Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia could build manned lunar base

Waspie_Dwarf

Russia could build manned lunar base - academician

The federal space agency Roscosmos has launched a feasibility study of a project to build a manned base on the Moon, Academician Lev Zelyony, director of the Russian Academy of Sciences' Space Research Institute, said on Friday.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo

For the sake of science, I hope this actually works out.

Let's start another space-race.

First one to build a manned lunar space station wins. :D

• Like 3

I couldn't agree more.

Actually, let's not.

The last space race resulted in unnecessary duplication of resources. The rush for each side to be first led to the deaths of the Apollo 1 crew of Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee for the USA and to Vladimir Komarov, commander of Soyuz 1 for the Soviet Union.

The ISS demonstrates the advantages of working together. Let's learn that lesson and explore the Moon together.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo
  • Like 4

I couldn't agree more.

Actually, let's not.

The last space race resulted in unnecessary duplication of resources. The rush for each side to be first led to the deaths of the Apollo 1 crew of Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee for the USA and to Vladimir Komarov, commander of Soyuz 1 for the Soviet Union.

The ISS demonstrates the advantages of working together. Let's learn that lesson and explore the Moon together.

You have a good point, Waspie.

On top of the unnecessary risk of lives - these aren't just any people, but people who have gone through months and months of training..

You have to have a very sharp mind in order to be an astronaut, as well..

If a lunar base could operate similarly to the ISS, that'd be good.

I imagine the ISS would be used to transport supplies like food and water to any astronauts on a lunar base in the future.

Kind of like a rest-stop. ;)

Edited by Hatake Kakashi
  • Like 1

We should had the Moon base by 2001 instead of wasting all those billions of dollars on stupid wars for the last forty years.

• Like 1

We should had the Moon base by 2001 instead of wasting all those billions of dollars on stupid wars for the last forty years.

I don't disagree with you.

If all of humanity pooled their resources together instead of competing, we could see some major scientific advancements.

Although competition helps to keep technology on its toes.

• Like 1

As soon as they figure out a financial or military advantage to having a base on the moon it will happen over the course of just a few years. Wasn't there as discussion a while back about minig helium3?

build one on the darkside XD

As soon as they figure out a financial or military advantage to having a base on the moon it will happen over the course of just a few years.

That is a rather cynical view. Much scientific research and exploration is undertaken with neither military or financial advantage being the goal. The ISS and the Large Hadron Collider, polar exploration and the ascent of Everest immediately come to mind.

It is in man's nature to explore, whether that be physically exploring new frontiers or pushing the limits of scientific knowledge. A return to the Moon is inevitable, it is a matter of when, not if.

Wasn't there as discussion a while back about minig helium3?

At the moment Helium-3 is a red herring. It may have a use in fusion reactors in the future. Most most experts believe that working fusion reactors are still fifty years away. Currently 3He has no practical use and therefore no commercial value. It is possible that I will live long enough to see Lunar mining, but it is unlikely that it will be 3He that will be mining for.

build one on the darkside XD

Pink Floyd tracks apart, there is no such thing as "the darkside of the Moon". All parts of the Moon (except some craters at the poles) experience night and day.

If, however, you mean the far side then I have to ask, "why?"

There are some advantages to the far side, it is shielded from Earth's radio transmissions and so would be a good place for radio telescopes, but this could be done without having a manned base. In fact the radio transmissions from a manned base would remove some of the advantages of having the telescopes there to begin with.

There is one big problem with a far side base, it is permanently pointing away from Earth making direct communications impossible. Such a base would require the added complication (and therefore costs) of communications satellites place in the L2 Lagrange point.

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more.

Actually, let's not.

JFK was the last one to try that and look what happened to him!

JFK was the last one to try that and look what happened to him!

????

JFK tired what?

How is his assassination anything to do with lunar exploration?

Your comment makes no sense that I can determine.

• Like 1

Pink Floyd tracks apart, there is no such thing as "the darkside of the Moon". All parts of the Moon (except some craters at the poles) experience night and day.

If, however, you mean the far side then I have to ask, "why?"

There are some advantages to the far side, it is shielded from Earth's radio transmissions and so would be a good place for radio telescopes, but this could be done without having a manned base. In fact the radio transmissions from a manned base would remove some of the advantages of having the telescopes there to begin with.

There is one big problem with a far side base, it is permanently pointing away from Earth making direct communications impossible. Such a base would require the added complication (and therefore costs) of communications satellites place in the L2 Lagrange point.

yeah was just a ink floyd pun XD sorry waspie

????

JFK tired what?

How is his assassination anything to do with lunar exploration?

Your comment makes no sense that I can determine.

Ugggg Kennedy proposed sharing the moon race with the Russians

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/kennedy-proposes-joint-mission-to-the-moon

There are hundreds of things any given president decides that could be cited as reasons for someone wanting and even having strong motive to assassinate. Proves nothng.

There are hundreds of things any given president decides that could be cited as reasons for someone wanting and even having strong motive to assassinate. Proves nothng.

Wow you're a laugh a minute aren't you? My original post was a joke, my second a link to the story to clear up some confusion about history.

I think the Russians will be able to do this faster then us Americans

Certainly seems they are financially in better shape

Certainly seems they are financially in better shape

In theory, but with their corruption with money how much of any money they can afford will go on the project?

Edited by skookum
  • Like 1

First one to build a manned lunar space station wins. :D

Well, let no-one forget the Chinese have already stated they want a base on the moon, so did the Japanese in fact, and if the Chinese plans go well they could be landing a probe by the end of this year

quote: ""The decision by the Obama administration in 2010 to abandon NASA's plans to return to the moon has presented an opportunity for China, which some experts say could allow them to become the second nation to put a man on the moon by 2020".

http://edition.cnn.c...pace/index.html

So yes a joint effort will be best but who knows how it will pan out? Besides, its all well and good having plans, but the issue of dealing with the moon dust is quite a hurdle. It may just be dust - but its a number 1 hazard in a lot of respects

quote:

"Fortunately for the astronauts, their contact with lunar dust was short enough that it didn't cause any major problems. But explorers living on a moon base for weeks or even months at a time are not likely to get away so clean".

Under prolonged exposure, the explorers would be at risk for everything from mechanical failures in spacesuits and airlocks to lung disease, said researchers last week at a NASA workshop focused on the issue.

http://www.wired.com...s/2005/04/67110

typos

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

I would love to be a part of a lunar base. How cool.

I couldn't agree more.

Actually, let's not.

The last space race resulted in unnecessary duplication of resources. The rush:-) ,

for each side to be first led to the deaths of the Apollo 1 crew of Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee for the USA and to Vladimir Komarov, commander of Soyuz 1 for the Soviet Union.

The ISS demonstrates the advantages of working together. Let's :-) :-) :-) that lesson and explore the Moon together.

We'll have to the usa doesn't have a launch rocket big enough.hey on't have the money.

We'll have to the usa doesn't have a launch rocket big enough.hey on't have the money.

Actually no one currently has a rocket large enough, but NASA is working on the Space Launch System, which will be the most powerful launcher ever constructed and SpaceX is working on the Falcon Heavy. With in the next 5-6 years the USA will have two rockets large enough.

As for Russia not having the money, that is no longer true. It is an oil and gas rich nation. Roscosmos is no longer struggling financially as it was a decade ago. The Russians are currently working on a new manned spacecraft to replace the Soyuz and the Angara family of launchers to replace several of it's older launch vehicles. It is also working on a Saturn V class launch vehicle.

The Russian problem at the moment is not money it is reliability. NASA had similar problems a few years back. Just as NASA solved these problems so will Roscosmos.

Whilst I personally believe a joint programme of exploration would be preferable, the Russians don't need the USA and the USA does not need Russia.