Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

how to write about mysteries

spursfan

I love mysteries of all sorts, from the yeti, through the shroud of turin to jack the ripper. I would love to be a writer about these things. I know many people want to be a writer and why am i so special but i would like some advice.

How can i go about being a writer ?. Advice and help would be most welcome

• Like 1

I love mysteries of all sorts, from the yeti, through the shroud of turin to jack the ripper. I would love to be a writer about these things. I know many people want to be a writer and why am i so special but i would like some advice.

The simplest and most direct way of becoming a mystery writer is to just do it. Create a website or a blog and just start investigating and/or writing about the mysteries you love. The more you do the better you will become. Just be sure that you know about the dangers of plagerism and adequately reference your sources.

Remember what a cross-dressing mad scientist once said: Don't dream it. Be it!

franknfurter.jpg

• Like 2

Use imagination that is the key to mysteries in my opinion..

Use imagination that is the key to mysteries in my opinion..

Hang around the site reading eyewitness accounts of encounters with the paranormal. More than half of them are pretty obviously fictional - there should be some good writing tips scattered about.

So, are you talking about non-fiction writing? The simplest advice I could give would be to just write. It takes a lot of practice before you are able to fashion something that is worthy of a reader's time and money. Sadly, there are no quick fixes. Read articles and look at how they are put together. Think of an interesting subject and write an article about it.

just write like there's no tomorrow..

Don't worry about spelling or punctuation or anything untill you've finished it. Then go back and do all the checks and corrections you need to do line by line.. have a general plot, theme, and maby even a table of contects written first as a general guide, then go for it.. There can be nothing more fulfilling than getting a story out, but if you fuss over spelling and punctuation while you are writing it the flow tends to stop and it decomes less enjoyable.

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

never start your story with 'it was a cold and rainy night'

never start your story with 'it was a cold and rainy night'

When I was a young boy, my father always started a scary story with this sentence:

(Dutch:) Aan de zoom van het woud stond een grote eik...

(English:) At the edge of the forest stood a large oak...

And when he started his latest story with that sentence, I always pulled the sheets up to just below my eyes as a precaution for the scary sh1t that always followed. Well, I was only like 5 or 6 years old.

Edited by Abramelin

I have recently myself begun writing a book on demonic haunting and possession. I simply started researching anything that a saw fit and i am taking it bit by bit.

But like previously mentioned, do be careful of copyright laws. I've been sure to mention where i got the information from.

And Good luck may I add.

• 2 weeks later...

You're asking to be misunderstood, to be alone much of the tyme--if not downright lonely!--and you'll find out how much self-decipline you have to make yourself sit and write every day even especially when you dont want to....but you'll find what is called "your voice" should you keep at it. Bon chance, monsieur!

• 2 weeks later...

Writing is not just about putting pen to paper.

If your thinking of being a fully fledged writer you need to have an advanced literary degree. You would need to attend university for that. Many local colleges won't have it on their curriculum.

Then you need sources especially if it's a thriller or even speculative fiction. So a good range of contacts is handy. Journalism is a good career to acquire this wealth of knowledge from the experts.

The best place to start is fan fiction where you can work off established characters.

However it's a different story working with a blank canvas when they come out of your imagination.

You can even have a crack at being a scriptwriter because that could lead you to a writing career.

You also need to brush up on your grammar and make sure it's mistake free before you come to publish.

I've got the same aspirations but I'll probably fall at the first hurdle.