Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ask a Mormon

Bee Eff

I thought that, given the general mistaken beliefs concerning what we believe, I would answer questions.

The term "Mormon" is a term referencing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the LDS Church). It does not typically reference other groups that have splintered off.

Here are the guidelines I would request are followed so as to keep the thread somewhat less chaotic than I foresee it quickly becoming:

• Questions should be direct and as unambiguous as possible.
  • Be respectful, do not attack my answers with a "No, you do not" or similar type answer.
  • Do not look for a discussion from me in this thread, I am creating this thread so I may try to answer questions not to argue the points.
  • If you would like to argue points in my religion, feel free to start another thread and argue those points there. If you want my input, follow Omnaka's example. He politely sent a message making me aware of his desire that I comment on a thread as to the "Mormon" view. I enjoy this type of discussion and if it appears that I may learn something I will participate in discussion.
  • If you would like strict Mormon doctrine, I can provide that. I at times will include my personal views, I will attempt to make it clear when something is my opinion and when something is doctrine of the Church
  • Finally, I am rather busy between family, Church responsibilities, work and teaching. My four children and wife enjoy their time with me ;) I will try to respond as quickly as I can, but please be patient with me.

Also, there are some splinter groups off the"Mormon" Church. These groups are typically very small. Questions about current polygamy practices are probably referencing one of these sects and not the LDS Church. The LDS Church did practice polygamy until 1890, and I can answer questions concerning our views on polygamy, but have little knowledge of the groups that currently practice polygamy. There are some statements floating that Mitt Romney's geneology includes a man fundamental in the decision to end the practice of polygamy, this is false.

Now again, I welcome any questions or clarification requests you may have.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bee Eff

• danielost

• Omnaka

• PhoenixDown

I thought that, given the general mistaken beliefs concerning what we believe, I would answer questions.

The term "Mormon" is a term referencing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the LDS Church). It does not typically reference other groups that have splintered off.

Here are the guidelines I would request are followed so as to keep the thread somewhat less chaotic than I foresee it quickly becoming:

• Questions should be direct and as unambiguous as possible.
  • Be respectful, do not attack my answers with a "No, you do not" or similar type answer.
  • Do not look for a discussion from me in this thread, I am creating this thread so I may try to answer questions not to argue the points.
  • If you would like to argue points in my religion, feel free to start another thread and argue those points there. If you want my input, follow Omnaka's example. He politely sent a message making me aware of his desire that I comment on a thread as to the "Mormon" view. I enjoy this type of discussion and if it appears that I may learn something I will participate in discussion.
  • If you would like strict Mormon doctrine, I can provide that. I at times will include my personal views, I will attempt to make it clear when something is my opinion and when something is doctrine of the Church
  • Finally, I am rather busy between family, Church responsibilities, work and teaching. My four children and wife enjoy their time with me ;) I will try to respond as quickly as I can, but please be patient with me.

Also, there are some splinter groups off the"Mormon" Church. These groups are typically very small. Questions about current polygamy practices are probably referencing one of these sects and not the LDS Church. The LDS Church did practice polygamy until 1890, and I can answer questions concerning our views on polygamy, but have little knowledge of the groups that currently practice polygamy. There are some statements floating that Mitt Romney's geneology includes a man fundamental in the decision to end the practice of polygamy, this is false.

Now again, I welcome any questions or clarification requests you may have.

Hey can you send me the book of Mormon?

Hey can you send me the book of Mormon?

Mormon.org - There is a link on this page to request a free copy. It also offers the entire Book of Mormon online.

Edit: Upon further inspection, it also offers a request for the KJV of the Bible for free with LDS footnotes and chapter headers, both online and hardcopy offered.

Edited by Bee Eff

Why do mormons find the word "Mormon" offensive?

I referred to my uncle as one once (I wasn't being sarcastic or mean) to which he took immediate offense to and asked me to not call him that again.

(he converted from Catholicism, ditched his wife and seven kids and started a new family in another state, btw, complete jerkoff, not that I blame mormons or anything, just saying)

Mormon.org - There is a link on this page to request a free copy. It also offers the entire Book of Mormon online.

Edit: Upon further inspection, it also offers a request for the KJV of the Bible for free with LDS footnotes and chapter headers, both online and hardcopy offered.

I can recomend the great pearl of price, tells things about Bro Moses, that are not in standard gosphels.

I don't think you will find a free copy though.

To Bee Eff, I have asked a few Mormans Where the Gold Plates are, And gotten conflicting reports, Some say Maroni took them off the earth, and some say They are still here Protected By the first group of Mormans, The ones who still practice Or believe in Poligamy, I have also heard the LDS are a splinter group off that group, Can You give any comment on these things?

I have not asked Father about this, Nor is itthat important,

Father has told That the Book is true, but just as the bible and all the Holy texts,Written in the Infancy of this world, is not complete, History is not Finished yet.

I would enjoy hearing your views on the things I asked my other morman bros.

Thanks.

Love Omnaka

I referred to my uncle as one once (I wasn't being sarcastic or mean) to which he took immediate offense to and asked me to not call him that again.

(he converted from Catholicism, ditched his wife and seven kids and started a new family in another state, btw, complete jerkoff, not that I blame mormons or anything, just saying)

Probable because the name was used as a means of making Mormons seem not to be Christians.

Mormons only read the book of Mormon not the bible which isn't true. I personally don't care one way or the other,

"Mormon" began as a derogatory term. It was used to slur our belief in the Book of Mormon. We typically do not mind the term. We have tried to distance ourselves from it somewhat to aid in the understanding that we are a Christian religion, albeit with a differing belief as to the nature of the Godhead (i.e. God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.) Some may be offended by the term "Mormon", but few are.

I am sorry to hear about your uncle. We view marriage and family as center to the purpose of existence prior to and following, as well as during, this life. The family is sacred to us even if it is not a marriage sealed in one of our temples. If his behavior was not justified by infidelity, or other very strong reason, we would consider him in error and possibly in danger of judgement on the day thereof.

Ok a couple of questions to start the ball rolling..

Is it true that your secret temple oaths are based on the Scottish Rite Masons.

Is it true before 1978 Mormons considered the Negro race inferior, and even one drop of Negro blood prevented a person from entering their priesthood.

Is it true that according to Anton Lavey's Satanic Bible, the demon god of the living dead is called "Mormo". Is it just a coincidence that the Mormons are so concerned with the dead?

Is it true that their Prophet Joseph Smith did not die as a martyr as they claim, but was killed during a gun battle in which he himself killed two men and wounded a third.

Is it true that Joseph Smith taught that there were inhabitants on the moon, and Brigham Young taught there were inhabitants on the sun as well!

sorry but one last thing.Is it true that Prophet Joseph Smith prophesied falsely many times. For example, he foretold the second coming of Christ for 1891. The Bible teaches that one false prophecy puts the prophet under death sentence. (Deuteronomy 18:20-22).

Thank you for you time in answering these. :tu:

All the Best

Irish

Are you the religion that can save your ancestors souls? (I think I have seen your genealogical links)

How does it save souls by knowing who you are related to?

Are you the religion that can save your ancestors souls? (I think I have seen your genealogical links)

yes

we do ordinances for the dead. such as baptism the dead can or can not accept the work done for them.

I can recomend the great pearl of price, tells things about Bro Moses, that are not in standard gosphels.

I don't think you will find a free copy though.

You could probably obtain a copy, but it would probably require a more direct request for it. Typically people are really only interested in the Book of Mormon.

To Bee Eff, I have asked a few Mormans Where the Gold Plates are, And gotten conflicting reports, Some say Maroni took them off the earth, and some say They are still here Protected By the first group of Mormans, The ones who still practice Or believe in Poligamy, I have also heard the LDS are a splinter group off that group, Can You give any comment on these things?

I have not asked Father about this, Nor is itthat important,

Father has told That the Book is true, but just as the bible and all the Holy texts,Written in the Infancy of this world, is not complete, History is not Finished yet.

I would enjoy hearing your views on the things I asked my other morman bros.

Thanks.

Love Omnaka

Where are the Golden Plates? LDS Doctrine is that Moroni took the Gold Plates back following the completion of the translation. Where he took them? I don't know. Yes, there is rumor that they are in the Church's vault somewhere in the mountains to the East of Salt Lake City, this is probably just that, rumor.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the original group of "Mormons." The first, and largest, offshoot occurred after Joseph Smith's death. Sidney Rigdon and Emma Smith claimed that Joseph Smith's oldest son was Prophet. They left the Church with a number of others and created what was known as the Reoganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, later becoming the Community of Christ and denying the need to believe in the Book of Mormon as a historical and inspired account. Their claim, as far as I am aware, was based on the story that Joseph offered Emma to right any request down and that when Joseph returned the request would be granted. Emma supposedly wrote that Joseph's son would succeed Joseph.

Following this, the next major schism was at the point of the Manifesto. At this point many groups splintered off holding that plural marriage should not have ended. These groups were very small and often dissorganized. Most died off, but a few remain.

All splinter groups claim to be the original, but any historian could affirm that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the original church to which the term "Mormon" is applied.

Do Mormons believe that they can one day become as God i.e a God in their own right.

Edited by openmindedscot

Do Mormons believe that they can one day become as God i.e a God in their own right.

Some can be yes.

God has already gone through this process.

Edited by danielost

Do Mormans, Or LDS Know That the Holy Spirit is Father's wife, and mother of all spirit In the universe?

Love Omnaka

Ok a couple of questions to start the ball rolling..

Is it true that your secret temple oaths are based on the Scottish Rite Masons.

There are some very slight similarities, but no, the ceremonies were present before any Masonic influence. For a time membership in the Mason organization was encouraged to aid in reducing the social stigma that we had gained. A few early leaders had been a part of the organization, but it did not relieve the social problems the LDS were having. Thus membership in the organization was no longer encouraged.

Is it true before 1978 Mormons considered the Negro race inferior, and even one drop of Negro blood prevented a person from entering their priesthood.
This is not true, although for quite some time Negroes were not ordained to the priesthood until 1978. Many cite this as evidence that we were racist, yet one of the problems that the people back east had with Mormons was that we were voting to end slavery. The LDS Church was one of the most forward thinking groups during this time. We have never considered Negroes inferior in any manner. I could find little explanation for the Negroes not having the priesthood prior to 1978, but I will search more.

Is it true that according to Anton Lavey's Satanic Bible, the demon god of the living dead is called "Mormo". Is it just a coincidence that the Mormons are so concerned with the dead?
I have never heard of this statement. Yes, it is just a coincidence as far as I know. We are concerned with the dead in that we believe our ancestors should have the same opportunities to join the Church that we have had. Temple ordinances are on the large part for and in behalf of the dead. We perform the Temple ordinances as well as baptism for and in behalf of the dead. These ordinances can only be performed by the living according to our belief. We thus perform the ordinances and the dead may choose to accept these ordinances or deny them.

I personally believe the period between death and the second coming is much like here, little absolute knowledge of God is gained and our beliefs remain the same as they do here. Missionary work occurs there and thus these ordinances must still be accepted to be valid.

Is it true that their Prophet Joseph Smith did not die as a martyr as they claim, but was killed during a gun battle in which he himself killed two men and wounded a third.
No, Joseph Smith died in Carthage Jail as a martyr. Yes, he fired a pistol, purportedly killing two men and injuring a third. Joseph Smith was shot twice in the back and once in the chest. I don't see how someone could claim that he did not die as a martyr.

Is it true that Joseph Smith taught that there were inhabitants on the moon, and Brigham Young taught there were inhabitants on the sun as well!
I believe the moonmen comments were based on scientific opinion of that time. If you do some research you will find that many scientists at that time believed the moon to be inhabited.

On a side note, and probably part of the continuation of such stories. We use the Sun, the moon and the stars as symbols of the three main divisions of heaven, termed "Degrees of Glory." Brigham Young's comments were to the idea that God resides on a planet near a sun given the Name "Kolob."

sorry but one last thing.Is it true that Prophet Joseph Smith prophesied falsely many times. For example, he foretold the second coming of Christ for 1891. The Bible teaches that one false prophecy puts the prophet under death sentence. (Deuteronomy 18:20-22).
There are claims to various "false prophecies." The one you reference is this:
D&C 130: 15-17

15 Joseph, my son, if thou livest until thou art eighty-five years old, thou shalt see the face of the Son of Man; therefore let this suffice, and trouble me no more on this matter.

16 I was left thus, without being able to decide whether this coming referred to the beginning of the millennium or to some previous appearing, or whether I should die and thus see his face.

17 I believe the coming of the Son of Man will not be any sooner than that time.

Most detractors only read verse 15. 16 and 17 bring the statement into context.

All false prophecy accusations that I am aware of ignore context or some aspect of the statement. They attack with having the complete quotation. Nost are as easy to show as false accusations as this.

We believe the work must be done for them, geneological records provide the names. Most of the temple work is family involved, sealing parents to children. Geneology allows for this to be done. As to the rest, I responded to this somewhat in my previous post.

'As man is, God once was; as God is, man may become.'"

We believe it is possible, whether it will? I do not know. For all I know perfection is required to attain such a state. We believe Adam was literally God's physical son in some manner. We also believe we are all literally the spirit children of God. We believe man is divine in potential.

Edit: Clarification, this does not imply God is not our God. Can your father cease to be your father? Our God cannot cease to be our God. Do not mistake our divine potential for some ability or desire to supplant.

Edited by Bee Eff

Do Mormans, Or LDS Know That the Holy Spirit is Father's wife, and mother of all spirit In the universe?

Love Omnaka

We believe the Holy Spirit to be another male figure in the Godhead, another son of God. We believe that there is a Heavenly Mother, we do not believe her role is that of the Holy Spirit.

We believe the Holy Spirit to be another male figure in the Godhead, another son of God. We believe that there is a Heavenly Mother, we do not believe her role is that of the Holy Spirit.

So another Male figure is The comfortor, Of God's children?

What do the LDS think Heavenly Mothers roll is In the God head, What do they think she does, While Father is Taking care Of buisness?

Love Omnaka

Edited by Omnaka

So another Male figure is The comfortor, Of God's children?

Love Omnaka

Yes, in our belief, the Comforter is another male figure. He is in the form of spirit without a physical body. It is a generally held belief, but not doctrine, that he may be the last of the spirits to attain a physical body.

Omnaka, do you see the resemblance I saw between what you've been saying and what mormons believe in?

Yes , As Iv'e said Father has not told them everything, Nore have any of the earlier religions Known all.

The Father and Mother of all spirit(GOD) is the same God in all religions.

If one blasphemes anothers God, he blasphemes his own, For there is only One.

I can understand why you might think I was A Morman though.

My religion, and way of life is like that Of father, Unconditional love, and understanding, I'm not perfect at this love, While incarnate But try with all my Might.

Love Omnaka

Yes , As Iv'e said Father has not told them everything, Nore have any of the earlier religions Known all.

The Father and Mother of all spirit(GOD) is the same God in all religions.

If one blasphemes anothers God, he blasphemes his own, For there is only One.

I can understand why you might think I was A Morman though.

My religion, and way of life is like that Of father, Unconditional love, and understanding, I'm not perfect at this love, While incarnate But try with all my Might.

We have4 some similar beliefs, But They believe In a diferent Doctrin. UNconditional love is just that, unconditional, God loves all Gods children, and Judgement is passed by the individual spirit, Not Father, and After this world one will be chosen to incarnate on one of the worlds given The sons Of God who have graduated, it's a mutual choice, between the sopirit and son Given the world.

Love Omnaka

Thank you for your reply, just a couple more questions.

Was Joseph Smith not convicted prior to the formation of LDS for selling grass seed that only grew three inches?

Could you tell me about the Mountain Meadows Massacre in which Mormons brutally murdered an innocent wagon train of settlers, of over one hundred men, women, and most of the children, traveling through Utah.

Is it true that LDS believe the Archangel Michael came down to earth with several of his celestial wives, and became Adam in the garden of Eden.

What about the Mormon belief that that they believe the angel Gabriel came down to earth and became Noah in the days of the flood.

Is it true that within your Salt Lake City Temple LDS prominently display an upside-down star which is a known Satanic symbol the Goat's head. Why?

Thank you

Irish

I got a question...

Is it true that the tablets or whatever Joseph Smith found were of Egyptian origin?

(the reason I ask is because I ran into some Mormons going door to door and they told me they were)