Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

THE BEARD THREAD

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    gabe

gabe

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

Following the recent topic I made about mutton chops, I feel all sorts of beardery deserves it's own thread where we can discuss and share tips, so without further ado...

BTW, you don't have to read all this **** if you don't want to, just say what you want about beards.

1 WELCOME TO THE BEARD THREAD!!!!
Posted Image
The nature of the beard contributes in an incredible degree to distinguish the maturity of bodies, or to distinguish the sex, or to contribute to the beauty of manliness and strength." Lactantius (c. 304-314, W), 7.288

1.1 what's this?
Beards are cool. They have a long history of cultural significance. Often viewed as a sign of wisdom and virility, it is an unmistakable symbol of manliness

1.2 Why grow a beard?
Beards can be sexy, intimidating and can hide weak facial structure. If you live up north, it insulates your face making you warmer. Depending on your culture it shows status or liberation. Beards are another way to personalize your looks, like hair and clothes are.

1.2 Why do we have beards?
Men have beards due to sexual selection, but why it became a secondary sex characteristic is unknown. It's theorized that facial hair showed high testosterone and therefor fertility. Androgenic hair even has it's name from a class of male hormones called androgen, which testosterone is a part of.

1.3 I can't grow a beard. Does that mean I'm not manly?
Nope. Beards didn't evolve in all cultures, therefor genes have a lot to say about whether you can grow a beard or not, and is not necessarily an indication of abnormal hormone levels. Some get them late in life, some not at all.

Beard growth usually starts at the sides of the upper lip, then forms a mustache. Next to appear is sideburns which eventually extends to the bottom of the lip, until it finally covers your entire face.

2 beard styles
Posted Image

Above is an extended beard chart showing of different styles. Styles that are still considered fashionable in the west include the goatee, Van Dyck, chin curtain, and the short boxed style.

3 Shaving: The lost art
Posted Image]
"Shaving was a custom of the Macedonian military, taken over by Hellenic and Roman society. From then on the beard becomes a philosophical status symbol, a sign of non-conformism." - Peter Sloterdijk

Shaving has become somewhat of a lost art. Today disposable safety razors has turned shaving into a chore, instead of the fun relaxing activity it should be.

You've no doubt dealt with dull razors, burns and all that follows, but it doesn't have to be like that. What you are about to read may surprise you.

If you own a gillette catridge razor, you've been ripped of. That's right. The Gillete catridge razors are nowhere near the quality of the double-edged razors your granddad used. And if you think you can't afford a high quality razor, it may actually SAVE YOU MONEY IN THE LONG RUN. Here is a comparison between a Gillette M3Power Nitro Razor, and Merkur HD Long Handle Barber Pole 38C razor:

Posted Image

3.1 Shaving with a DE razor

3.1.1 How is it different from a cartridge razor?
This section is very important as it contains safety tips
With a cartridge razor, you always shave against the grain, but with a DE razor you can shave any direction you want. You also have to shave at an angle as the head of a DE isn't flexible, but it's quickly learned.. And most importantly DO NOT PUSH IT, but hold it gently against your face, you'll be surprised how smooth it works. It also requires skin to be somewhat firm and, coupled with the lack of flexibility, makes it somewhat difficult to shave your balls with.

3.1.2 What you need to get started

You need four things
  • a DE razor
  • A badger brush
  • shaving soap
  • Stand for the badger brush and razor

for A razor. I recommend the Merkur 38C, because it has a long handle and good grip. For shaving soap, I love Col. Conk. It feels so good against the skin. For brush, I guess any badger brush would do, if it's above your budget, you can try the omega/target proraso boar brush, which is great, but beware that most other boar brushes don't work as good as badger brushes. Stands... Obviously something that fits.

3.1.3 How to shave

The best time to shave is after a shower, be sure to keep your face wet with warm water. Wet the brush with warm water as well, not scolding, but warm enough to 'feel it', now use the brush to scrub the shaving soap a few times. lather it in your hands or in a bowl until it becomes creamy.brush it gently on your face. Take the DE razor at an angle (will take a little experimenting perhaps) and drag GENTLY, it will almost go automatically. and that's the basic gist of it. When done, hang the brush on a stand so the water doesn't go down to the glue and shorten it's lifespan.

Additional info:

Mantic59 has a great series that should answer any questions you have.

here is a basic tutorial

more will be added later.... hopefully

Damn, does that cover everything? Phew, I sure hope SOMEONE replies, so I didn't waste the time it took to write all that. Please add your comments and opinions on beards

Edited by gabe, 12 October 2009 - 07:39 PM.

#2    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,258 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:03 AM

I'm not normally a fan of facial hair on men in general... however, I did date one guy that did have a weak chin in general... he looked great with a goatee because it gave him some chin.

My current bf tends to like to be clean shaven, however, when we were younger, he did have the beard that he kept fairly short... I liked it, I think it suited him, but since he does some modeling, his agency tend to like him clean shaven (specially since his beard has a bit of grey in it)... including the chest. LOL.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#3    gabe

gabe

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

a beard with a bit of gray in it looks very mature. I think a full beard with mixed gray gives a "fatherly" look, you know? Like a kind and friendly old man who always gives good advice ^_^

I want a really thick beard when I grow old, but now it doesn't get too long, so no matter how long it grows it always looks kind of trimmed

#4    kenshinx

kenshinx

Poltergeist

• 3,045 posts

• oy' this guy

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

i wish a have beard like wayne from static x  :hmm:

I Like Cats

#5    Rob Awesome

Rob Awesome

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• If we don't have an apocolypse soon I'll have to find work

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

Sad face hair story

I had some pretty sick Mutton-Chops a few years back.  (dressed as Wolverine for Halloween).  By Christmas I had a string of tiny christmas lights in it,  everyone thought it was awesome but some *** at work didn't like it.  Feeling a little embarrased I got rid of the lights and the chops, and they've never returned. :(

The "mean to"s make an unhappy one

#6    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,299 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:49 AM

I like a nice trimmed beard, not too rough.  Clean shaven is nice too.
No ZZ Top beards please.  

You just have to clean it after you eat a meal.  No saving snacks for later.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#7    momentarylapseofreason

momentarylapseofreason

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,132 posts

• Warning: This member may contain traces of Nut

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:21 AM

Most women do not like full beards. I've hardly ever met a woman that likes them.

It's disgusting when men get food and other nasties stuck in their beards.Beards can often be smelly and harbor germs. It's also like a mask. I prefer smooth not abrasive and i don't care for hairy dental floss or the feeling of making out with a chimp. It's like pubic hair on their faces.

I would only suggest a full beard if a man has an ugly or weak chin & big buck teeth. I also hate how mustaches look. Maybe because my father (& grandfathers) was always clean shaven. I'm irritated by/when handsome men partially hide their faces

But if it gives him pleasure (or her), go for the grow

On the other hand I find Goaties can look good/interesting/attractive. Strange.....

Edited by momentarylapseofreason, 15 October 2009 - 09:30 AM.

If religion contained any truth, it could be ridiculed, insulted, even defiled without being diminished in any way. Its truth would shine through undimmed, unblemished, shaming those who abused it into silence. But that's not how things are. Religion is prickly, it's intolerant, it's ultra-defensive precisely because it's brittle and fragile.- Pat Condell

#8    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:13 AM

Some men look dead sexy with goaties...SERIOUSLY SEXY

Some men could do with a goatie LOL

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#9    She-ra

She-ra

~♥ Princess Of Power ♥~

• 10,859 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:31 AM

I think a neaty trimmed Van Dyke looks really nice on a guy. That or clean shaven. I don't like the Grizzly Adams look :no:

Posted Image

#10    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,496 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:37 AM

Beards may look good but are not ideal for smooching.

#11    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:57 AM

View PostShe-ra, on 15 October 2009 - 11:31 AM, said:

I don't like the Grizzly Adams look Posted Image

I do...I don't know whyh, forthe love of nanny goats I don't know why..I just do lol..

No wait I know why, because I am weird like that lol

#12    Lady Amethyst

Lady Amethyst

Psychic Spy

• 1,434 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

Am I the only woman on UM that likes full beards on men? It isn't nasty. It's....  :unsure2: I just won't go into details! lol

Vikings had beards.

Posted Image

#13    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:33 PM

View PostLady Amethyst, on 15 October 2009 - 12:24 PM, said:

Am I the only woman on UM that likes full beards on men? It isn't nasty. It's....  :unsure2: I just won't go into details! lol

Vikings had beards.

You'd like it here then; I'm in the engineering department and there are many, many bearded men.  Must be an engineering thing.

#14    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:48 PM

View PostLady Amethyst, on 15 October 2009 - 12:24 PM, said:

Am I the only woman on UM that likes full beards on men? It isn't nasty. It's....  Posted Image I just won't go into details! lol

I'll bet Santa was like some pin up guy for you then?  lolPosted Image ...Moses your idol  LOL

#15    Kaikou

Kaikou

The Akuma Plant

• 1,733 posts

• What If you could look right through the cracks....

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

View Postkenshinx, on 14 October 2009 - 11:36 AM, said:

i wish a have beard like wayne from static x  :hmm:

Lol, I tried that once.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users