Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

my view on hunting.

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,220 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

My view on hunting is if you need to do it go ahead.  But, if you can go to the store and buy hamberger don't do it.  If you have to hunt for fun use a digatol camera.  In my view hunting for sport is wrong, for food it is ok.  But, only if you can't buy food.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#2    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

• "Live with cause and leave results to the great law of the universe, passing each day in peaceful contemplation"

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Well I dont hunt, but i know if I did id rather hunt than buy at the store, We need to not relie on the food companys. they are the ones harming the world, not the hunters.

Posted Image

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,172 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

Id agree about not hunting for fun. Not that any hunting really is possible in the UK anyway, except rabbit/pigeon and fowl if you're lucky enough to go on a fowl shoot that is.

As a fisherman too, most rivers dont really have the kind of fish you'd want to eat, like pike or perch, (even tho Ive eaten both out of curiosity) for salmon and trout you have to pay someone to use a stocked lake!

But Ive thought about it often, and I know in desperate circumstances, id kill any suitable animal to eat. But then again, over the years Ive cut my meat consumption right down to mostly chicken, and perhaps 80% of my diet is now vegetable based. And I dont care about the pain my tomatoes and cucumber go through when Im hungry!

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,611 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 16 June 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

Well I dont hunt, but i know if I did id rather hunt than buy at the store, We need to not relie on the food companys. they are the ones harming the world, not the hunters.

You still don't know what the critter ate before you shot it and what type of civilization residues are in its body.

For the theme itself: I hunt, if I want to eat wild rabbit I go and shoot me one (if there are any in the area). What I despise is those who do it as sport. What I find totally objectionable is those who kill an animal just to have its stuffed carcass hanging from the wall, there should be a law against that.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,220 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

I don't know much asbout the fish in england but the pike nd perch are eatable here.  But, if you going to go fishing just to release it, don't would you like to be jerked around with a hook in your mouth, just because it is fun.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#6    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,172 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

View Postdanielost, on 16 June 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

I don't know much asbout the fish in england but the pike nd perch are eatable here.  But, if you going to go fishing just to release it, don't would you like to be jerked around with a hook in your mouth, just because it is fun.

Oh no but we 'can' eat the pike and perch, its just not very common. I know pike is treated like a delicacy in some parts of Europe.

When I first river fished I always thought its pointless unless you will eat the fish.

Nowadays I only get my rods out when I go the coast, I do love to catch mackerel if I can and cook it and eat right there and then. Heck Ive even had it raw.

I see the coast as a great source of food and I will take brown crabs, shrimp and decent fish if I get them! So I guess I do hunt in a  way! Ive dug for cockles, pried limpets of rocks, even tried the edible seaweeds! I love it all!

Catching Razor clams is my goal this year...with salt so no digging!  They cost a lot in a restaurant, but on the beach, its FREE! Take a fry pan and heat source and garlic butter, YUM YUM!!

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#7    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,538 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

I used to hunt, bow hunted mainly. I enjoyed it. Had my reasons for stopping, and would never do it again unless forced to for food. If more people understood how beneficial hunting is, it sure would be nice. Not enough understand. The fees for tags and such go straight to the preservation of species, and if things were not hunted, disease, and over population would wipe them out.

There are reasons only so many " tags " are given out, and in certain areas, deprivation hunts are needed.

I also wish more families actually did go out and hunt, so kids could learn things they do not learn on the Xbox and PSP.

Going out as I did, starting with my Dad, has taught me things I will never forget. Number one is respect, for nature.

" Sport " hunting, or hunting on " private " ranch's is bull****.....I also never would hunt Bear, Cougar, Coyote, or Fox. I do not get that. Also, hunting with dogs ( treeing ) is bull****.

View Postdanielost, on 16 June 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

I Salmon fish every year in the rivers here. ( also fish for trout and other things year round ) People should be more focused on the over fishing in the oceans then sport fisherman on rivers.

I do not eat fish, I love fishing, for various reasons. I keep enough for my wife, and family that want fish. Other then that, I catch and release. The fish are not harmed, and actually they are quite dumb. I have caught the same trout on the same lure in a certain river, in 5 casts. 3 separate hook ups. I released it, it went back out, and took the same lure again. So, maybe they do not mind being tugged around. I am sure you have no problem eating fish, or shrimp, or crab. I wonder if those fish you eat would have rather been released?

As for Salmon, I release a lot of them. They go up the river and die either way after spawning.

I also release fish ( if we are fishing to keep them ) that are small, or to big ( my judgement, not laws ). Many that others would keep.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#8    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,448 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

One good reason to hunt, although I don't, is wild meat is low in cholesterol and so is grass fed cows.  When they shoot that grain to then to put weight on them it also makes the meat high in cholesterol.   You can't buy grass fed cows at the market.

#9    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,538 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostHilander, on 16 June 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

You can't buy grass fed cows at the market.

This is all we eat.....

http://www.oregongrassfed.com/

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#10    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

If I had to kill for my meat supply I wouldn't eat it, except fish.I can kill fish easily, no seafood is safe from me. I love shooting at targets, but would never consider a "live" target. If I want a moving target, I use a remote control car with a target on it. I do not consider hunting for food cruel, but using animals for target 's or for their head's  to mount on a wall......very cruel.

#11    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,553 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 16 June 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

What I find totally objectionable is those who kill an animal just to have its stuffed carcass hanging from the wall, there should be a law against that.
Agreed, or just so they can pose in front of the camera with it "look at me & what I just killed".......and fox hunting which is barbaric.

I don't like the idea of hunting for sport even though I used to go fishing with my dad, but I'd think twice about doing it now. It's not right to kill wildlife 'just because we can'. If our lives depended on it that's different, but if it were down to me to have to hunt, I'd rather give up eating meat.

Posted Image

#12    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

if you just remember the phrase-
''don't kill something you're not going to eat''
then you can't go wrong.

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#13    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,172 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

View Postshrooma, on 16 June 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

if you just remember the phrase-
''don't kill something you're not going to eat''
then you can't go wrong.

can we exclude scary house spiders from that please? :yes:

#14    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

i rather think that hunting for sport is alright IF you eat the things you hunt
and not merely for pleasure of just hunting and killing things
it's good sport

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#15    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,448 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

View PostSakari, on 16 June 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

This is all we eat.....

http://www.oregongrassfed.com/
Now if I just lived in Oregon.  I use to have cows and a pet bull but couldn't stand sending them to auction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users