Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Solar eclipse today

Kevin28

I was born during a solar eclipse . I have to go buy a lotto ticket now .

I had the chance to observe the May 20th solar eclipse over North America (where I lived: 75% of the sun was eclipsed in the late afternoon), so I wish the best of luck for Australia viewing theirs (safely) with the right equipment to prevent damage to the eyes.

Simbi, my birthdate was a day before a total solar eclipse though wasn't visible over North America, according to astronomical records. I should blow $5 on a lotto ticket to see if I'm able to win anything. :clap:

Doesn't matter cuz you're not in Australia. :P

I knew it was in Australia I just said that because all he said was there's a solar eclipse today like more information didn't matter.

One of our sons and his friends is now North of Cairns, for the total eclipse. I'm trying to ring his mobile-cell phone, but he's not answering. The weather seems to be good for viewing (going by Google), and here is an article about the eclipse, as viewed from Cairns.

Tourists flock to Queensland for Cairns' first total eclipse since 710AD

Thousands of people are heading to Queensland in the hope of seeing a two-minute solar eclipse in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

The eclipse is expected to begin at 05.45 in the far north of the Australian state, with totality occurring at 06.38 on November 14 (20.38 GMT on November 13).

Well I'm in New Zealand and right now about 75% of the sun is Ecipsed..

It's pretty cool, I didn't epect to see it here as it's totality will be Cairns & Australia..

Quite a gloomy/airy lack of light though.

It's pretty cool, I didn't epect to see it here as it's totality will be Cairns & Australia..

An experience to remember, I would think. :tu:
  • Like 1

I experienced the August 11 1999 from London, where there was 96% totality. I was then lucky enough to experience totality during the 21 June 2001 eclipse from Northern Zimbabwe.

It is difficult to explain just how massive the difference between even 99% and 100% is to someone that hasn't experienced a total solar eclipse. Totality is indescribably beautiful. The solar corona is only visible at totality and gives an eerie colour to the sky. It is an amazing and moving site. I would urge anyone that has a chance to experience totality to do so.

• Like 1

An experience to remember, I would think. :tu:

I experienced the August 11 1999 from London, where there was 96% totality. I was then lucky enough to experience totality during the 21 June 2001 eclipse from Northern Zimbabwe.

It is difficult to explain just how massive the difference between even 99% and 100% is to someone that hasn't experienced a total solar eclipse. Totality is indescribably beautiful. The solar corona is only visible at totality and gives an eerie colour to the sky. It is an amazing and moving site. I would urge anyone that has a chance to experience totality to do so.

Yeah, it's deffinately an experience to remember, even though this one is i think only about 80% totallity, what I've found rather striking is that the light on my skin is cold.. The absence of warmth in the light makes one appreciate the sun a little more doesn't it.. quite a few sunspots too, but I can't be bothered getting the telescope out, looking through the filter is fun enough without looking for pominences..

The only total eclipse I've experienced was on a day when it was poaring with rain.. that wasn't much fun at all.

I would love to witness totality, but Cairns was a bit far north for me. I was very excited, had alarms set for the last 6 months. This morning the family had breakfast outside with welding masks on.

I bet we were quite a sight. Very good view through the welding masks though.

Last time I was around for one of these was when I was my daughters age in primary school. Been waiting a while for this one.

I loved seeing outside get bright, dim down, and then brighten up again. It's like a snooze alarm morning.

You did well, I am on the Gold Coast and we got about 80%, but it looked a little less to me. Maybe 75%.

• Like 1

You did well, I am on the Gold Coast and we got about 80%, but it looked a little less to me. Maybe 75%.

These things are very, VERY, precisely know. If the astronomers say it was 80% from the Gold Coast (and indeed they did) then 80% is what it was.

I live on the Tablelands in Nth Qld, had 98% eclipse, had to drive 20km for total. Was so silent, only had

a welding mask as all solar glasses were sold out.

• Like 1

These things are very, VERY, precisely know. If the astronomers say it was 80% from the Gold Coast (and indeed they did) then 80% is what it was.

I am sure their figures are correct, and much more accurate than my naked eye observations, the peak seemed to be rather short, it might just be that I expected more coverage from the internet animations I have been looking at over the last few months. I would love to have had the time and money to pop up to Cairns for the day.

As such, I thought Professor T in New Zealand managed quite a spectacular view going by his description. I thought the angle did not look kind to New Zealand, but it sounds like they had just as good a view as most of the East Coast of Australia.

• Like 1

Here's what we saw..

I'm in Taranaki NZ, so I figure I saw roughly 80%.

Auckland & further north got has much as 90%.

10giw0o.jpg

Just to re-iterate the recommendation - if you ever get the chance to go to see a total eclipse (don't bother with an 'annular' one, by the way), then DO IT.

DO IT.

DO IT!!!!!

I've only seen one but was heavily involved in another, and *almost* got to go to Cairns but it just didn't quite work out. I'll definitely be at the next one in Oz - I need to see at least one more before I depart this earth.. :)

Witnessing this spectacle is just indescribable. No video or picture can prepare you for what is an intensely emotional and wondrous sight - the gradual darkening, then the deep shadow racing across the ground towards you, the 'diamond ring' and 'bailey's beads' and then the extraordinarily awe-inspiring deep steely blue sky (the very brightest stars become visible) and that jet black disc up there, surrounded by the beautiful corona.

Goosebumps just thinking about it..

And I'm afraid a partial eclipse (as I saw this time, from Brisbane) is interesting, but just doesn't compare in any way to the real thing. So...

..start planning your trip to see one NOW. Here, let me help via my mate Fred Espenak (Mr Eclipse)

• Like 1