Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Atheist tactics in Calif

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
94 replies to this topic

#46    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,602 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 18 November 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

Unless the "athiest" you are talking about goes to church every sunday or reads the bible on a regular basis, then no, not really.

I rest my case.

#47    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,355 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 18 November 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

Because they love thy neighbor  so  very much  ..And using angry throwing the hissy fits.. they must think that is what Jesus would do !!

He did turn tables over...

Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that “Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous execution, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God."

http://www.astrology...ead.php?t=81593

#48    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 18 November 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

Unless the "athiest" you are talking about goes to church every sunday or reads the bible on a regular basis, then no, not really.
I don't know if hypocracy is the right word, but what do you call someone who chooses not to take part on something, but vehemently hates it when other people do?  A:"do you want ice cream?" B:"no"  A:"fine, I'll go have it on my own", B:"you son of a b****!"?????

#49    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

View Postranrod, on 18 November 2012 - 11:35 PM, said:

My question is why did Atheists feel the need to publicly ridicule the Christians that had been part of that event for over 50 years?
What's time got to do with it?

Why do they care?  
It seems it grew out of them getting their own display and the Christians having a hissy fit against them. Then them responding to the hissy fit by having a hissy fit.

Are they actively trying to promote Atheism, deter Christianity, or suppress religious expression?  
Yes, Yes, No.

As a non-believer I couldn't care less what believers want to do.  When a little girl tells you they are behaving good so she gets presents from Santa Claus, do you feel compelled to ridicule her?  Probably not.  Let her have her fun, right?
Atheists are still the least trusted minority in the US, under rapists.
(Actually, I think we're now above the Tea Party, groovy.)
There is a growing trend of atheist and secular (and in secular groups this is a mixture of atheists and secular theists) who try to enforce what they see as breaches of separation of church and state. Further, atheist groups have a tendency to try to promote atheism as a valid world view.
And of course they are not necessarily any more rational or less antagonistic than any other group, it's still made up of humans.

As a child, no. As an adult, I might feel the slight desire to poke a little (good natured) fun at her, yes.
Of course, I have little fear that someone who still believes in Santa will try to instill faith based initiatives or that the US was found upon Yuletide principles.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#50    Odin11

Odin11

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

View Postranrod, on 18 November 2012 - 11:35 PM, said:

My question is why did Atheists feel the need to publicly ridicule the Christians that had been part of that event for over 50 years?  Why do they care?  Are they actively trying to promote Atheism, deter Christianity, or suppress religious expression?  As a non-believer I couldn't care less what believers want to do.  When a little girl tells you they are behaving good so she gets presents from Santa Claus, do you feel compelled to ridicule her?  Probably not.  Let her have her fun, right?

Why do the Christian displays need to be on public property? Why can't they put it up on the Churches property? I would have no problem with that. In fact, I really don't have a problem with it being on public property as well, as long as they don't act like they have the sole right to put up displays.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#51    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

View Postranrod, on 18 November 2012 - 11:39 PM, said:

I don't know if hypocracy is the right word, but what do you call someone who chooses not to take part on something, but vehemently hates it when other people do?  A:"do you want ice cream?" B:"no"  A:"fine, I'll go have it on my own", B:"you son of a b****!"?????

Yes, but then the person having the ice cream tries to get their favorite ice cream made mandatory for everyone. You're not a true patriot if you don't like this ice cream. You will be sent to a place where you can only eat turds after you die if you don't take this ice cream.
You can only reach office if you like this ice cream. Ect.

You seem to be looking at only this one incident when there's a good deal more going on than just this Christmas display.

Now personally, I don't associate (though I keep informed) with any of the bigger Atheist groups in the US. I'm instead a member of several skeptic groups. Atheist groups are to narrow focused and to political for my liking, with exceptions. Unfortunately those exceptions (like Ask an Atheist, based out of Washington State) don't get as much attention as the jerks, as anyone will tell you.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#52    Odin11

Odin11

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

• I like your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

View PostEldorado, on 18 November 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

Sound more like these "atheists" were only out to try and spoil Christmas for Christians.  Spiteful, childish behaviour that calls into question their definition of "tolerance".
Just like all "atheists", they believe they have superior intelligence to everyone who believes in a deity.  That'll be about 75% of the world's population.  Talk about heads up backsides?

The olny "Spiteful, childish behaviour" I see in all this is the vandalism of the displays.

And the 2nd half of your post isn’t worth a response

Edited by Odin11, 19 November 2012 - 12:01 AM.

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#53    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,602 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

View PostOdin11, on 18 November 2012 - 11:58 PM, said:

The olny "childish behaviour" I see in all this is the vandalism of the displays.

lol @ your post.. before you edited it.

Edited by Eldorado, 19 November 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#54    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 18 November 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

Yes, but then the person having the ice cream tries to get their favorite ice cream made mandatory for everyone. You're not a true patriot if you don't like this ice cream. You will be sent to a place where you can only eat turds after you die if you don't take this ice cream.
You can only reach office if you like this ice cream. Ect.

You seem to be looking at only this one incident when there's a good deal more going on than just this Christmas display.

Now personally, I don't associate (though I keep informed) with any of the bigger Atheist groups in the US. I'm instead a member of several skeptic groups. Atheist groups are to narrow focused and to political for my liking, with exceptions. Unfortunately those exceptions (like Ask an Atheist, based out of Washington State) don't get as much attention as the jerks, as anyone will tell you.
I think I see what you mean.  Although those booths could go to anyone wanting to put up a Holiday presentation, Atheists felt the predominantly Christian displays affected public perceptions and gave more weight to the Christian views and stances.  The Atheists then put up their own displays to level the playing field, at which point Christians threw a hissy fit, which escalated to the event being withdrawn.

#55    Odin11

Odin11

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

• I like your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

View PostEldorado, on 18 November 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

lol @ your post.. before you edited it.

I edited it because I saw that it went to far and to have a little decorum. I see now that I shouldn't have tried.

#56    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,602 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostOdin11, on 19 November 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

I edited it because I saw that it went to far and to have a little decorum. I see now that I shouldn't have tried.
I see.  You've made the assumption that I'm a bigoted Christian have you?  FYI... I "hate" almost every "Church" on this planet. Doesn't stop me from considering myself Christian though.  i.e. tolerant, forgiving and peaceful.

Good luck to you and your ilk in your hatred of the majority of earth's population.

Edited by Eldorado, 19 November 2012 - 12:15 AM.

#57    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 5,750 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 19 November 2012 - 12:14 AM.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#58    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,754 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

View Post_Only, on 18 November 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

Yes, Christians stole that date and features of stories, as many religions and cultures do between each other. But they stole it to make their own Christian holiday, Christmas, celebrating the birth of their God's son, which is what the church put a display up of. That's all.

But they kept the pagan tradition of keeping and decorating a evergreen tree in their house to encourage the sun to shine stronger

#59    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 19 November 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
I've actually met a number of Fundie Jewish folks and read a number of stories of Fundie Jewish folks doing just that. By and large, I think it seems that Judaism has a leg up on raising smart and intelligent people. Certainly, a good chunk of recent famous scientists were culturally Jewish. (Einstein, Feynman, Sagan)

View Postranrod, on 19 November 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

I think I see what you mean.  Although those booths could go to anyone wanting to put up a Holiday presentation, Atheists felt the predominantly Christian displays affected public perceptions and gave more weight to the Christian views and stances.  The Atheists then put up their own displays to level the playing field, at which point Christians threw a hissy fit, which escalated to the event being withdrawn.
That's what I'm getting. Might be wrong.

-Terry Pratchett

#60    Odin11

Odin11

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

• I like your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

View PostEldorado, on 19 November 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

I see.  You've made the assumption that I'm a bigoted Christian have you?  FYI... I "hate" almost every "Church" on this planet. Doesn't stop me from considering myself Christian though.  i.e. tolerant, forgiving and peaceful.

Good luck to you and your ilk in your hatred of the majority of earth's population.

I have done no such thing. And I don't see how you got that out of my posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users