Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

please and thank you.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,226 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:50 AM

I was wondering if you still use these or not.

I rarely use please, but I almost always say thank you.  I never demand things, I ask.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#2    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:32 AM

I use both please and thank you...Like - "Gary would you PLEASE stop talking when I am trying to watch this movie?? Thank you !!"  lol

My daughter is one for putting the two together at once - She'd be all - "Can I please have a cookie before my dinner? Thank you please? " ( yea says it back to front )..I say no cookies before dinner...Then I get - Awwwwww PLEASE...She uses it a LOT when she is looking something she knows that normally will get a  no for an answer !!

Most common is.. Please please pretty please... * You say no*  awwww go on please please puullleaseeeee? * You give in and say ok then*  and it's  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.... :D

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 19 June 2013 - 01:33 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,957 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

Well of COURSE!  Hadn't you heard?  Please and thank you are the magic words  :D

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#4    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,902 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:18 AM

yes indeed ... my furry buddy ...

Posted Image

thank you indeed ... and please pleases please still ...
thank goodness //

`

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#5    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,007 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:31 AM

Of course I do...I'm from the South. I even use may I, sir and ma'am without sounding condescending. :innocent:

#6    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:06 AM

I always use them. Although I must say several have commented that they do not hear it often enough in general.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#7    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,722 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:11 AM

I say please and thank you everyday

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,359 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

Yes indeed, Americans are polite.  The first words an American looks up in the English-Vietnamese dictionary are the words for "please" and "thank-you."

Vietnamese find it a bit too much.  When a merchant sells you something and you leave, they are expected to say, "Thank you."  You will get this in places where the staff is trained to deal with foreigners, but the typical Vietnamese street merchant sees the transaction is over and turns away to other business.  A Vietnamese customer would see a "thank-you" in that context as excessive and patronizing.

In some ways Vietnamese, especially those with less education, can be abysmally rude.  This is especially so when they jostle each other in crowds, sometimes almost knocking people over and butting in line.  I am glad to see Western influence beginning to moderate this behavior.

#9    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,957 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

View PostMichelle, on 19 June 2013 - 02:31 AM, said:

Of course I do...I'm from the South. I even use may I, sir and ma'am without sounding condescending. :innocent:
I'm 52 Michelle and when I was growing up if I or my sisters forgot to respect an elder with a sir or ma'am....woe betide us!  It became as instinctive as breathing and it lasts even today.  I actually treasure it because it's a relic of a dying past here in the south.  And it never even existed elsewhere in the country afaik.  Good manners are their own reward.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#10    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

POPULAR

Please, thank you, excuse me, pardon me, you're welcome, yes sir, yes ma'am. ..etc. etc. My mom was big on manners lol.

Although I'm a grown man, I have this fear instilled in the back of my mind that if I'm not polite, my mom is going to appear out  of nowhere and smack me in the back of the head.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#11    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,007 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

View Postand then, on 19 June 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

I'm 52 Michelle and when I was growing up if I or my sisters forgot to respect an elder with a sir or ma'am....woe betide us!  It became as instinctive as breathing and it lasts even today.  I actually treasure it because it's a relic of a dying past here in the south.  And it never even existed elsewhere in the country afaik.  Good manners are their own reward.

:tu:

Even opening doors for someone, no matter who it is, is second nature to me.

#12    Tia

Tia

The Naughty Angel.

• 6,272 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

I also use please, thank you, open doors and let people in front of me while shopping if I have a big load and they only have a few items.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Gandhi.
HEY I WON!

#13    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

I recall one time when I did visit the south in the USA...Someone said to me - Thank you ma'am ...I instantly felt weak at the knees I LOVED it.. It sounded so polite and sweet... While I was still in the south I deliberately went in and out of stores to buy a couple of items, just so I could hear them say - "Thank you ma'am ..you have a great day."..  I lapped it all up, loving it..This was new to me, because back home here in the north of Ireland, you rarely hear that, and if you do hear it, it doesn't sound as good..  What I also noticed in the south is how polite they are to you when you enter a store.. Instantly they say - Hey  there, how are you?..What can I get you?  OR How can I help you today?  And when they address you as  *Darlin*,  it is like the cherry on the cake, love it... All of it so polite....

Where I come from, normally the people will say - Ahhh Cheers good stuff thanks ..And  - Could you do that for me? Awww thank you, you're a sweetheart  cheers.. I tend to say cheers more so...

In the Irish language... Please is - Le do thoil  ..Pronounced as - Led da hull ....Thank you in Irish is - Go raibh maith agat ...Pronounced as Gar my aggat,  I used to think they were saying - Guard my yoghurt   lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 19 June 2013 - 11:02 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#14    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,733 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

I always use Please, Thank you, Sir or Ma'am...  Even when the other person is noticably younger than I am...  And will hold the door for anyone following me or coming the other direction (if I'm able)...

I like the look on the young 'uns faces when I'm getting a burger or something, and say it after they serve me...  It never hurts to be polite....

I've only had one incident where a woman got angry and started lecturing me because I held the door for her and called her "Ma'am"... I let her rant for a bit and really wanted to say something along the lines of
"Ok, since you don't like Ma'am, how about "b***h"?"   But contented myself with a pleasant smile and saying "Ok. Have a nice day then"

#15    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,562 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 19 June 2013 - 04:11 AM, said:

I say please and thank you everyday
So do I

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users