Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is There A Decline?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46    No Censorship

No Censorship

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:30 AM

View PostGodofcats, on 02 June 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

The programs of that past made you think, the programs of today are strictly to entertain.

Some of that might be nostalgia and selective memories on our parts. "Night Court" isn't too thought-provoking. On the other hand, I'm with you if you're talking about the series that were on channels like Discovery. Some of the best shows, from many cable channels, are no longer available on standard tiers.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#47    The Nameless One

The Nameless One

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

• (\ /)
    (0.0)
    (><)
    /_|_\
    Frank The Rabbit: 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Nothing beats Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack. I miss watching it, the stories were detailed, easy to follow and straight forward, filled with suspense, eerie music and sound effects, with somewhat decent actors. The show gave people the chills, and at times could be absolutely real and terrifying knowing this could possibly be happening to you. Another very creepy and really good show but very underrated was Sightings hosted by Tim White.

One night I ventured to my wooden rocking chair right outside my back porch, and I looked to the sky in the break of twilight, staring into the dark mirror of space, filled with sands of star dust, colossal supernovas and red giants, strings of wormholes and distant planets beyond my grasp. A place where tiny enigmatic hidden black holes tear through the fabric of space and time which, who knows; may lead into other dimensions and perhaps alternate realities. And as I look up at this heavens mirror which my hands can only reach so far through this looking glass, I felt an odd sensation of something looking back staring into my own eyes, staring into a whole other universe of which I new nothing about until I saw my reflection within it, and in that moment I then knew that the key which open the portal doors to parallel worlds was myself.    "The Eyes of the Universe, Chris Landrum"

#48    No Censorship

No Censorship

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:40 AM

View PostThe Nameless One, on 11 June 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Nothing beats Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack. I miss watching it, the stories were detailed, easy to follow and straight forward, filled with suspense, eerie music and sound effects, with somewhat decent actors. The show gave people the chills, and at times could be absolutely real and terrifying knowing this could possibly be happening to you. Another very creepy and really good show but very underrated was Sightings hosted by Tim White.

I love those shows. Like you, I enjoy and prefer their presentations over that of the disconnected and unorganized style of many current programs. "Paranormal Witness" is a relatively new speculative series that you might appreciate since it's a bit like U.M. in its format. People talk about what they experienced while the events are reenacted.

#49    Lorelilly

Lorelilly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 44 posts

• Godís drifting in heaven, devilís in the mailbox
    I got dust on my shoes, nothing but teardrops.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:49 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 24 May 2013 - 02:27 AM, said:

I referred to only paranormal and speculative programs, but I wholeheartedly agreed with your post. The decline covered all kinds of television. You brought up some good examples. Many of these posts brought an old Bruce Springsteen song to mind. I forgot the title, but it was something like "87 Channels And Nothing To Watch". Our cable tier has been like that tune for ages. Most of the cable movies and series stunk. The quality programming moved to a more expensive tier. Reality shows played a part in that. The cable channels replaced their appropriate programs with reality series, and they put their appropriate programs on new channels that were not available on our cable tier. So, we were stuck with shows, about buyers and sellers of stuff, instead of the appropriate historical and scientific series that once aired on historical and scientific channels. :lol: We got stuck with Honey Boo Boo on The Learning Channel (along with the cakes, dwarfs, gypsies, polygamists.)

Bruce's song is 57 Channels And Nothings On. I love Unsolved Mysteries...I bet I've seen most of 'em  4 or 5 times. (don't tell anyone)  Who loves American Horror Story or The Killing?

And the first Reality Show was The Loud Family. A PBS documentary that aired in 1973. Twelve parts and it covered the lives of a "normal" American family. It was WAY before its time. As I recall, one son was gay, or it was strongly suggested, and the parents end up divorcing...sorry, my mind is hitting a wall.

Anyway, reality TV is a furtherance of the dumbing down of mother earth....thank God there are plenty of books...even the bad ones are better then what shows up on TV nowadays....

pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until in our despair there comes wisdom through the awful grace of God  ~Aeschylus

#50    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

I don't watch TV much anymore, except for the local news  so I can see what the weather will be.

#51    No Censorship

No Censorship

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:25 AM

View PostLorelilly, on 07 July 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

Bruce's song is 57 Channels And Nothings On. I love Unsolved Mysteries...I bet I've seen most of 'em  4 or 5 times. (don't tell anyone)  Who loves American Horror Story or The Killing?

And the first Reality Show was The Loud Family. A PBS documentary that aired in 1973. Twelve parts and it covered the lives of a "normal" American family. It was WAY before its time. As I recall, one son was gay, or it was strongly suggested, and the parents end up divorcing...sorry, my mind is hitting a wall.

Anyway, reality TV is a furtherance of the dumbing down of mother earth....thank God there are plenty of books...even the bad ones are better then what shows up on TV nowadays....

I caught both seasons of "American Horror Story". It served as the exception to my rule. As a rule, I always skipped movies and TV shows that were drenched in blood and gore. I read that the third season will be set in New Orleans. An unspeakably evil and grotesque crime took place there before the Civil War. I wondered if  the writers had that in mind when they wrote the scripts. It was as bad as most of the series' dark plots. It was in the realm of Mengele and Japanese POW camps.

I mentioned the series about the Louds. That came and went, and we were spared more of the same until "The Real World" was foisted upon us. That marked the beginning of the end, in my opinion. MTV was culpable in the creation of the horrible fad that plagued our screens for some 23 years.

#52    No Censorship

No Censorship

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:28 AM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 07 July 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

I don't watch TV much anymore, except for the local news  so I can see what the weather will be.

I often watch our local forecast online. It's nice when you don't have to sit through boring stories about apple fairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users