Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crows For Abramelin

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Next door but one to me is a pub who has bread delivered 3 times a week.Between April and July the crows attack the bread and leave just crumbs which means they lose a dozen buns and more occasionally.Once July ends they stop...they like me because i hobble along every bread delivery day and if they have munched anything that day i throw to them.....i then put the bread away for the pub...i think it may be down to them having young but it really does bloody intrigue me..i watch them from a window and they seem organized...blackbirds are the last to take whats left...small birds dont seem to mind...ideas..

Edited by ThePhantomFlanFlinger
  • Like 1

I don't know what your question is exactly, but I can say they do recognize people, and thus you.

And yes, during the first part of the period you mentioned they raise their young from egg to fledgling, but during the second half of that period their young have left the nest already and fly around with their parents who still feed them for some time to come.

As you might know, crows eat anything, but they prefer proteins, certainly for their young. So after July maybe some grubs or other critters start leaving the woodwork and from under stones or whatever, and they will eat them and leave the bread. It could also have to do with the period you people have your holidays: August? People go out, have a picnic or a barbeque, and so on.

• Like 1

About them being organized... you bet they are. When one finds a food source, the news gets around very quickly, and off they go.

And like I said: think of picnics in a park. It's holiday time, and they know it.

You might be interested in this video, a lecture by John Marzluff (I hope this one won't breach copyright, sigh)

One of the things I liked of that video and had never heard off before, is crows giving 'gifts' to people that feed them...

• Like 1

I don't know what your question is exactly, but I can say they do recognize people, and thus you.

And yes, during the first part of the period you mentioned they raise their young from egg to fledgling, but during the second half of that period their young have left the nest already and fly around with their parents who still feed them for some time to come.

As you might know, crows eat anything, but they prefer proteins, certainly for their young. So after July maybe some grubs or other critters start leaving the woodwork and from under stones or whatever, and they will eat them and leave the bread. It could also have to do with the period you people have your holidays: August? People go out, have a picnic or a barbeque, and so on.

Im on the coast to coast of Bitain Ab...i think i uderstand the little blighters a bit more now...thanks Ab..

Im on the coast to coast of Bitain Ab...i think i uderstand the little blighters a bit more now...thanks Ab..

You're welcome, Phantom.

If you want to read a bit more about corvids, try my blog: http://kromakhy.blogspot.nl/

This is a separate blog that functions as an index to the former: http://kromakhysiteindex.blogspot.nl/

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

About them being organized... you bet they are. When one finds a food source, the news gets around very quickly, and off they go.

And like I said: think of picnics in a park. It's holiday time, and they know it.

Everything you have said makes sense regarding my crows...ive never once been nasty to them...amazing creatures....thanks Ab....