Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Photos

branbran

I'm not sure if this has ever been posted on here, or everyone could have already seen these photos, but I'll give it a shot anyway...I thought these were very interesting, given some of the dates that some of these were taken....

What do you think?

user posted image

The Brown Lady

This portrait of "The Brown Lady" ghost is arguably the most famous and well-regarded ghost photograph ever taken. The ghost is thought to be that of Lady Dorothy Townshend, wife of Charles Townshend, 2nd Viscount of Raynham, residents of Raynham Hall in Norfolk, England in the early 1700s.

user posted image

Lord Combermere

This photograph of the Combermere Abbey library was taken in 1891 by Sybell Corbet. The figure of a man can faintly be seen sitting in the chair to the left. His head, collar and right arm on the armrest are clearly discernable. It is believed to be the ghost of Lord Combermere.

user posted image

Tulip Staircase Ghost

Rev. Ralph Hardy, a retired clergyman from White Rock, British Columbia, took this now-famous photograph in 1966. He intended merely to photograph the elegant spiral staircase (known as the "Tulip Staircase") in the Queen's House section of the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, England. Upon development, however, the photo revealed a shrouded figure climbing the stairs, seeming to hold the railing with both hands.

user posted image

The Back Seat Ghost

Mrs. Mabel Chinnery was visiting the grave of her mother one day in 1959. She had brought along her camera to take photographs of the gravesite. After snapping a few shots of her mother's gravestone, she took an impromptu photo of her husband, who was waiting alone in the car. At least the Chinnerys thought he was alone.

Information recieved from: http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa101402a.htm

Edited by branbran

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

• coldethyl

• ~Onyx~

• Robert1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That first one is a fake it was made by double exposure :tu:

i seriously doubt it would be a well regarded 1700's photo if it was a double exposure.

You cannot have a normal double exposure with most of the old cameras. They used single plates for each shot, and usually exposed over a long period of time. (some photographs were set up to expose over an hour) Some famous "ghost photos" were taken by having people walk in during a photography, stand for a second, and walk out. Making a semi-transparent figure appear.

Although I think the above pictures (at least a few) are the ones where it was unknown how they could have faked it due to extraneous circumstances.

The first pic I have seen in various books and it has always been a fav of mine. There is something so brilliantly elegant about the way it's captured on the staircase like that.

I've seen those, they are classics. I don't think any of them are real spirits, but I think they are classics. :tu:

I wonder why all ghost pics are always well centered, like the photographer were aware that the ghost would apear right there. I those photos, I think thats the case of the first one.

But, the Lord in the chair and that thing climbing the stairs are freak!

Well I would say most of time where ghostly apariations appear in photos the person wasn't aware of it at the time. They were taking a photo of something else. Or if they were aware of one at the time by feeling, sound or sight then it would make sense to point the camera directly where you sense it to be!

Edited by Anvil

Of all of those pics, the Tulip Staircase pic intrigues me the most. It's the context in which the pic was taken, as well as, the purpose for and person taking the pic. All of those variables lends to the authenticity of the image captured....now what that image is.....that's whole other can-o-worms to open.

All of these photos are classics. I find the photos of the Brown Lady of Raynham Hall

and The Tulip Staircase Ghost particularly fascinating. But if I'm not mistaken they've

all been proven to be fakes. :P

That Tulip Staircase pic has always fascinated me. I think it's 2 people in the picture and not just one.

What do you guys think?

That Tulip Staircase pic has always fascinated me. I think it's 2 people in the picture and not just one.

What do you guys think?

I agree it is quite fascinating. It's probably just one person.

If your interested in ghost photos, you should look at the paranormal pictures of

William Mumler on this website. Excellent examples of obvious fakes. But

amusing all the same. :D

What do you guys think?

Yeah, the right arm seems to be stretched out a little to far...seems like something is in front the obvious spirit, climbing up ahead of him. Does the spirit need to hold on to the rail to get up the stairs? Afraid of falling? Little to late for that isnt it? :P

I agree it is quite fascinating. It's probably just one person.

If your interested in ghost photos, you should look at the paranormal pictures of

William Mumler on this website. Excellent examples of obvious fakes. But

amusing all the same. :D

Thanks, I'll check that out. I've seen most ghost pics as I've been interested in the paranormal for a long while, but I'm willing to look at everything! :tu:

Yeah, the right arm seems to be stretched out a little to far...seems like something is in front the obvious spirit, climbing up ahead of him. Does the spirit need to hold on to the rail to get up the stairs? Afraid of falling? Little to late for that isnt it? :P

But if they don't know they're dead, they'd have to hang on!! :yes:

Thanks, I'll check that out. I've seen most ghost pics as I've been interested in the paranormal for a long while, but I'm willing to look at everything! :tu:

But if they don't know they're dead, they'd have to hang on!! :yes:

Although the hands are on the railing, they dont look like they are grasping the railing properly. :unsure:

Although the hands are on the railing, they dont look like they are grasping the railing properly. :unsure:

The image looks ok. It's even kind of creepy. One of the better fakes I've seen.

at first glance i thought the stairway ghost was two "things" or "entities" whatever you want to call it/them.

Love the pics. :tu:

I have seen some of them before but the staircase one is new to me, and yeah, it does look like theres more than one something there, dunno what tho.

If any of these are intentional 'fakes' then hats off to the people responsible for creating them since they had limited technology to work with to create the realistic effects shown here - they were pioneers and amazing artists in photography to which they deserve merit to in thier own right.

I think the white figure standing in the center of the stairs to be the most authentic-looking of the lot but im undecided to whether they are actual fakes or not.

its kinda hard to believe the first one not to be authentic for since its been circulating for so long and i have yet to see any pro photographer to even discrediit it till the pic came here lol.

I think they all have been classified as possible hoaxes at one time or another. They know that even with the technology back then they still could have faked pictures like these. It's just hard to prove it. :hmm:

I think they all have been classified as possible hoaxes at one time or another. They know that even with the technology back then they still could have faked pictures like these. It's just hard to prove it. :hmm:

When delving-into the realm of hoaxes and fakes the first thing that must be examined is the circumstances around which the pic was taken....now considering the amount of time that has expired since the pics have been taken....who's to say what the motivation was behind each pic for sure???? or even if the background of each pic is factual and correct????

But you are very correct when you say that it would be very hard to prove.

But you are very correct when you say that it would be very hard to prove.

Yes exactly and the spiritualist movement was beginning then as well so a lot was going on and people were very interested. A lot of money could be made from 'ghost' pictures.

You know, I don't get it. How did they take these pictures in the first place?

Do Ghosts allow themselves to have their pictures taken?

I think that these pictures a fakes.

Some of these pixs are faint, and unbelievable.