Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

OUIJI: How does it work?

RelicHunter

Hey everyone. I've never used an ouiji board and I don't know if I really believe it. Can someone give me a site or explain it to me on how they actually work? I mean it's a mass produced game so how can it really contact spirits. Also what makes it able that they're able to communate so good with it and not communate so good by other forms? I've read some of the stories with using the ouiji board and they are pretty scary and interesting. I understand maybe using an old one or a wooden one but how would the one that you can pick up at toys r us be real?

Thanks for your help!

Excellent questions. The skeptics here will say they DON'T work and that, at best, the users are fooling themselves because automatisms like the ouija board use ideomotor responses, unconscious involuntary muscle twitches, which causes the traveller to move across the board, or at worst, "someone is pushing".

Semi-skeptics like myself will agree those are valid and will also go so far as to say probably what most people "contact" is just some facet of themselves, though it may claim all manner of identities, and I also believe there is a possibility, though rare, that this facet may be able to use some limited psi abilities *which belong to one or more of the users* - an extension of the ideomotor idea. On the outside, a possible group or "mini collective" of all the users' unconscious may be constructed during board use, which could make for quite an interesting "entity".

Full on spiritualists and true believers will, as you know, tell you it is of course the spirits of the dead, or angels, or aliens, or animals, or the ever popular demons.

This site's forums and Ghosts.Org's Ouija Page and their Links page both have good resources on this subject, as well as the Museum of Talking Boards

and I even have a little writeup on my own site, which you can find in my signature. Other links: Grave Addiction's Ouija Board Stories and Information, Skeptic's Dictionary - Ouija, DJ McAdam's Ouija Page, Crystal Links Ouija Page, Pagan Path's Ouija Page, Aspects' Ouija Page, CSICOP's Ouija Page.

If you want to know how it works, then use a web search engine.

HOWEVER, I strongly discourage you from attempting to use it.

It will unleash evil spirits that will haunt you. I would't experiment

with such things. It is dangerous. Evil spirits exist, and they are

haunting! Trust me, you don't want to get involved!

Then again, you could try it, get possesed just a little, and then go

get help from a church or something. But again, I discourage you from

doing that.

Q- how can a spirit posses you without you wanting it to?

Also, are you opening a channel to speak with spirits or a door way for them to enter our "reality"?

Edited by Anakim

first off, norman, i love your avatar!!!!!!

secondly, i really don't think that you can necissarily be possessed by the oiuja board but i strongly urge people not to bother. whether it is the person moving it or not, it can really play with your mind, and i don't think that is 100 per cent healthy for someone, especially if they are searching for answers from a dearly departed or someone with mental health issues.

I have used the Ouija board and it is really weird. One time my sister was missing and the Ouija board told us where she was! It doesn't feel like your pushing it. It even feels like you're resisting it a little

Here in the UK we had a program not long back that caused a big stir called "Derren Brown: Seance" which a seance was performed where a group of people supposedly contacted a dead person who'd killed themselves in the place they did the seance.

In fact Derren Brown had said stuff which made them psychologically "contact" this person, thus showing that seances are a bit dodgy - you could take part in the seance at the same time at home, in which you made a ouija board out of scraps of paper.

Tons of people at home said something happened to them, proving the hype that can get caught up with this type of thing!

Ames original.gif

Hope that was helpful! original.gif

A quiji is real simple, it is a little plastic tripod with a board at one end and an idiot at the other! whistling2.gif

DO NOT USE IT!!!! IT'S EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND YOU WILL PROBABLY OPEN A DOOR TO LET DEMONS INTO YOUR HOUSE!!!

Oh PLEASE

Everyone knows ouija is all in the mind.....

Ifyou're determined to do a ouija just do it and get it out of your system, then get on with your life thats not plagued by demons...

Ames original.gif

just approach it with a clear mind and calm attitude and make out for yourself what ensues wink2.gif

If youre scared about the results I wouldn't do it cos something could happen (i.e. your mind could push the glass without you being conciously aware) and then you could be seriously freaked out and stuff, it could mess up your head, so I would advise if you're scared about the results don't do it, if you couldn't care less... go for it original.gif

Let us know what happens if you do!

Ames original.gif

yeah. tell us if anything happens or not thumbsup.gif

Considering that Hasbro sells about 25,000 of these things a year, and we have yet to experience any sort of mass demonic invasion, I would suspect that these things do not work as advertised (unless you refer to the small box with the "Item not intended for use other than entertainment").

Everyone knows ouija is all in the mind.....

Apparently not everyone tongue.gif

I've tried it and got some amazing results (four hours of moving planchette and with one of my most trusted friends). We encountered no problems though we haven't done it for ages - just sort of lost interest.

Well, even if it is all in the mind, some people have had some mad experiences. Regardless of whether its in the mind or the paranormal - it doesn't appear safe (well, at least for some people - I know quite a few who have had no problems).

original.gif

Potholer

Anybody ever try that paper home made ouiji board that uses a pen and thread that you hold on to. and when the pen is "posessed" you ask the entity a question, and it answers by pointing the letters or numbers you're wrote at the boundaries of the paper.

I've tried it several times. Though tiring kinda creeps me out. Oh yeah, I have yet to discover a spirit that tells the truth! laugh.gif I've tried asking for the questions that might come out in the upcoming exams and it ends up lying to me. w00t.gif I have even tried asking it to turn clockwise of anti clockwise to tell me if they are really there. Sometimes I'm afraid it might spin out of control and might stab me or somethign so I've stopped playing around with it.

Oh yeah...I found out there's a spirit stalking me w00t.gif

What does the spirit say to you?

Is it friendly or not?

Is it male/female/child or something else?

Ames original.gif

Relic Hunter, For Heaven's Sakes, DON'T MESS WITH OUIJI BOARDS!!! BURN THE THING IMMEDIATELTY!!!

Look, I don't know exactly what makes Ouiji Boards work, well, I have MORE THAN just a GOOD IDEA what controls their pointers, and it's bad!!! The question of how they work is irrelevant!!! The problem is, people like yourself, (people WITHOUT The Experience and The Proper Protection,) can open the doors to ALL MANNER Of Evil Spirits with Ouiji Boards and The Spirits that you'll call upon yourself will torment YOU!!! Believe me,,,I know!!!

DON'T SNEER!!! Anyone who is knowledgeable in this matter and is old enough to have the life experience will tell you the same thing!!!

If you want to dabble with divining the future, make a Pendulum and dowse the answers to your questions. (If you don't know about these, E-mail me and I will send you directions and information.) Pendulums work by using your own "Psi Abilities" that manafest in The Pendulum swinging on it's string in a certain manner. Whichever direction it swings will give you "Yes" and "No" answers to your questions.

Ouiji Boards harness forces that are evil and they are VERY, VERY DANGEROUS! Somehow they wound up being sold on The Game Aisles in your local Department Store, BUT THEY ARE NOT GAMES OR TOYS! Take My Word For It!!!

The ONLY WAY to get rid of a Ouiji Board is to BURN IT!!! MAX, AND ANYONE ELSE WHO READS THIS,,,IF YOU HAVE A OUIJI BOARD, BURN IT!!! DON'T KEEP IT!!! DON'T BREAK IT!!! DON'T THROW IT INTO THE GARBAGE!!! DON'T GIVE IT AWAY!!! BURN IT!!!

This Is A Warning From The Wise!!! I urge you to take my advice!!!

Edited by David_Cubero

Yeh and your mind also unconsciously tells the glass to move on a ouija board too

You can have yes or no on the ouija board too.

And your mind can do anything it wants really if it decides it wants to con you in this way.

My Whole Point Of Reccommeding The Pendulum Is That It IS NOTHING LIKE A Ouiji Board,,,AND THAT'S A GOOD THING!!! That IS my point Gamron!

As I stated before, Ouiji boards ARE NOT TOYS! They CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS Portals for Emense Evil, and by merely toying with them, you can invite this evil into your life.

Hey people, I'm speaking from experience here! Take it from a 42 year old man that once practised VERY BLACK Majiks, (about 21 years ago,) and I am here to warn you of what Ouiji Boards can do.

You're partly right though. Your mind does control the pendulum,,,but NOT in the way that YOU implied. The Pendulum is a FANTASTIC medium through which to develope your own Psychic Abilities. If you use a Pendulum correctly, you will be using The Psi Portion of your Brain, NOT your consciousness or subconsciousness. You'll be in a realm beyond that.

I have used The Pendulum, The Divining Rods and Forked Wooden Branches since my childhood, I had a Great-Uncil who taught me these techniques. I am around 97% accurate with all of my predictions using The Pendulum, which is my favorite method of Dowsing.

There are litterally thousands of things that you can do with The Pendulum, and it doesn't come with it's own built in, complementary'Resident Evil" like The Ouiji Board does!

You can ask, for example:

"Is it going to rain at my house tomorrow?" The pendulum answers "No."

"Okay, will it be Sunny all day at my house?' The pendulum again answers "No."

"Will the temperature be over 90 degrees F. tomorrow at my house?" The Pendulum answers "No."

"Will the temperature be over 80 degrees F. tomorrow at my house?" The Pendulum says "No."

"Will the temperature be over 70 degrees F. tomorrow at my house?" The pendulum swings "Yes" this time.

Therefore, the forecast for precisely where you live for tomorrow is, "Partly to mostly cloudy skies, with a high in the 70's F., and NO chance of rain."

You can narrow The temperature down even further by asking, " Will The Temperature be above 75 degrees F. at my house tomorrow?' The Pendulum says "No."

"Will the temperature be 74 degrees F. at my house tomorrow?" The pendulum tells you "no."

"Will the temperature be 73 degrees F. at my house tomorrow?" The pendulum answers "Yes."

Now your forecast sounds like this: "Partly to Mostly Cloudy for tomorrow, with a high of 73 degrees F. There's NO chance of rain in the forecast."

Of course you can get a Weather Forecast from The Radio or Television in the 21st century, but I am just using weather forecasting as an example. However, The Pendulum, I can assure you, is MORE accurate than The Meteorologists.

Another example:

You can also use a map and divine where the next Earthquake, Tornado, Hurricane, Volcano OR ANY OTHER Natural or Man-Made Disaster of your choice will strike. You can use a Calendar to pinpoint the date, and even a clock face to determine the exact time that the event will occur. After you have divined your answer, just sit back and wait. It WILL happen just as your pendulum told you!!!

NOTE: This takes practise! LOTS OF PRACTISE AND FINE-TUNING YOUR OWN TECHNIQUES AND PSYCHIC ABILITIES! You won't be this accurate to begin with, but in time you WILL BE!

The Pendulum can be used in a number of cool ways to learn about virtually ANY future event, it can find lost items, it can be used to do your Zodiac Charts, it even serves as a powerful Lie Detector. Best of all, it works by tapping into YOUR OWN Psychic Energies. It's NOT simply a "yes" or "no" toy! Trust me!

Ouija boards, pendulums, cards or any other type of device to call upon spirits are a tool. Unless you are experienced in dealing with the spirit realm, do not use tools.

They aren't there to help you develop your ability. People will say, it helps me focus. Any tool will staginate psychic ability growth.

Plus these tools are doors. Would you open your front door & hang out a sign, all welcome to come into your home? That is what you are doing with tools. Inviting every level of spirits into your home and or around you. If you aren't experience in dealing with spirits then don't. Most honest, psychic mediums will tell you, stay away from tools. Learn to use your own natural abilities.

I've heard over & over again, if it was so dangerous, then they wouldn't have it in the game isle. Company is only interested in making money, draws people to the game section, they buy the ouija board and other games. It is for $$$$$$ that they allow it.

Ghostly, read my post in MY thread. It will explain why I am such a Pendulum Fan.

However, I must respectfully disagree that the pendulum is a portal and is on the same level with Ouiji's and Tarot Cards. I agree that Tarots are equally a trap. and doorways, like Ouiji Boards are!!! But dowsing is a totally different matter, in my opinion. I suppose, however, that ANYTHING can be misused. dontgetit.gif

I take it that most of these are young people, and I'd rather steer them toward playing with Pendulums than to see them playing with Ouiji Boards.

I also agree with you that the sales of Ouiji Boards on The Game Aisles of Toy Stores is all about $$$$! mad.gif It's a crying shame!!! crying.gif