account? I'll look on the internet and see if I can find it anywhere, may have been too much time that passed tho and it may not have caught up with the internet.

"Flight 19".

Was flight 19 the name for the group of aircraft which dissappeared whilst on training?

Or is it some other plane which dissappeared?

Ok, I have read several articles about it last night and today and it is still as interesting as I remember from school only more information is available now then there was then.

Flight 19, was an entire squadron of TBM Avengers, that departed from Fort Lauderdale Florida in 1945 and disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle. They were torpedo bombers on a training missing. Also, a PBM patrol plane that was searching for the missing planes came up missing too and was never found. A merchant ship reported a "burst of flame" and an oil slick but no wreckage was ever recovered.

One article I read had many explanations for what was going on. Some explained it as simply people crashing due to human error, methane hydrate which could cause a ship to just sink and aircrafts to explode, storms or water spouts, and Psychic Edgar Cayces theory of Fire Crystals from Atlantis that sent out enery fields.

It was very interesting article. It stated that in 1492, Christopher Columbus may have been the first one to document unusual activity in the Bermuda Triangle. He claimed compass malfunctions and a bolt of fire was observed falling into the sea as well as a light on the horizon.

There are so many different theories as to what may be going on in the Triangle. The one I thought was most interesting, not sure if it is true or not but the most intersting non the less, is that people go into the center of the Triangle and get "trapped in between time dimensions" and cannot get out of it. Some believe it is a portal in which aliens come back and forth from their world to ours.

I remember when we studied it in school, I was already infatuated by the unknown due to my dying and being brought back and I read everything I could about things that couldn't be explained after that. The Bermuda Triangle intrigued me because, back then, I believed it was aliens. Now, I'm not really sure what I believe about it but it very interesting to say the least.

I know the ocean is very big and that there is plenty of water to get lost in but of the hundreds of disappearances, I would think that at least one of the lost ships or planes would have been found.

I don't necessarily believe that we are all there is. I don't believe we will ever truely know what really caused the disappearances, not in my lifetime anyway.

Edited by iamdee1

Thankyou iamdee1.

I found your post very interesting.

I thought flight 19 was the training squadron. I didnt realise another plane vanished also.

I think the triangle may very well be a portal into a paralell universe.

If it is, i bet there are lots of people who feel very confused.

The thing I find interesting though is there are also a hell of a lot of unreported planes and ships missing that haven't been reported because they were likely drug runners. The sea around Berumda is literally littered with plane wrecks. Obviously it doesn't prove the Triangle myth but if they were added to the figures I wonder how that would effect the statistics.

Flight 19, was an entire squadron of TBM Avengers, that departed from Fort Lauderdale Florida in 1945 and disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle. They were torpedo bombers on a training missing. Also, a PBM patrol plane that was searching for the missing planes came up missing too and was never found. A merchant ship reported a "burst of flame" and an oil slick but no wreckage was ever recovered.

The PBM Mariner was notorious for engine and fuel problems - not the least of which was that they occasionaly exploded in mid-air.

• 1 month later...