Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Showdown bid to give UN control of Internet

Still Waters

It is expected to be the mother of all cyber diplomatic battles. When delegates gather in Dubai in December for an obscure UN agency meeting, fighting is expected to be intense over proposals to rewrite global telecom rules to effectively give the United Nations control over the Internet.

http://phys.org/news...n-internet.html

I wonder how this will help anything and why they want it or why I would.

Could people just leave this stuff alone? ...Please?

Apparently not.

• Like 1

It is expected to be the mother of all cyber diplomatic battles. When delegates gather in Dubai in December for an obscure UN agency meeting, fighting is expected to be intense over proposals to rewrite global telecom rules to effectively give the United Nations control over the Internet.

http://phys.org/news...n-internet.html

I dont want the Americans running my internet thanks.

They are totally intolerant to other ways of running a country except their own.

They are totally intolerant to other ways of running a country except their own.

You mean like censoring it? Darn that freedom speech thing. I dont want anyone controling the interweb besides us users. Keep the internet free.

• Like 1

Then build your own damned internet.
  • Like 2

How many International Laws are just waiting with baited breath to be imposed on the new 'UN' owned Internet?

• Like 1

IF the UN get their own way and get control over the internet, then I think, we may as well say goodbye to the internet as we know it...

• Like 1

Oh dear. Another little bit of freedom taken away. Now for some reason I can't see the article, but Ill hazzard a guess that they want control to stop "terrorists" in some form or other?

IF the UN get their own way and get control over the internet, then I think, we may as well say goodbye to the internet as we know it...

Will the 200+ nations all get an equal say and vote on how the internet is run?

Then build your own damned internet.

They did, at least the programming language that runs it.

Sorry man, since the internet's inventor Al Gore is American, you'll just have to suck it up. :D

Side note: I would like the internet to be free as well, I don't really see any problems with how it's already running.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

Oh dear. Another little bit of freedom taken away. Now for some reason I can't see the article, but Ill hazzard a guess that they want control to stop "terrorists" in some form or other?

Probably want to stop inflamatory speech against islam.

Will the 200+ nations all get an equal say and vote on how the internet is run?

Maybe, maybe not... time will tell...

What is wrong with the way the internet is run now ? (in my opinion - nothing)

Except that if the US Secretary of Commerce wants to shut it off the lights go out, and the rest of the world won't like that.

Except that if the US Secretary of Commerce wants to shut it off the lights go out, and the rest of the world won't like that.

Is that true? Did he tweet this Idea or perhaps post it up on facebook? If true that person needs to go.

Is that true? Did he tweet this Idea or perhaps post it up on facebook? If true that person needs to go.

what part of IF don't you understand?

what part of IF don't you understand?

ahem.... let me correct my statment then question..... Since true that person needs to go!!!

ahem.... let me correct my statment then question..... Since true that person needs to go!!!

Then whoever else is in charge of the US Department of Commerce can do the same, and that is what most countries don't want to put up with.

so are you saying that it would be in better hands to handover the net to the UN?

so are you saying that it would be in better hands to handover the net to the UN?

No, but then at least the function is not dependent on the whim of a single country, besides the little fact that there will be no general shutdown as the UN can never agree on anything.

• Like 1

Speaking from a free country, like we do, I agree. But for people from countries that live under repressive governments, maybe it might 'free it up' more.I don't know right now. I'll have to find out more about it before I'll give an opinion in favour/or not.

Edited to add 20 minutes later: Russia, China and a half dozen Arab states back this... That's not good.

It would only work, if it made the internet more open. This will end in a stalemate.

I don't know maybe we need a world wide plebicite, or maybe we can just let Switzerland decide.

Edited by Likely Guy