Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

IQ linked to levels of happiness

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

Their study of 6,870 people showed low intelligence was often linked with lower income and poor mental health, which contributed to unhappiness.
The researchers are calling for more help and support to be targeted at people with lower IQs.
Their findings were published in the journal Psychological Medicine.
The researchers, at University College London, analysed data from the Adult Psychiatric Morbity Survey in England.
One of the questions was: "Taking all things together, how would you say you were these days - very happy, fairly happy or not too happy?" People's verbal IQ was also assessed.
The highest proportion saying they were "very happy" was found in people with an IQ between 120 and 129 - 43% said they were very happy.
However, the highest proportion saying "not too happy" - 12% - was found in people with an IQ between 70 and 79.
Dr Angela Hassiotis said: "People in the lower end of the normal spectrum are more likely to consider themselves not happy."
The study said lower intelligence was linked to lower income, worse health and needing help with daily life, such as shopping or housework - all of which contributed to unhappiness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-19659985

#2    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,527 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

i thought some of the most famous minds had depression, from there depression rose the need to try change the world for the better. the so called intelligent people who learn what the famous people realized and try to imitate them don't have the same drive, they only learn to impress others. dont know why im ranting, education is important but not more so than personal philisophy.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#3    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

Ever Learning, on 27 September 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

i thought some of the most famous minds had depression, from there depression rose the need to try change the world for the better. the so called intelligent people who learn what the famous people realized and try to imitate them don't have the same drive, they only learn to impress others. dont know why im ranting, education is important but not more so than personal philisophy.

I think the image of ignorance is bliss stemmed from that belief..
There have also been enough of happy intelligent ppl through time. The depressed ones were just more interesting to write about.

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,973 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

This would explain a lot.... :w00t:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#5    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 4,134 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

I do indeed believe this. My like where my IQ is. And I have elimated all things from my life that create stress and unhappiness, excepting the public school system (extremely, excessively stressful for a parent) with their random rules I was never there to help create.  I wm working on eliminating them and their random rules from my life as much as possible.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#6    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 4,134 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

I think depression causes a rebirth of the person. I also think that creativity flows from touching hte inside of one's self that is put into play with depression. I don't think depression should be repressed, but merely deeply respected for what it brings to our lives.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#7    karmakazi

karmakazi

Crazy Cat Lady

• 1,190 posts

• That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

It did say the very happy people were 120-129, which is well below genius.  The 130's are considered gifted.   But of course there are other factors, like the tendancy of not-as-intelligent kids to bully intelligent kids because they feel threatened by them.  That can lead to lifelong depression despite the intelligence.

There is also the idea that people with higher IQ tend to see things very differently from everyone else, and that can create a sense of isolation as well.

If I had something witty to say, my signature would be a lot funnier.

#8    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

Why don't they do another survey that would happen to have other elements that control happiness. Seems to me it was just a long winded way to say poor people are less happy then people with more money. Then they linked it to IQ(just verbally mind you).
It's a very misleading article.

#9    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

Jinxdom, on 27 September 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Why don't they do another survey that would happen to have other elements that control happiness. Seems to me it was just a long winded way to say poor people are less happy then people with more money. Then they linked it to IQ(just verbally mind you).
It's a very misleading article.

Why is showing a correlation between facts misleading to you?

They looked at different elements and noticed in most cases poor (mental) health and less money contributed to unhappiness.
Verbal IQ is an important factor in being succesful.  If not the most important factor. Being social, working yourself up. Not ostracizing yourself. Understanding what is being asked of you, putting abstract concepts into practice.

Definition: Verbal intelligence is the ability to analyze information and solve problems using language-based reasoning.
Verbal tasks may involve concepts such as: Verbal tasks involve skills such as:
  • The ability to listen to and recall spoken information;
  • Understanding the meaning of written or spoken information;
  • Solving language based problems of a literary, logical, or social type;
  • Understanding the relationships between language concepts and performing language analogies or comparisons; and
  • The ability to perform complex language-based analysis.

Dr Hassiotis said: "There is some evidence that long term intensive strategies directed at young children from socially deprived backgrounds can have a positive impact not only on IQ, but also on wellbeing and life opportunities.
"Such interventions are likely to be costly, but the initial costs may be offset by future benefits such as a reduced reliance on state benefits and better mental and physical health."

I don't think they wanted to make it look like poor ppl are less happy. It's just pointing out that ppl who need more help with things generally feel less happy then others.
It's an interesting study and if they could make those interventions work, which they suggest, it could have a lot of benefits.

Don't see how any of it is misleading.

Edited by Render, 28 September 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#10    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

Render, on 27 September 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

Low IQ = poor life prospects = negativity

They also suffer from low perception.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 28 September 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#11    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

This may all be valid and well thought out and all.. but I keep recalling that Nazis had 'scientific facts' to support their 'culling' of those that didn't 'measure up'...   Not that these researchers are proposing anything like that...  but it can be a slippery slope if not watched very carefully....

#12    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Taun, on 28 September 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

Not that these researchers are proposing anything like that

so lets not mention it

#13    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

I have a higher than average IQ according to Mensa, and yet I have suffered with mental disorders for most of my adult life, it's no respecter of persons. I used to work with young adults with learning difficulties and mental disabilities such as Down's Syndrome, and I have never met such a happy, content bunch of people.
However I do agree somewhat that if someone isn't very intelligent then they don't have as many life options. They may have to settle for a job rather than a career which fulfils them, which would result in less money and poorer living conditions. I have had to settle for jobs far below my capabilities due to mental illness, and was therefore very frustrated and unhappy. Thankfully my intellect eventually helped me get out of a rut, and get better jobs, which improved my mental wellbeing to a degree.

I think EQ (emotional intelligence quotient)  has alot to do with happiness, and a persons ability to deal with the world around them too.

#14    Overdueleaf

Overdueleaf

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

In my mind linked to does not mean it is the cause of! Of course there are correlations/links.... but i could find correlations/links to just about anything if i wanted to.

*edited because i really cant spell or type... i am sure there is still something wrong i just don't see it..lol

Edited by Overdueleaf, 28 September 2012 - 09:32 PM.

Posted Image

Your memory IS foggy. It's the pancakes

#15    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

then why am i not smart D: !!! im happy >.> sometimes

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users