Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mayan Predictions

_hAiLO_

Hey, i'm gonna talk about the Mayan Predictions here and how accurate they were. The Mayan were an ancient native civilization in modern day South Mexico, Belize, and Nicarugua, somewhere in the Yucatan Peninsula. They were an awesome civilization that were very devoted to astrology.

user posted image(give you a sense of Maya grin2.gif )

They've built pyramids. Some of the pyramids have been known to be Mayan Calenders and have 365 steps. The Pyramids are postioned as exact so that the Maya were able to know precisly when the Winter Equinox would start and when it would end known as the Spring Equinox through the shadow of the pyramids, therefore marking the lonest/shortest day in the year.

user posted image

The Mayan year was more accurate and unique. Their calender consisted of a 260-day religous calender, twenty 30-day months with a seperate 5 days at the end. The precise calenders were based upon careful observation of the planets, sun, and moon. For example, the Mayan atronomers calculated that a year contained 365.2420 days. Scientists now know that the Mayan year was .0002 of a day too short! -'World History: Perspectives on the Past'

They have also predicted when the moon will rise and set and when it will be full moon. Scientists have known the precise moonrises and sets throught-out the modern day. When they studied the Mayan records of when the moonrise and moonsets would occure, scientists figured that the Mayan were 33 seconds off the actual time!!

EDITED(sry):

The Maya worshiped a number of gods. For example, they believed that each day was a living god whose behavior could be predicted with the help of an intricate system of calendars. Their 260-day religious calendar consisted of twenty 13-day months. A second 365-day calendar consisted of eighteen 20-day months, with a separate period of 5 days at the end. The two calendars were linked together like meshed gears so that any given day could be identified in both cycles. The Maya used their calendars to help determine the best times to plant crops, attack enemies, or crown new rulers.

The Maya predicted these using their calender, usually a set of gears.

user posted image

They had many predictions, and here was one of them:

--Great Birds will come from the sky and end a great city to the north at 9/11/01.

Fact: 2 airplanes(birds) struck the twin towers of NewYork(great city), a city to the north.

user posted image"Great Birds from the sky..."

Heres another one:

--The End of the World will be marked at Sunday December 23, 2012.

Fact: There have been stories in the bible about the 40-day flood that ended the world, stories that the world ended and humans would rise again. You think this will happen in 2012?

----lol, I learned most of this from my history class and a movie that was completely made by scientists and very modern looking, and no its not propaganda. So what do you think? Will the world end in 2012? New York sure was struck in 2001 by giant birds. What are the chances of the world ending?

(sorry if it was too long)

Edited by Hailo_hellFIRE

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marduk

• Meiliken

• airstreamjock

• Tann de Mae

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For starters, someone's feeding you strange infor for a history class. There is nothing to surprising about the calender; heck the Mayans were not the first people to figure out celestial movement with great accuracy, nor were they the last. The two birds striking the great city is indeed bunk, and I suggest you verify something like that by checking out its source prior to believing it. The forty-day flood has been shown not to have happened in anywhere near the scale the bible talks about. The only reference other than the end-of-world nonsense people like to talk about concerning the 2012 date on the Mayan calender is not, in fact, the end of the world, but rather the beginning of a new cycle, in much the same way that my calender ends on January 30. It doesn't signify that I need to prepare for the end, it signifies that this calender has run out and I need to buy a new one.

Hehe, thanks for your opinion or facts aquatus, i'll take that in account grin2.gif . But I want to know what other people think.

I got some links though, thought it might interest you...

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

They are either true or false, its your belief of the Mayans.

Edited by Hailo_hellFIRE

Well this is the first time Ive heard of these peeps. (I hated history.)

So u all keep talking about the end of the world in 2012... do u mean Wormwood? If so theres a thread about that somewhere in Mysteries Of The Mind, Space & Time.

By the way - did they actually predict the date of the 'birds' hitting the city?

Also Im still an Embryo - I was wonder: How do I get more little blue blocks???

Josch

The longer you are in and the more (hopefully meaningful) posts you make, the higher up in experience blocks you get.

I think you'll find that the links above, once you get over the doomsaying, still come down to the basic point that "The Mayans simply ended their calender on X date. We don't really know why." If you wish to believe this means the end of the world, well, that is your perogative, however it is far more likely that it simply meant the retirement of the mathematician who was calculating these dates.

When will you people realize it is a good ending and not a bad one...? rolleyes.gif

from what i hear the mayan calender isent really a calender at all just a stone with writeing on it

380351[/snapback]

From what I hear the modern calendar isn't really a calendar at all it is just a booklet made from paper filled with nice pictures, a bunch of numbers, and writing. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Athenian

You should never predict the end of the World, because if you are right you wont be around to take credit anyways, so you cant really win.

"The Mayans simply ended their calender on X date.

That makes me feel much better. The Mayans were so good at astronomy I figured it mean a comet was going to smack us. I'll remember to go out and pick up a new calendar on that date. grin2.gif

Stop posting false information about Mayan predictions. Do you have any link to that 9/11 prophecy? No?

it's not necessarily the "end" of the world. i've seen tons of theories, namely the one about it's supposed to be the date when the "air"/"water"...element? takes precedent in our planet and the world as we know it becomes some cool thing where time has no meaning and it's peace blah blah blah blah.

correct me if i'm wrong, i saw this stuff a while back. whistling2.gif

and what's this about his facts being false? i thought most of them were correct?

man i'm out of date rolleyes.gif

Edited by Joe013

it's not necessarily the "end" of the world. i've seen tons of theories, namely the one about it's supposed to be the date when the "air"/"water"...element?  takes precedent in our planet and the world as we know it becomes some cool thing where time has no meaning and it's peace blah blah blah blah.

and what's this about his facts being false? i thought most of them were correct?

man i'm out of date  rolleyes.gif

380705[/snapback]

notice the sarcasm in my post let me show you "FACTS" rolleyes.gif you are indeed out if date. how is that windows 98?

Anyone noticed how we can only notice some predictions after they happened?

like the so called 2 birds prediction. my guess is it's because they are so vague, that you can twist them to fit a lot of different things no prediction has ever come true if so i want proof that kills my dog and eats my cat

Edited by Hotoke

it's not necessarily the "end" of the world. i've seen tons of theories, namely the one about it's supposed to be the date when the "air"/"water"...element?  takes precedent in our planet and the world as we know it becomes some cool thing where time has no meaning and it's peace blah blah blah blah.

man i'm out of date  rolleyes.gif

380705[/snapback]

notice the sarcasm in my post let me show you "FACTS" rolleyes.gif you are indeed out if date. how is that windows 98?

Anyone noticed how we can only notice some predictions after they happened?

like the so called 2 birds prediction. my guess is it's because they are so vague, that you can twist them to fit a lot of different things no prediction has ever come true if so i want proof that kills my dog and eats my cat

380731[/snapback]

haha i have windows 2000 thank you very much.

yes, i guess you are correct. these "prophecies" do sort of remind me of nostradamus/the bible code

Lol, you may think its false, but thats your belief rolleyes.gif . I don't believe in it to, but then again, the Mayan Year was off .0002 days.

Its not my decision, but yours to wether believe in the Mayans or not. But I just want to present this information, true or false, and see what people have to say. There was no real evidence that this was true, but on written hyroglyphs...

...neither do you have evidence that its false tongue.gif .

all those 'facts' you posted are false

380591[/snapback]

Could be...

Edited by Hailo_hellFIRE

Don't forget, Hailo, that in science and research, things are considered unproven until such time they are proven (kind of the reverse of our court system).

Don't forget, Hailo, that in science and research, things are considered unproven until such time they are proven (kind of the reverse of our court system).

381083[/snapback]

Yes, I know. I don't think the Mayans were true, but debunking it to soon is absurd, don't you think?

It just remains an Unexplained Mystery, there is no proof if it is true or not...

...you taught me well aquatus1...*bows head*

Edited by Hailo_hellFIRE

I just thought of something, what if it means when the poles reverse? It's an end to something and the beginning to another. Don't give any credit to my thought but it just popped into my head. By the way, when was the last time they reversed?

If you are going to reference the Bible, at least get it right. God said that he will never again destroy the world with a flood, like he did long ago.

*laughs at himself* Anyone without windows XP Pro is seriously dissadvantaged!

If ANYTHING is going to end the world, it will be people refusing to upgrade!

*laughs harder*

The last pole reversal, if memory serves, was approximately 100,000 years ago, which puts us 40,000 years overdue for one. You may relax, however. There isn't a single mass extinction event that coincides with a pole reversal. Whatever the effects are, we are well adapted to survive them; in point of fact, chances are good that we wouldn't even notice if we didn't have the machines telling us North is now South.

I know it won't cause any mass damage to happen, I just had the thought. But actually in science last year we were told that its possible that something could happen to computers. But I don't know for sure.