Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What they are teaching in your kids in SC

Midyin

Who knows if God did all that.. I sure wasn't around to see it nor remember it at least, if it was in my past life.

But I think that asking questions in a true-or-false -manner is worse, because it encourages you accept readymade thoughts instead of forming your own. If you learn to do more that kind of questions, you'll grow up as a more judgemental person who'll have trouble giving your own thoughts about anything. That just increases the problems in society if you teach a majority that way and just shrug it off like it's nothing. It's easy to attack the creationism here, "oh look stupid creationists again, now they're at our school, how horrible" but isn't it something else the real stupidity behind that here?

• Like 1

First off snopes isent the most trusted of sources. They make stuff up sometimes. Secondly this is probably some speical private christian school. Not public. The article does a great job of not nameing the school. Personally this quiz looks kind of made up to me.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

If it isn't made up that school isn't worth attending. Brainwashing at its best.

• Like 2

If it isn't made up that school isn't worth attending. Brainwashing at its best.

Exactly, this type of curriculum limits future options for kids. The data is useless in a practical matter and doesn't reflect reality or current science and technology. A kid has to have an education that will allow them to thrive.

• Like 1

When I saw this on Facebook, I thought it was an elaborate joke. I forgot which country I live in.

A real Gallup poll shows that nearly half of Americans still believe that Earth is less than 10,000 years old. But how would they know? They weren't there! :cry:

• Like 1

Based on the title of the test it isn't a science test from a public school but from a religious one.

• Like 1

As if the south doesn't have enough trouble getting past it's nasty stereotypes of being a bunch of bible thumping, under educated, intolerant, inbread morons this has to happen...

http://www.snopes.co...ZBXOiD5SqBIh.99

Thoughts?

Excuse me?

It says "probably true". :rolleyes: I happen to know quite a few teachers from Christian schools and they teach real science and believe it or not even evolution. *gasp*

• Like 4

Excuse me?

It says "probably true". :rolleyes: I happen to know quite a few teachers from Christian schools and they teach real science and believe it or not even evolution. *gasp*

So you believe it's impossible that any Christian school anywhere in the United States could be teaching Young Earth Creationism instead?

So you believe it's impossible that any Christian school anywhere in the United States could be teaching Young Earth Creationism instead?

I have no proof they don't, but even snopes admits this is pretty much a rumor. I will not discuss the possibility of something which has not been proven to be true. Out of all the kids I know that go to or have graduated from Christian schools the majority of them aren't even particularly religious. They go to private Christian schools because the education is much better and gives them a very distinct advantage when applying to college.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

As if the south doesn't have enough trouble getting past it's nasty stereotypes of being a bunch of bible thumping, under educated, intolerant, inbread morons this has to happen...

http://www.snopes.co...ZBXOiD5SqBIh.99

Thoughts?

Excuse me?

I worked in a private Christian school several years ago. I would like to point out we taught Creationism AND Evolution. This test is most likely from a CHRISTIAN school, not a public one. We don't know if they are ONLY teaching Creationism. They could be teaching Evolution too. Also, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, my Dad attended a private Catholic School that was run by nuns (Blue Brothers comes to mind, LOL) and interestingly enough, they taught Creationism along with Evolution also. A LOT of Christian Schools and homeschoolers do this.

After all, it's up to the individual student to decide what to believe in, right?

• Like 2

I worked in a private Christian school several years ago. I would like to point out we taught Creationism AND Evolution. This test is most likely from a CHRISTIAN school, not a public one. We don't know if they are ONLY teaching Creationism. They could be teaching Evolution too. Also, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, my Dad attended a private Catholic School that was run by nuns (Blue Brothers comes to mind, LOL) and interestingly enough, they taught Creationism along with Evolution also. A LOT of Christian Schools and homeschoolers do this.

After all, it's up to the individual student to decide what to believe in, right?

Yes, it is. And of course they are going to have religious classes. They usually teach about other religions also, to be better informed of the world around them.

• Like 1

Perhaps once a child reaches middle school or beyond. For younger children introducing confusion and conflicting theories isn't going to help matters, in fact there is a good chance it could compound them.

This test(Assumong it's real), is teaching this little girl that "The Flintstones was a documetary because that's how we interperate an old magic book".

If that's the kind "scientific method" that's being taught there I very highly doubt that those children are going integrate into the rest of Americas general population very well... lol

This test(Assumong it's real), is teaching this little girl that "The Flintstones was a documetary because that's how we interperate an old magic book".

If that's the kind "scientific method" that's being taught there I very highly doubt that those children are going integrate into the rest of Americas general population very well... lol

Ted Turner graduated from one of our most prestigious Christian schools and he is still one of it's biggest contributors. I don't think anyone can say he hasn't integrated very well, unless you wouldn't want to be married to Jane Fonda and have billions of dollars. :w00t:

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

I have no proof they don't, but even snopes admits this is pretty much a rumor. I will not discuss the possibility of something which has not been proven to be true. Out of all the kids I know that go to or have graduated from Christian schools the majority of them aren't even particularly religious. They go to private Christian schools because the education is much better and gives them a very distinct advantage when applying to college.

Advantages come from taking AP classes and honor classes, or community college(in high school) and getting a high GPA,this can be accomplished regardless of the school one comes out of. In other words, it's the effort a student applies that get them the grades that determine the college choices they will have, not the high school they come out of. If a school teaches creationism as the equivalent of science and technology, a person would have a hard time competing on an academic level as they just will not have the information they need regardless of the school.

Edited by Sherapy

Advantages come from taking AP classes and honor classes, or community college(in high school) and getting a high GPA,this can be accomplished regardless of the school one comes out of. In other words, it's the effort a student applies that get them the grades that determine the college choices they will have, not the high school they come out of. If a school teaches creationism as the equivalent of science and technology, a person would have a hard time competing on an academic level as they just will not have the information they need regardless of the school.

There's the rub now isn't it? First, we don't know if this is even true and second, this could be a religious class asking the students what Christians believe? You are making an assumption you can't prove.

• Like 1

There's the rub now isn't it? First, we don't know if this is even true and second, this could be a religious class asking the students what Christians believe? You are making an assumption you can't prove.

Michelle-- I can infer from the 4th grade students quiz that they are being taught creationism, based on that-- I stand by my conclusion that if this is their 'only' Science education it will not afford them the options that come from a good education as this is not an academic education-- it is religious in context. You are correct, I cannot prove or establish this is their only education though, it is very possible it is a Sunday school quiz. With that being said, I actually do know of and have lots of experience with home school movements that do teach creationism and bible based educations. I have been around long enough to see the outcome of such choices, it is very limiting for a young persons future (as it limits their options.) I am all for honoring and respecting religious tradition as one sees fit--, but I also respect and honor that a child has the right to an education that will serve to give them a life where they can thrive.

Edited by Sherapy

Ted Turner graduated from one of our most prestigious Christian schools and he is still one of it's biggest contributors. I don't think anyone can say he hasn't integrated very well, unless you wouldn't want to be married to Jane Fonda and have billions of dollars. :w00t:

I have to say, when I was a teacher's aide (at a private Christian School) to the two teachers. One was taught English Literature, and the other one taught History. I eventually left the school to pursue a degree in Occupational/Speech Therapy for special needs kids (I love children and have always been comfortable and at ease with them. They are so special!)but was unable to finish college.

Anyway, what I SAW, in this school was excellent! I mean these kids were getting a great education. I have to admit, I went to public school for a LONG time, but my parents had to pull me out, because I was bored to tears in class, and I needed to be getting in

ADVANCED classes which my school did not offer at all.

Public schools have been going down the toilet for awhile now. In some areas, the public schools are SO BAD, the only choices for parents who actually care about there kids, and don't think the government should be babysitting them, Christian Private Schools or homeschooling is THE only option.

I am devoting my LIFE to my sons (and any future children) education. I plan to homeschool. I know a lot of moms don't get this option but me and my husband (he was homeschooled) think it's VERY important, and we are lucky to be able to do this. I am a genealogist and I am lucky I can do most of my research online. I DO have to go to libraries and archives but I am lucky my mother in law, mother, or sister in law can watch my kid. So I'm very blessed. :innocent:

I think individualism is VERY important. Present ALL the evidence to the child, and let them decide for themselves. No one should be able to dictate to someone what to believe.

I have to say, when I was a teacher's aide (at a private Christian School) to the two teachers. One was taught English Literature, and the other one taught History. I eventually left the school to pursue a degree in Occupational/Speech Therapy for special needs kids (I love children and have always been comfortable and at ease with them. They are so special!)but was unable to finish college.

Anyway, what I SAW, in this school was excellent! I mean these kids were getting a great education. I have to admit, I went to public school for a LONG time, but my parents had to pull me out, because I was bored to tears in class, and I needed to be getting in

ADVANCED classes which my school did not offer at all.

Public schools have been going down the toilet for awhile now. In some areas, the public schools are SO BAD, the only choices for parents who actually care about there kids, and don't think the government should be babysitting them, Christian Private Schools or homeschooling is THE only option.

I am devoting my LIFE to my sons (and any future children) education. I plan to homeschool. I know a lot of moms don't get this option but me and my husband (he was homeschooled) think it's VERY important, and we are lucky to be able to do this. I am a genealogist and I am lucky I can do most of my research online. I DO have to go to libraries and archives but I am lucky my mother in law, mother, or sister in law can watch my kid. So I'm very blessed. :innocent:

I think individualism is VERY important. Present ALL the evidence to the child, and let them decide for themselves. No one should be able to dictate to someone what to believe.

There is no doubt private Christian schools have a far better education than public schools. Parents start prepairing their children and their resumes from the time they are born. That hadn't even accured to me until our neighbor was telling me she had already put her child on waiting lists, starting with preschool, at only a few months old. Parents are very competitive when it comes to getting their children in these schools and they don't accept just anyone. These kids have very high standards they have to live up to and have to have/keep a certain grade point average. There are too many children on waiting lists to take advantage of a better education to have others simply taking up space.

For the most part I think homeschooling is wonderful. Personally, all of the kids I know who were had a fantastic education and are very well rounded. I have heard of a few people who homeschool that worry me a great deal. Not everyone can be a good teacher or have the character, stability and education needed. I think those children should have exposure to more adults and not hear everything from one side.

It sounds like you have everything needed to successfully homeschool. The best of luck to you! :tu:

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

Oh... They do. ( not all of course) Watch the documentary "friends of christ" .

I see no harm in testing children about the truth. Their is no real evidence that science knows the truth. This country has been founded on the premise that God is real. God bless America. It's still on our currency. It's the rest of the country that has it backwards if you ask me.

• Like 1

The problem is CreationISM is not science and shouldn't be taught as science. It is religion. Actually evolution is not really about how life was created, it about how it was done. If you feel the Universe was started by an omnipotent being evolution is most likely how he did it.

since when did atheistic darwinism become the neutrality?

Public schools ask that religion be left out of the classroom, and yet in it's place it inserts atheism. You just can't have evolution without atheism. Sure, you could explain the beginning of the universe as starting with God perhaps, however it would only be a cruel, impersonal, useless God that would do that.

There are many serious objections to the theory of evolution that completely disproves it, however due to mankind's new found anti-supernatural bias, it's all ruled out despite all of the obvious objections to the theory. It can't be questioned no matter how much evidence, 'It just simply must be so!' Everything else is just slapped the 'religon' label (which btw is dogmatically dismissed as false simply on those grounds which is ludacris) while the state continues enforcing their atheism.

I may not agree with enforcing Christianity in the public schools, nor more than I agree with enforcing atheism. But to willingly twist and ignore and silence the totality of the evidence just to simply inforce their 'belief' is just simply rediculous.

• Like 1

Oh I dont know, from what i read on UM they might fit in perfectly :innocent:

Seriously though, i found it interesting that the purported father of the student was very happy with the standards rigour and content of all other classes And they even teach latin. "Non nobis solum" to quote my old school motto. Or "Fac omnia bene" to quote the motto of the government school where I teach.

In australia about 25-30 % of parents send their kids to religious schools, not because they are religious, but because of the standards and values taught in those schools compared with government ones.Here creationism is not allowed to be taught in science, history, etc., but certainly religous beliefs can be taught, as such, in any school; public/govt. or private. So we have schools teaching buddhist beliefs, islamic beliefs, jewish beliefs, mainstream christian beliefs, and fundamentalist beliefs that I know of personally.

My wife attended one of the later, and you won't find a better "educated" person, despite her belief in creationism. She knows evolutionary history, but choses not to believe it. Her maths, language, logic, and other skills, are as good as mine, and I went to a govt school and university and have taught teenagers in a govt school for forty years. She found work for 10 years in church employment as a trained ledger machinist and typist, but her skills were quite transferrable to private enterprises, where she spent her last five years working, until we were married and she did not have to do paid work.

Edited by Mr Walker