Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

AFL Player Racially Abused

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:13 AM

View PostDKO, on 31 May 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

The media has made a bigger deal out of this than it is. They have turned it into a race issue. Like others have said, I would assume ape would refer to a big dumb oaf, nothing racial.

The media will often do this. However, in this case, it was already a race issue before it was reported. The player appeared to perceive it as racial, and it appears that the clubs did too. I can't imagine that they would have apologised if it had just been a general insult that was hurled.

I understand the idea that calling someone an "ape" could be referring to them as an intellectually-challenged primate. But when it's said to a aborigine (or African, etc...) it carries clear racial connotations. The 'offender' being 13 years old is some basis for mitigation. Not sure what Eddie McGuire's excuse could be. After dealing with the situation well, he self-destructed spectacularly.

Nobody's got a big enough hand for a face-palm of that magnitude.

#17    shrooma

shrooma

Needs an exorcist, not a shrink....

• 3,290 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:29 AM

obviously it doesn't have the same connotations down under as it does up here. it used to be a big problem in football, fans making monkey sounds every time a black player got the ball n'stuff, waving inflatable bananas and going ook ook when they scored.
in britain if you call a black man an ape, you'd better either be wearing a stab vest, or be able to run very, very fast, coz you'd find yourself in a world of s**t real quick!

"The 'great' British public, they don't understand- 'why should there be riots in this 'civilised' land?'
'why is this country being brought to its knees?'
because ignorance, is the British disease."

#18    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,830 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:59 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 01 June 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

The media will often do this. However, in this case, it was already a race issue before it was reported. The player appeared to perceive it as racial, and it appears that the clubs did too. I can't imagine that they would have apologised if it had just been a general insult that was hurled.

I understand the idea that calling someone an "ape" could be referring to them as an intellectually-challenged primate. But when it's said to a aborigine (or African, etc...) it carries clear racial connotations. The 'offender' being 13 years old is some basis for mitigation. Not sure what Eddie McGuire's excuse could be. After dealing with the situation well, he self-destructed spectacularly.

Nobody's got a big enough hand for a face-palm of that magnitude.

Right, I didn't realise he took as a racial comment.

I understand in other countries ape is used as a racial slur against black people, but here I've always heard it describing a big dumb guy. I would consider Barry Hall to be the biggest ape of AFL haha.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#19    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:09 AM

View PostDKO, on 01 June 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

I understand in other countries ape is used as a racial slur against black people, but here I've always heard it describing a big dumb guy. I would consider Barry Hall to be the biggest ape of AFL haha.

As was posted earlier by Shrooma, there was a long standing problem of black footballers in England being targeted with monkey noises and having bananas thrown at them. I probably take these incidents as my point of reference. It's interesting that the Aussies on this board don't automatically equate the two. But you probably haven't experienced that kind of entrenched racism that blighted football (and still does on occasions).

#20    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,703 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

View PostDKO, on 01 June 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

The thug lives around where I am. See him at my gym a lot and have seen him at the local bar and officeworks. The thing I like about some of our people in this country is that we don't go crazy when someone famous is around.

#21    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,703 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostArbenol68, on 01 June 2013 - 05:09 AM, said:

As was posted earlier by Shrooma, there was a long standing problem of black footballers in England being targeted with monkey noises and having bananas thrown at them. I probably take these incidents as my point of reference. It's interesting that the Aussies on this board don't automatically equate the two. But you probably haven't experienced that kind of entrenched racism that blighted football (and still does on occasions).

We don't experience stuff on that level here. Yet we are often posed as some very racist country.

I live in Victoria. To see an aboriginal is a rarity here. I haven't observed any real racism towards aborigines or racism revolving around such myself here. I've just seen it on YouTube.

#22    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:13 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 01 June 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

We don't experience stuff on that level here. Yet we are often posed as some very racist country.

I think it must be a hang over from the 'whites only' immigration policy and the treatment of the indigenous people. It's a stereotype, and like all stereotypes it doesn't reflect the reality.

#23    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,642 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 01 June 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

It's because some of the **** we say here that's accepted is totally racist elsewhere (case in point - we're happy to say "ahh the P.a.k.i.s are playing the Poms" and think nothing of it, it's a shorthand for Pakistani and English, but the former is a dire insult in Britain).

#24    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 02 June 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

It's because some of the **** we say here that's accepted is totally racist elsewhere (case in point - we're happy to say "ahh the P.a.k.i.s are playing the Poms" and think nothing of it, it's a shorthand for Pakistani and English, but the former is a dire insult in Britain).

That is so true. Any Brit would be astonished at the terms Aussies and Kiwis use. It took me ages to get used to it.

#25    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,187 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

View Postshrooma, on 01 June 2013 - 02:29 AM, said:

obviously it doesn't have the same connotations down under as it does up here. it used to be a big problem in football, fans making monkey sounds every time a black player got the ball n'stuff, waving inflatable bananas and going ook ook when they scored.
in britain if you call a black man an ape, you'd better either be wearing a stab vest, or be able to run very, very fast, coz you'd find yourself in a world of s**t real quick!

Cheers mate, I honestly had no idea, never heard this. Perhaps he heard it on the world stage and took it to heart, but I have never seen the words related like that here.

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 02 June 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

Indeed, I did not know that was a racial term, I too always thought it was just a shortened term.

Learn something new all the time huh!

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#26    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Thats just because she's your average run of the mill mole from Posh Australia. She puts up with nothing but racial profiling, whether it be asian, muslam, wog, aboriginal or white 24/7. He still embarrassed her infront of the entire crowd. Pretty childish on the footballers behalf. It's not right but the countries stance on racism is a stupid cluster****. It's a very two way street, here's the perfect example for the average Australian for just about everyone I have ever met or known; (Probally to the point if they were a different race, even aboriginal you could just change the slur)

I grew up being called a white c**t, white captian cook mother****er, white dog. This is being a normal average citizen. I could stand in town and refuse to give a ciggerette to someone, get called a white c**t, gang bashed and left to die. So Australia is pretty ****ed on the whole race issue, it's ok to silence one party but the other 7 race groups are just as noisy, just look at the muslim religion its pretty much a self congregating race even to the point of racial abuse. The sydney cronulla riots started because of an islamic gang bashing an Australian Lifeguard (older adult as well mind you). Just two years ago the entire country had to apologise for upper class british moving to an already egyption settled indonesean trading land (don't even get me started on the evidance for that one). In recent years we had a flag burning on national tv while being called white c**ts, media played this for weeks and the flag burning is still used now without audio. I'm no racist by no means whatsoever I have just become tolerant to bullsh*t. As soon as people realise that all of our blood is red and that is what is most important, you'll see stupid kids blurping crap they do not mean, professionals slipping on radio, public racist outcrys. It's the entire world that is like this, I bet if you went to any sports game you would find one hick throwing a racist slur if not loudly sevenfold muttered.

The shame on this news story in particular is that a media and sports official has said something stupid on the radio now the media has overlooked this issue and turned it into media controversy and they will suck the ar$e out of this because Australia has next to no controversy people give three sh*ts about.

I'm sorry for the rant, but I deal with this every single day of my life. It's always the one sided argument thats it.

Edited by chopmo, 03 June 2013 - 08:39 AM.

why is everyone so &^%$ing concerned with "the end"...
new beginnings is what you should be concerned about...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users