Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Ghost of little girl’ photographed

Still Waters

A tourist who visited a notorious haunted mansion in Ireland believes he may have photographed the ghost of a little girl.

Thomas Beavis, 21, from Lewisham, made the spine-tingling discovery as he flicked through his camera on the drive home from Loftus Hall in Wexford.

http://metro.co.uk/2...s-hall-4848380/

• Like 4

Awesome real looking image. I know nothing of cameras and faking photos so i'll see what develops from our resident pros on this one. Would be nice to be real though. :unsure2:

• Like 3

Seen my share of things like these ~ on 35mm negatives and studio silver plates it looks not so sharp ~ these days the details are breath taking ~ and implies hoaxes ~ such a shame ~

Looks like two normal ladies in the vestibule to me, looking out at all those pilgrims.

• Like 2

Looks like two normal ladies in the vestibule to me, looking out at all those pilgrims.

Or two female ghosts maybe. I'm not saying it as a given, but atleast I'm not the only one seeing two individuals that look kind of faded, grey, and transparent unlike the rest of the group. I'm not saying that they are both ghosts, yeah it could be the way the sun's light is hitting them, because they happen to be more in the shade maybe. My question is then, is it two ghosts caught by the camera, or no, he didn't and the second individual in the same shot proves it?

Now, that I took a couple more looks of the shot, the girl does seem to wear what would be the fashion of 1766. The second lady, who happens to be in the same shade of the girl looks dressed like today. Including with I think is glasses on her face. Could it be a ghost app. that went overboard?

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
  • Like 1

Maybe it is my monitor, my eyes, or artifacts from zooming but it looks like the pixels around the figure in the zoomed image are slightly different color in relation to nearby areas and the edge of this "aura" is distinct.

That entryway is glassed in, is it not? Looks like a simple reflection of the folks walking up the stairs to me especially given how the two "ghosts" are at different heights. And, no, I'm not talking about the lady in pink as clearly she couldn't be making that reflection.

Of course the fact that the images are so small makes it kind of hard to blow them up and figure out which guest is making the reflection.

• Like 1

Larger version of the entire photo (click to see full version):

* Removed due to copyright *

See the couple walking towards the entrance with him in red and her in blue? It's a reflection of her. She's just opposite where the reflection in the window appears and is facing the right direction. As Rafterman says, it can't be the lady in pink as reflections obviously don't work that way.

How does this kind of nonsense generate any sort of news story or debate or even doubt as to what it is?

edit: I'm having second thoughts. The glass should appear to be halfway between an object and it's reflection and she's too far away. Still, there's a whole crowd of people, and the details aren't very useful, but it's still obviously a reflection. The optimum conditions for reflections in windows are when one side of the glass is a brightly lit area and the other side is a dimly lit area (that's how "one-sided mirrors" generally work, e.g. a brightly lit interrogation room and a dimly lit viewing room with a highly reflective piece of glass between them). Daft to think it's a ghost either way.

• Like 6

See the couple walking towards the entrance with him in red and her in blue? It's a reflection of her. She's just opposite where the reflection in the window appears and is facing the right direction. As Rafterman says, it can't be the lady in pink as reflections obviously don't work that way.

How does this kind of nonsense generate any sort of news story or debate or even doubt as to what it is?

You nailed it.

• Like 1

I shuddered when I looked at that picture :(

A reflection of a woman in a window makes you shudder?
  • Like 4

I am noticing that the sun is hitting the two grey faded individuals in the same direction as everyone else. The sun's reflection is hitting everyone on their faces all in the same manner, which makes me think it's not a reflection thing. I'm not saying that means that the two grey figures are ghosts, but that I'm don't think it's a reflection.

I'm noticing some smudge marks in front of the two grey figures, almost like the smudge marks are on the window pane right in front of them. I don't know if that means anything.

I'm not feeling any creepy feelings from viewing the two grey figures. Could one be a reannactment player and another a tourist and both of them just happen to look through the window at the time of the shot?

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright

Or two female ghosts maybe. I'm not saying it as a given, but at least I'm not the only one seeing two individuals that look kind of faded, grey, and transparent unlike the rest of the group.

Well, a funny thing about window reflections is that they tend to be faded and washed out looking. They also tend to be transparent. That's kinda how glass reflections work.

So I agree with you, it certainly has all the characteristics of a reflection.

Now, that I took a couple more looks of the shot, the girl does seem to wear what would be the fashion of 1766. The second lady, who happens to be in the same shade of the girl looks dressed like today. Including with I think is glasses on her face. Could it be a ghost app. that went overboard?

The fashion of 1766? Utter nonsense. Excuse me for being up front with my opinion but it has to be said. There's absolutely no way you can determine that the woman is wearing clothing that matches the fashion of that particular period in the 18th century (did you even check or do you know what the fashion for girls was in 1766?). That could be sweatpants and a hoodie for all you can tell with the lack of detail available.
  • Like 1

There's an odd thing that infects a lot of people, here on UM and elsewhere. All it takes to excite it is to find a picture of a person reflected in a window, or of a vaguely bone shaped rock on Mars, or of a light fitting reflecting in an indoor window, etc.

A boring photo of a boring thing that we wouldn't think twice about otherwise. But slap a 'ghost' or 'UFO' or 'Martian statue' or whatever label on it and people will be attracted to it like flies on ****. Call it a ghost and people will think it's a ghost. Call it a UFO and people will think it's a UFO. Etc.

In the case of the OP, it's about the most boring and obvious photo of a reflection I've seen in my life, but the responses to this thread depress me. How many of the people responding here would give this photo the time of day if it wasn't posted in a paranormal website with the word "ghost" attached to the description?

• Like 3

Well, a funny thing about window reflections is that they tend to be faded and washed out looking. They also tend to be transparent. That's kinda how glass reflections work.

So I agree with you, it certainly has all the characteristics of a reflection.

I didn't mention that i thought they were reflections, and I have a hard time seeing how they could be. None of the people in front of the window seem to be in the position to be their reflections.
The fashion of 1766? Utter nonsense. Excuse me for being up front with my opinion but it has to be said. There's absolutely no way you can determine that the woman is wearing clothing that matches the fashion of that particular period in the 18th century (did you even check or do you know what the fashion for girls was in 1766?). That could be sweatpants and a hoodie for all you can tell with the lack of detail available.

I said seems to be, I didn't say for sure. And I have a love for various historic things, so I felt her dress seemed familiar to what I thought it was. I sure didn't think she was wearing up to date clothes like the other faded figure. I also thought maybe reannactment players too. I'm just making some observations. I'm not getting all excited like you think I am. Sheesh, calm down.
  • Like 1

I didn't mention that i thought they were reflections, and I have a hard time seeing how they could be. None of the people in front of the window seem to be in the position to be their reflections.

I can't identify for sure the person it's the reflection of, but when it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, do you need to hear it quack like a duck before calling it a duck?
I said seems to be, I didn't say for sure. And I have a love for various historic things, so I felt her dress seemed familiar to what I thought it was. I sure didn't think she was wearing up to date clothes like the other faded figure. I also thought maybe reannactment players too. I'm just making some observations. I'm not getting all excited like you think I am. Sheesh, calm down.

There's a common thread in "ghost" photos where some out of focus lack of detail blurry ghost is claimed to be wearing clothes of the same period as a story relating to the place where the photo was taken. Detail is never given as to how the person making the claim pinned down the period as the 1830s, 1920s, 1780s, etc. and the photo in question regularly lacks the necessary detail to tell if it's modern clothing or a toga from ancient Rome. There's simply no way to tell that the clothing worn by the woman in the reflection matches the fashion common in the 1760s yet people seem to make those declarations all the time. Why does it seem to you that the woman is wearing a dress matching the fashion of 1766?

If the story given was of an incident in 1662, 1908, 1822, etc. would you also think the dress matched the fashion of those times or are you identifying something specific to the period of 1766?

• Like 1

A reflection of a woman in a window makes you shudder?

Yeah it was scary. IS THAT what you think the picture was???

Yeah it was scary. IS THAT what you think the picture was???

Well, that's what it looks like. Why think it is something other than what it looks like?

Well, that's what it looks like. Why think it is something other than what it looks like?

Looking like something doesn't necessarily mean that's what it is.

In this case it's quite probably reflections of someone in the crowd, but it's not too obvious who as it doesn't match anyone visible in the picture. The nearest person is that female with her head turned facing in our direction, but the image in the window isn't a clear match to her. The window itself however could be curved which might show her off from a slightly different angle. That said they don't seem to be wearing the same clothes which indicates the reflection might not be hers....and that takes me back to where I started. So if it is a reflection of someone in the crowd, then who? and if we can't see that person for ourselves doesn't that make the rest an assumption? as there's no way we can be 100% sure such a person was there at the time.

• Like 2

Looking like something doesn't necessarily mean that's what it is.

No disagreement there. But when it looks like something why are people saying or suggesting it's something else? I'm not getting whatever leap of logic other people are apparently using to suggest that we're looking at the disembodied spirit of an 18th century girl who it is claimed died after an encounter with a demon.
and if we can't see that person for ourselves doesn't that make the rest an assumption?
As a general rule, it's best to start off assuming the mundane before considering the fantastical. If the story in the OP link is to be believed, then a good case must be made that it is the disembodied spirit of an 18th century girl who died after a claimed encounter with a demon. I'm not hearing that case at all. Just doubts as to whose reflection it could be.
as there's no way we can be 100% sure such a person was there at the time.

I can't be 100% sure of a lot of things. That in itself does not make any alternative offered up worthy of consideration.

Is the *best* case that can be made for the argument that this is (or might be) a ghost merely that people can't positively identify the person in the crowd whose reflection it might be?

Where's the beef?

• Like 1

No disagreement there. But when it looks like something why are people saying or suggesting it's something else?

Because they're seeing it as something else. Not everyone sees things in the same way, people do have different opinions about things and there's nothing wrong in that.

Is the *best* case that can be made for the argument that this is (or might be) a ghost merely that people can't positively identify the person in the crowd whose reflection it might be?

I don't know how that reflection came about, it could even be something to do with the camera, double exposure? kind of thing. I don't think that's been mentioned yet but I'm no expert so have probably got that all wrong anyway. I don't believe in ghosts and I've yet to be convinced, but that's me and I know lots of people do and I respect that.

• Like 4

I can't identify for sure the person it's the reflection of, but when it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, do you need to hear it quack like a duck before calling it a duck?

:blush: You said you weren't sure, but then you quote a saying to say you know for sure. Is that what you are saying? That doesn't make sense. I really don't think it's a reflection. All the people going into the building are not facing that window in the manner to make it their reflections. So, I do not know how you can get it being reflections from that.
There's a common thread in "ghost" photos where some out of focus lack of detail blurry ghost is claimed to be wearing clothes of the same period as a story relating to the place where the photo was taken. Detail is never given as to how the person making the claim pinned down the period as the 1830s, 1920s, 1780s, etc. and the photo in question regularly lacks the necessary detail to tell if it's modern clothing or a toga from ancient Rome. There's simply no way to tell that the clothing worn by the woman in the reflection matches the fashion common in the 1760s yet people seem to make those declarations all the time. Why does it seem to you that the woman is wearing a dress matching the fashion of 1766?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aNnTFc-n40M/UEUaRqoSW6I/AAAAAAABGHQ/84zE5kmNCZc/s1600/Jacob+Eichholtz+(American+Painter,+1776-1842)+Elizbeth+Hoofnagle+Markley+born+1794.jpg

I'm not ruling out that maybe just maybe, they are ghosts, but I have also mentioned that maybe they are from the inside looking out, hence they are kind of grey. And maybe just maybe they are reannactor, cause the first girl doesn't look like she is wearing anything from today, I believe I did mention that. But you seemed to que in on my thoughts on the dress of the period.

If the story given was of an incident in 1662, 1908, 1822, etc. would you also think the dress matched the fashion of those times or are you identifying something specific to the period of 1766?

Geesh, sorry I should have said 18th dress or something. Yeah, I know it's blurry, hence I am saying it looks to me like it is. I have a right to think what it looks like to me. I thought it was alright to put my observations and thoughts here, right?

Because they're seeing it as something else. Not everyone sees things in the same way, people do have different opinions about things and there's nothing wrong in that.

True, dat..

BTW, even if there was a match with clothing and hair of someone obvious in that shot, you still could not (and could *never*) be 100% sure... It's just a case of what's most likely..

I agree that it is difficult to align the 'reflection' with people in the queue, but there really isn't enough detail in that area to rule it out. But is it a reflection? Could it not be some people behind that glass? The lighting is certainly consistent with people outside who have turned roughly towards the window, but it is also possible that the figures are inside. And without access to the true original image, the possibility of fakery always exists.

The thing that gets me is that surely returning to that location and setting up a similar scene at the same time of day, similar weather, taken from the same angle and location would not exactly be a huge task, nor would it be difficult to see if it was possible to place some folks behind the glass and see what that looks like..:

As is usual I'll bet that won't happen, at least not from the photographer nor the media reporting it - because that would lessen the mileage they can get out of the ghost angle.

I don't know how that reflection came about, it could even be something to do with the camera, double exposure?

It's extremely difficult to get an 'accidental' double exposure out of a digital camera, unless it is of the type where the camera is shooting in low light and it takes an ambient light shot that is then added to by the flash firing. Obviously that doesn't apply here, and can be (99.9%) ruled out.. :D

I've got to say if I had taken this, I wouldn't have given those (reflections of) people a second thought. That's just what happens when there are windows.....

• Like 3