Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favorite music and what it means to you

Luxord

Hi there. I noticed people like to share their music on the forums sometimes. So why not create a post dedicated to your favorite music, what it means to you, and other things you can talk about such as the artists history or the meaning they put into the song? This topic is so that these specific types of discussions that are spread throughout the forums can be centralized into one place so that we can talk about and all share together. I will start. This may sound silly, but this is the song that started the extreme levels of excitement and bliss during the beginning of my first creative, yet psychotic episode. The beginning of it (the episode) was good, but everything else sucked, lol.. Anyways, when I listen to this song in the right mood, I feel very happy and excited. It is a specific kind though, that feels permeating throughout my body, mostly the stomach area. This song reminds of determination, effort, and valiancy.

I think it is a good song despite it coming from a video game. (for some reason it wont embed >.<. maybe it will fix itself.)

http://youtu.be/cK9C...XborCQi1m18CzS1

Edited by tomatoedrama
  • Like 1

My first love is classical music, it's the music I grew up listening to. My mother played our piano often, and that's the kind of music she played and listened to. When I got older, I liked Chuck Berry and Little Richard, then The Beatles came along and all the music of the '60s and '70s.

I listen to all kinds of music, except crappy music. Being a musician myself, I only listen to the good stuff, and I can tell the difference between the two.

What's called classical and romantic era music touches me most deeply. I could go on, but I'll leave it at that.

• Like 2

Have you ever heard of the of Beethoven's symphony # 7, second movement? I really like that. Apparently, it helps you let go of things. I have felt better listening to it more than just mood.

This is something I also really like. I feel really excited and have a profound sense and feeling of intelligence, letting go, reasoning, logic, and those things mixed with and working in combination with the heart. ( will it ever embed properly? sheesh) http://youtu.be/PjQe...Z9WiqQiCbol3hVf

Edited by tomatoedrama
  • Like 1

One of my favorite songs is Shiver from Anders Manga. I probably can't get away with posting the video here because it's just too weird. The song is no doubt about addiction, which I don't have any experience with, so it's hard to relate to. The only thing that comes close to it for me would be the way you feel when you are in a relationship and you're just so into the person that it borders on obsession. That's what I think of when I hear the song. I also just love the dark and buzzy synth. If I was in a movie and I had a theme intro like Darth Vader, it would be the start of Shiver.

• Like 1

Classical Irish Folk Music, also known as drinking music.

http://youtu.be/qdl-...s8k33dFChtmCJx5

And then there is punk, jazz, old rock, crust, HxC, SxE, power violence and a bunch of terms for stuff that young people once liked.

edit; what does it mean to me? oh yeah, it means whiskey runs in my blood. and it would be a shame to dishonor my ancestors my not refreshing my supply.

Edited by bubblykiss
  • Like 4

What's called classical and romantic era music touches me most deeply. I could go on, but I'll leave it at that.

Add the baroque era to that and it's the perfect three styles of music.

• Like 2

Punk, grunge, classic rock, metal and some new age stuff for meditation/ relaxation time are the norm for myself. What I listen to depends on my mood, what I'm doing and even the time of day so I try to keep the variety diverse according to my personal taste.

I was going to list some of the music I'm into but its getting late so I'll save it for future posts and discussions in this thread.

Great idea tomatoedrama. :tu:

• Like 2

The past three years have been pretty tough. Anyway, I never liked, I’m not even sure what to call the genre - loud, lots of yelling vocals, shredding guitar(?), anger- but last year I caught it on a local station my H must have pre-programmed on the car radio and I loved it! I tried to remember band names and song names but I forgot them. Never heard of any of them. Zero. I listen to old rock.

I sure wish I knew the lyrics too, because I wanted to SCREAM WITH THEM!!! It was great, instead of frustrating me more, it felt good, cathartic. Frozen Monkeys? Or Penguins or something rings a bell. Haha. Sorry I’m so helpful. Stress has blown my brain.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

Oh, man. I love anything from Jazz-Fusion, to Classical, to Progressive Rock, to Psychedelic Rock, to Grunge, to New-Prog, to Hip-Hop, to Acoustic / Folk, or subsets of Indie and Math Rock. It's hard to define what your taste is, but I listen to music that speaks out, that has attitude, and that is real, fresh, and uncompromising in the direction of its sound. :)

Example:

Edited by Drayno
  • Like 2

I was always 'electro' type before :D But, well, nothing lasts forever. It was rave, house, techno and drumm&bass, music which i listened and enjoyed. I think i've spent more time at techno party's then anywhere else, till my 25th birthday maybe - but it was time well spent. Nothing else would come to my playlists but things change, things happen and you change...

Today i enjoy rock, trip-hop, even Witney Huston ( :blush: ), Norah Jones, Baxter - but it is only techno which can clear my mind and actually relax me. Every other type of music does bring up unwanted memories ( not just bad memories, even some good ones which are unwanted ) while techno makes my mind free and focus me on future. At least that is how it is for me.

I never undestood why people who don't feel techno say that its a drug music, that it can't be heard without using drugs... I must say that only way to trully feel electro music is when you have your head clear. To be able to dance all night, well, that is other thing. Rave on! :santa:

This were golden times :

Punk, grunge, classic rock, metal and some new age stuff for meditation/ relaxation time are the norm for myself. What I listen to depends on my mood, what I'm doing and even the time of day so I try to keep the variety diverse according to my personal taste.

I was going to list some of the music I'm into but its getting late so I'll save it for future posts and discussions in this thread.

Great idea tomatoedrama. :tu:

Thanks. I wanted people to be able to discuss things more personal that has strong meaning and connections to them. I wanted people to think about how they feel towards music and how it affects them. Mission accompished. Also because it is a fun idea.
  • Like 1

The past three years have been pretty tough. Anyway, I never liked, I’m not even sure what to call the genre - loud, lots of yelling vocals, shredding guitar(?), anger- but last year I caught it on a local station my H must have pre-programmed on the car radio and I loved it! I tried to remember band names and song names but I forgot them. Never heard of any of them. Zero. I listen to old rock.

I sure wish I knew the lyrics too, because I wanted to SCREAM WITH THEM!!! It was great, instead of frustrating me more, it felt good, cathartic. Frozen Monkeys? Or Penguins or something rings a bell. Haha. Sorry I’m so helpful. Stress has blown my brain.

Arctic Monkeys. :)

• Like 1

Thanks! I'll look them up.

You're welcome. I'm a fan of them as well, good music. :)

You're welcome. I'm a fan of them as well, good music. :)

Hey, then can you help me? What are some of their more raucous tunes? Any suggestions? I've just been giving them a listen and so far they sound a bit mellow. Which is fine! but I thought what I heard was different. But maybe not, maybe their song wasn't one of the head banging songs I heard but I just liked it.

• Like 1

Hey, then can you help me? What are some of their more raucous tunes? Any suggestions? I've just been giving them a listen and so far they sound a bit mellow. Which is fine! but I thought what I heard was different. But maybe not, maybe their song wasn't one of the head banging songs I heard but I just liked it.

Type in "Korn" into youtube and listen to freak on a leash. I think you might like that kind of music.
  • Like 2

Rock / Alt-rock and Classical piano for the most part. Sometimes I love to listen to piano covers of my favourite rock songs too. It can be inspiring, since I haven't played much in the past few years. I just love the sound of it.

If it was on the radio, I'm going to guess it could have been "R U Mine?". Not really angry, but the guitar and drums are a bit heavier on that track. (I haven't heard the whole album, just basing that on the other recent radio singles)

You could try searching some songs from their album, "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" too. It's older, but better. ;)

Edited by sarah_444
  • Like 2

To be honest I don't really consider AM to be all that raucous but then again, I've been listening to bands like Slayer, Venom, Deicide and such for about thirty years so my version of raucus is probably a bit different from yours. ;)

I would just find some free time and explore AM to see what you like. I admit, some of their songs are a bit too slow paced for me but still very good.

A band from KY called Cage the Elephant can get pretty raucus, not sure if you've heard of them.

Cage The Elephant - Indy Kidz (Thank You, Happy B…:

Edited by StRoostifer
  • Like 1

Type in "Korn" into youtube and listen to freak on a leash. I think you might like that kind of music.

I don't know why, but when you mention Korn, Rage against the Machine comes to mind. ;)

You've all help remind me I did like audioslave some years ago. I'll check out all you've listed above. I could do with some more catharsis. :angry:

• Like 2

http://youtu.be/0XVYtkvpt2Q

I feel like I am hearing determination and bravery mixed with the rush of pushing through and fighting a mental and physical battle with your emotions to propel you forward. Also, its a sick beat.