Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

True Blood on HBO

Sho_Sho

I've only read the first book, and seen the first two episodes on the internet....

Meh, the book was entertaining, but I didn't like it for the Vampire aspect of it. IMO those aren't Vampires, another typical adaption of the word adding sex to the dead. Ironic I've always wondered how they can have sex when their dead? If their heart does not beat and blood does not pump through their body, how does blood flow to those areas? And if their heart does beat and they have blood, then they ain't dead! And those other stories where Vampires are in fact bloodless yet can still have sex? How do they manage that! But the story itself is fun I guess, though I have to be in the mood for stuff like this.

That's what I liked about Anne Rice, her story was logical in that sense. They certainly couldn't procreate, they were dead.

The tv series is well done, I won't deny that, but probably not really my thing.

I LOVE vampire/werewolf books. The thing I love about the Trueblood books (Sookie Stackhouse) is that in addition to being a "supernatural" Sookie is so normal. Anyone who's ever done restaurant work can visualize her work routine EXACTLY. So you have this character who's having a wild, passionate relationship with a vampire and then a little while later is worrying because one of the beer kegs at the restaurant is close to empty and pumping out too much foam. It forces the supernatural stuff into the real world.

Here's the beginning of the next Sookie novel Charlaine Harris has in the works, "Dead and Gone":

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Caucasian vampires should never wear white,” the television announcer intoned. “We’ve been secretly filming Devon Dawn, who’s been a vampire only for a decade, as she gets dressed for a night on the town. Look at that outfit! It’s all wrong for her!”

“What was she thinking?” said an acidic female voice. “Talk about stuck in the nineties! Look at that blouse, if that’s what you call it. Her skin just cries out for contrasting color, and what is she putting on? Ivory! It makes her skin look like a Hefty bag.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's just... classic. Slightly like Buffy the Vampire Slayer with reality and the supernatural mixed so completely together. It's also funny like Buffy. Charlaine Harris has a great website at http://www.charlaineharris.com .

Season 2 of Trueblood is supposed to be based on (figures) book 2 of the series, which is "Living Dead in Dallas". In the books Sookie has a series of relationships, kind of like a regular person dating. I've heard that HBO is going to change things so that Sookie and Bill are a stable couple. Has anyone else heard this? It's hard to picture a version of "Dead in Dallas" with that big of a change.

Oh I hope they don’t make Bill and Sookie a stable couple. That would pretty much un-do the entire series of books. In my opinion, the appeal of Sookie is that she has these tumultuous relationships with several different "men". The tension she has with Eric, and Then, Alcide, then Quinn. They can’t continue to stay true to the books if they keep Bill and Sookie together.

In the end I hope Bill and Sookie get together, but Charlaine Harris has yet to make that happen. I wonder if this series will change the direction of her next book?

I am really looking forward to the 2nd season.

Edited by Sho_Sho

I watched the whole series on tvshack.net but I think it's been taken down already.

Absolutely loved it!!!! I went out and bought the first book after finishing the first seasonBut Sho Sho, I don't agree it almost 100% like the book. Sookie's brother and lafayette weren't even main characters in the the book. Also, Tara and the maenad weren't even introduced until the second book. There was no mention on how vampire blood can be an addicting drug (least I don't think, can't remember) so that whole segment of sookie's brother and his new girlfriend didn't even happened in the book. No mention of Bubba in the tv series.

Sorry I'm not trying to pick apart the tv series, but it was very different from the book. I just can't believe they could stretch 12 episodes to cover just one book!!! that's amazing. The tv series still rocked regardless. I'm going to buy my own copy on Amazon soon. I don't know how many sookie stackhouse books exist, but isn't it around 7 novels? wow.... i hope there's seven seasons of true blood.

I just finished book 3, now I need to find book 4!

You’re right, there are some differences, I guess I meant that the story line is pretty much the same, buy you’re right..Lafayette, and Tara aren’t even main characters, and the vampire blood that Jason takes doesn’t seem to have the same effect on Sookie when she takes it from Bill, so it seems like there are some contradictions when it comes to the blood. I guess we can only wait and see what they are going to do next.

We will see this Sunday. :)

We will see this Sunday. :)

Thanks, I was just going to ask when the new season starts.

It is a bunch of Vampire wanna be Hillbilly s!!!

****CAUTION SPOILER ALERT****

Did any of you catch the 1st episode of the 2nd season last night? If so what did you think?

I was happy to see that Lafayette wasn’t the one who was found dead. It was pretty good, and the last scene between Sookie and Bill was hot, well except the blood part. Yuck!

Edited by Sho_Sho

Did any of you catch the 1st episode of the 2nd season last night? If so what did you think?

I was happy to see that Lafayette wasn’t the one who was found dead. It was pretty good, and the last scene between Sookie and Bill was hot, well except the blood part. Yuck!

Lot's of good things. I hope they make Sookie a little less whiny. Seemed like she was on the verge of tears for the entire episode.

Had the same over-the-top qualities that I enjoyed in the last season.

Lot's of good things. I hope they make Sookie a little less whiny. Seemed like she was on the verge of tears for the entire episode.

Had the same over-the-top qualities that I enjoyed in the last season.

I agree, Sookie did seem a little whiny. I thought she got a little too p***y about Bill not telling her about Jessica. It wasn’t that huge of a deal, he HAD to do it because he saved her life, snd all she wanted to do is be sassy about it.

Hopefully Lafayette will "turn".

looks as if he wants to according to scenes from next week...i am glad he is still on the show...the ending this week was was nasty eeks...

looks as if he wants to according to scenes from next week...i am glad he is still on the show...the ending this week was was nasty eeks...

I know I am soooo excited about that, I hope thats what they do. He's gonna make a great Vampire! He is so sassy, I love it! I hope he puts on some purple eye shadow before he turns so he can continue to look like his fabulous self ! LOL

I didn’t recognize him until he talked, when they 1st shown him in the basement chained up, he looked so different. I wonder if he’s strait in real life?

He has turned into my favorite character I think!

• 4 weeks later...

So those of you who are watching, what do you think of the new season so far? I am addicted!

**spoilers if you haven't seen the show before**

I am totally addicted to this show.

I used to play Vampire: The Masquerade, a White Wolf live action role playing game. This vampire universe reminds me SO much of that game, with the seneschals, the sheriffs, the progeny, almost everything is the same. It was a very political game, and I love the vampire politics in this show. It reminds me so much of the Camarilla and Sabbat, almost like the two have been combined. I wonder if there's a group of rogue vampires, similar to the Sabbat? I haven't read the books, so I wouldn't know.

So far the second season is great! They are really doing a wonderful job with the pace of the show. It's very interesting what's happening to Jason. Those Newlins are blowing my mind. And I can't wait to find out more about this woman tormenting Sam. Is she a demon? She sure seems like one. I just love the universe, with all the different supernatural powers going around, all the different species of supernaturals. It's almost exactly like the White Wolf universe. I wonder if they ripped off the idea from the Stackhouse books.

I won't say anything about this last episode because I'm not sure if you saw it yet. WOW was it good! Lots of unanswered questions now.

Michelle seems to be some sort of horned demon/god. Here is a short desciption:

The Horned God is associated with woods, wild animals, and hunting. He is often also associated with sexuality or male virility. As a symbol of sexuality, the Horned God represents one of the most elemental forces in Nature, and is therefore complementary to female fertility deities known collectively as the Great Mother.

Another name for the Horned God is The Hunter. He is a symbol not only of the giving of life, but the taking of life too, in what is seen as a great and eternal cycle of birth, death, and rebirth.

source

I also see the demon (Michelle's) effect on the normal people with regards to the seven deadly sins: "Lust", "Gluttony", "Greed", "Sloth", "Wrath", "Envy", and "Pride".

Has anyone else noticed that? Think of the part y when their eyes all turn black? What do they do? Some are sexual, some are pigging out on the food, some are punching others and so forth...

source

I also see the demon (Michelle's) effect on the normal people with regards to the seven deadly sins: "Lust", "Gluttony", "Greed", "Sloth", "Wrath", "Envy", and "Pride".

I think that Michelle is based on a Charlene Harris character that was described as a "maenad" (at least, that's what many True Blood addicts called her during the break between season 1 and season 2).. These were female beings that worshiped Dionysius, the god of wine. The character in the TV series is way more developed than the maenad. Also maenads didn't transform into that horned creature with the claws.

As is always the case with TV shows I like, I wish that each True Blood season was twice as long and got way more psychological.

When Lafayette jumped into the background, doing his dance... Ahhh man, I just about lost it. Him and Eric should just get their own show.

When Lafayette jumped into the background, doing his dance... Ahhh man, I just about lost it. Him and Eric should just get their own show.

Outstanding characters and the casting is superb, imo! Love, love, love Lafayette!!

I think that Michelle is based on a Charlene Harris character that was described as a "maenad" (at least, that's what many True Blood addicts called her during the break between season 1 and season 2).. These were female beings that worshiped Dionysius, the god of wine. The character in the TV series is way more developed than the maenad. Also maenads didn't transform into that horned creature with the claws.

As is always the case with TV shows I like, I wish that each True Blood season was twice as long and got way more psychological.

Oh cool- Thanks for that :tu:

Oh I loooooooooooooooooove Lafayette umm was he humping the furniture?

When Jessica was practicing her glamouring on the Limo driver and she made him yell “Becky is a stuck up **** who let Jake finger her in a church" I was rolling.

I’m wondering if the FOTS are going to capture Sookie next week and then Jason is going to be made to try and kill her and the vampire? In the Book the vampire kills himself by meeting the sun. I am betting they are going to tie in Jason and Sookie together somehow making Jason chose between the church or his sister.

But then again who knows, this show is so unpredictable and that’s what I love about it!

I have been reading the Sookie Stackhouse book series for years now, and literally just found out that the new show on HBO True Blood is based off the books. I have really never been into vampires and werewolf books, but a friend got me hooked on this series.

Has anyone else read any of these books? If so, have you seen the HBO series True Blood?

I was thinking about buying the boxed set, I don’t have HBO, but would like to watch to see if it’s any good. I love the books, and I'm hoping that the show has stayed true to the books.

Anyone who is familiar with these books, and has seen the show, do you think it’s worth buying the box set to watch or should I just save my money? Also do you know when the next season will start again? If I do get the box set and like it I might get HBO while the series is on.

I am kind of worried that putting a face to the characters, based off the T.V show may ruin reading the books for me. I have already built an image in my head over the years of reading and I’m afraid I might be disappointed in the show.

I have read the books also and believe me buy the series alan ball did a bang up job on it !! The series is sooo funny and awesome at the same time following the books but adding his flair also !! Its a must buy !!! A True Blood fan til the end!!!

• 2 weeks later...

source

Has anyone else noticed that? Think of the part y when their eyes all turn black? What do they do? Some are sexual, some are pigging out on the food, some are punching others and so forth...

WAS I RIGHTTTTTTTTTTT??????????????????

I recorded last nights show- gonna watch it again... Poor Jason :(

I am utterly addicted :)

WAS I RIGHTTTTTTTTTTT??????????????????

I recorded last nights show- gonna watch it again... Poor Jason :(

I am utterly addicted :)

You were right!!!!

I'm addicted too. I live for Sunday's lol. Jason cant die, he is too much a part of the series and the books.

When Jessica was practicing her glamouring on the Limo driver and she made him yell “Becky is a stuck up **** who let Jake finger her in a church" I was rolling.

I’m wondering if the FOTS are going to capture Sookie next week and then Jason is going to be made to try and kill her and the vampire? In the Book the vampire kills himself by meeting the sun. I am betting they are going to tie in Jason and Sookie together somehow making Jason chose between the church or his sister.

But then again who knows, this show is so unpredictable and that’s what I love about it!

Jessicas hillarious she is my favourite...I'm in Australia and watch it online so I am now waiting for Episode 8 season 2 (hanging for it)

I enjoy the show but at times they seem to go to far with it

I think thats the aspect that makes so addictive and watchable.