Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Help me identify this thing

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#31    Danr

Danr

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

I'd like to see these pictures: martinbkt@aol.com

Ya think life's a joke eh? Well, I ain't laughing, but I'd be happy to show you what funny is!

#32    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,080 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:36 PM

View Postebonycrow, on 26 August 2010 - 05:01 PM, said:

I'll post links to the pictures, but I really didn't want to post them because I don't know everyone's tolerance for looking at pictures of decaying animals. I know in my experience with topics like this, even if a link was posted, I'd inevitably click it and still make myself sick. These three aren't the worst, but I would still caution if you're iffy...

http://i38.tinypic.com/143mdy0.jpg

Forelegs: http://i33.tinypic.com/330zll2.jpg

Hindlegs: http://i34.tinypic.com/2rc63ns.jpg

I do have some better pictures of the hands and feet but they're considerably worse as far as decomposition goes.
Yeah those are acceptable enough to post up for everyone to see, i've updated the original post to include them.

#33    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

Alrighty, and thanks. :) Any idea from you?

Edited by ebonycrow, 26 August 2010 - 06:37 PM.

#34    wiredbadger

wiredbadger

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

crazy as it seems. i am leaning towards skunk. i know you expect the white back stripe. but there are other species. the most reason i figure this is the paws. they are padded and the nails are in such a way to designate a burrowing animal.
not fine and pointed as  a fox or most north American predator types would be.
the only real problem i am having is with the teeth. but, ironically i would expect similar teeth with a raccoon .
so i am narrowing it down to an adverse species of skunk. usually almost always, you can get a good clue with the teeth of an unidentified animal. being the 'tools' it uses for living.
good luck hope you find the answer.

Guess I am going to have to tell em , i ain't got no cerebellum. Now i have my phd, i am a teenage lobotomy.

#35    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,080 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

View Postebonycrow, on 26 August 2010 - 06:37 PM, said:

Any idea from you?
Sorry no, i've no idea what it is.

#36    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

• If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

I think it's just a mixed breed little dog, probably someones little Fi-Fi that got lost. Where do you live?

Credentials/Background<--This is a link!

It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry
http://chzgifs.files...chucknorris.gif

#37    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,065 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for the pics ebony... not too gross. But yeah, I for sure stand corrected on the mole notion now that I've looked at the pics.

#38    comelive

comelive

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

Looks like it might be a wolverine hybrid type animal.  I like it.  Do you mind sending me more pictures to comelive@aol.com?

Edited by comelive, 26 August 2010 - 07:21 PM.

The truth is out there.  We just need millions of dollars in equipment to find it laying underneath a rock.

#39    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

View Postwiredbadger, on 26 August 2010 - 06:55 PM, said:

crazy as it seems. i am leaning towards skunk. i know you expect the white back stripe. but there are other species. the most reason i figure this is the paws. they are padded and the nails are in such a way to designate a burrowing animal.
not fine and pointed as  a fox or most north American predator types would be.
the only real problem i am having is with the teeth. but, ironically i would expect similar teeth with a raccoon .
so i am narrowing it down to an adverse species of skunk. usually almost always, you can get a good clue with the teeth of an unidentified animal. being the 'tools' it uses for living.
good luck hope you find the answer.

We ruled out some form of skunk last night. It's face shape and ears are completely different than marbled/spotted skunks or the regular striped skunks that are common around here. But before I screwed up the skin over the face, it was fox-shaped. Its ears are excessively large, pointed, and heavily furred. Think, kit fox ears. The pictures don't do them justice by a long road, but they are very, very big ears. I'll post close-ups of the hands and feet when I get home so that you can see how they're shaped better.

Edit: Here's a little closer view on the hands and feet, http://i33.tinypic.com/2d55j6.jpg

With a lot of the teeth missing I can't really give you a good idea of what sort of feeding behavior it might've had. What I do know for sure though was it had three lower insciors and two small canines that were relatively the same size -- the canine teeth were smaaaaall. I would guess, from what teeth I did see, it was some type of insectivore.

@ eqgumby: South central Kentucky. I would wager a mixed breed dog as well but the paws aren't dog-like at all. They're more like hands, they have more joints and have five digits and no dew claw.

@ comelive: I'll send you more pictures when I get home, it's a pain sending them from the work computer. :) So I know when I get there what to send you, what are you looking to see better?

Edited by ebonycrow, 26 August 2010 - 07:38 PM.

#40    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

• If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:52 PM

View Postebonycrow, on 26 August 2010 - 07:37 PM, said:

We ruled out some form of skunk last night. It's face shape and ears are completely different than marbled/spotted skunks or the regular striped skunks that are common around here. But before I screwed up the skin over the face, it was fox-shaped. Its ears are excessively large, pointed, and heavily furred. Think, kit fox ears. The pictures don't do them justice by a long road, but they are very, very big ears. I'll post close-ups of the hands and feet when I get home so that you can see how they're shaped better.

Edit: Here's a little closer view on the hands and feet, http://i33.tinypic.com/2d55j6.jpg

With a lot of the teeth missing I can't really give you a good idea of what sort of feeding behavior it might've had. What I do know for sure though was it had three lower insciors and two small canines that were relatively the same size -- the canine teeth were smaaaaall. I would guess, from what teeth I did see, it was some type of insectivore.

@ eqgumby: South central Kentucky. I would wager a mixed breed dog as well but the paws aren't dog-like at all. They're more like hands, they have more joints and have five digits and no dew claw.

@ comelive: I'll send you more pictures when I get home, it's a pain sending them from the work computer. :) So I know when I get there what to send you, what are you looking to see better?
No dewclaw at all? Hmmm...
The paws sure do look raccon-like.

It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry

#41    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

http://www.keystonee...galleryid=37905

#42    Pandora7321

Pandora7321

Perpetual Late Bloomer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

• My name is Anastasia Beaverhausen. Anastasia as in the Romanovs. Beaverhausen as in........where the beaver live.

-Karen Walker, "Will & Grace"

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

The suspense is KILLING ME! The paws definitely look like a raccoon. But the animal itself looks nothing like one. I'm thinking it's not a new species or hybrid or any kind of crypto. I'm leaning toward an exotic pet that some idiot turned loose when they got bored with caring for it.

Again, the suspense is unbearable, won't someone in the know hurry up and enlighten us???

Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?
- Tool, Stinkfist

#43    Pandora7321

Pandora7321

Perpetual Late Bloomer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

• My name is Anastasia Beaverhausen. Anastasia as in the Romanovs. Beaverhausen as in........where the beaver live.

-Karen Walker, "Will & Grace"

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

View Posteqgumby, on 26 August 2010 - 08:10 PM, said:

Sorry, not seeing the resemblance....

I take that back. I guess it could be a black raccoon, who am I to say it isn't, not being and expert and all. It's just the pics of that thing are REALLY black. Not like the pics on that site.

Edited by Pandora7321, 26 August 2010 - 08:21 PM.

Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?
- Tool, Stinkfist

#44    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

View Posteqgumby, on 26 August 2010 - 08:10 PM, said:

No dew claw at all. They are very raccoon like, and even a black raccoon, the body and face is nothing like one. We used to have raccoons come over and steal the food I put out for the feral cats, and I got a good look at them every time. Just a glass door separated us, less than a foot. The ears are nearly twice the size as they're shown in the picture of the black raccoon. Like I said, think kit fox ears. I know the pictures don't show it very well, but they were tremendous. It was also solid black, no other color on it at all. Not even the slightest hint, and even being covered in grease from a vehicle, different shades would have still been visible on parts of the body.

(Edit, eventually I'll learn how to finish a sentence before I submit.)

Edited by ebonycrow, 26 August 2010 - 08:23 PM.

#45    Godric

Godric

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:24 PM

Could be a raccoon, but I'm searching the net and I can't find any pics that show one all black.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users