Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How will humans become extinct ?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#46    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:06 AM

Cobra? Plausible. But it could be something as mundane as Vogons destroying the planet to make way for a hyperspatial express route.

where's that paranoid android when you need him?

#47    HecticSherlock

HecticSherlock

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

• "I hate having to jump into convo's, idea's, or subjects without prior knowledge or facts to back me up..but if religion can do it!"

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

View Postredhen, on 27 April 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

Cobra? Plausible. But it could be something as mundane as Vogons destroying the planet to make way for a hyperspatial express route.

where's that paranoid android when you need him?
Sorry it's out of commision, we haven't fully configured it's ability to successfully graps human emotions..it seems to be stuck on depression.. we'll have to work on that :whistle:

Art of Survival~

Posted Image

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" Epicurus

#48    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,274 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

Several people have said that it would be very difficult to completely eliminate humanity.  I'm not so sure.  Some specially designed microbe could do the trick -- seeking out everyone no matter where they are and having multiple means of attack so no one's immune system succeeds.  Or maybe a microbe that turns people into homicidal maniacs.

Thermonuclear war could also do the trick if the bombs were especially made to create radiation levels far above what most of these bombs create -- thereby poisoning the entire planet for thousands of years.

These seem unlikely, but from some of the suicidal behaviors of religious groups we've seen and from the widespread beliefs in things like imminent Armageddon, I can imagine some group doing something like this in order to "do God's work."  Right now the technology almost certainly does not exist, but as knowledge advances, who know what someone might be able to cook up in their garage fifty or a hundred years from now.

At a minimum, I think some attention should be paid to the psychology and sociology of religious fanaticism and ways of identifying its causes and preventing it.  I see it as a dangerous mental disease.

#49    Nefer-Ankhe

Nefer-Ankhe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

• "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

An apocalyptic plague, Zombies! :o  Just play 'Red Dead Redemption, Undead Nightmare', to get the insights...

"It is of course the height of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers."

--- from Amarna Sunset, Aidan Dodson.

#50    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,837 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

I don't think we will be extinct per se.  I'm pretty sure regardless of what the rest of the world does the Kalahari Bushmen and who knows how many remote Amazon Jungle tribes (amongst others) will be around to tell tales to their children around the camp fires at night about the strange shiny birds that roared through the skies and great battle of the Gods that darkened the days for weeks on end sending ash and smoke to the ends of the Earth and perhaps cold dark winters that never seemed to end for entire generations.

Maybe they'll have better luck in their new world without us to pollute and abuse it.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#51    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,249 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 24 April 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

No. Religion can cause a lot of misery, but it won´t do the entire species in. That needs something more drastic. Nature has plenty in store.

Religion could do the entire species in if both sides decide to fight it out. But I think nature is our biggest threat too.
The dinosaurs had been on this planet for a lot longer than we have, nature wiped them out.
We can see what a change in temperature can do even on a small scale, where today most people rely on technology to keep them alive, eg: heating, cooling devices, clean running water etc, if there was a disaster on a grand scale the majority will die purely because they no longer have any natural survival instincts left. If there was to be any chance of survival then only those who have not lost their instincts and respect for nature (and I do not mean in a 'I love flowers" way) may have a chance to survive, but it all depends on what we are up against and who and what is left for the survival of the human race to continue.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#52    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

Only slightly off topic but:

I was wondering if anyone has seen the documentary "Aftermath population zero" Ever wondered what the world would be like without any humans? Link

It's brilliant, well done and extremely well thought out..

Posted Image

#53    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,249 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Not seen it, but will definitely look for it. Would be interesting to see what they think it would be like cos I can`t see how we would know, any new kinds of species could start life on Earth after us, we came after the dinosaurs, so who knows what could come after us? Something which can survive in a possible new atmospheric condition, mutant animals, what about all the other animals on this planet? we are not the only ones so who knows, just because humans may not be able to survive, other species may.
But thanks for that, really want to see it.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#54    Orkid

Orkid

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

zombies!!!!!

#55    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,645 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

virus first ... then we'll all live as zombies ... that will be the sequel

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#56    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,548 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:07 AM

I don`t think we will become extint if we find another planet to live on,there are so may ways our Earth can be completely destroyed.

#57    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,274 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:40 AM

View Postdocyabut2, on 11 May 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

I don`t think we will become extint if we find another planet to live on,there are so may ways our Earth can be completely destroyed.
That may be so, but all those ways are extremely unlikely and most of them preventable, so even if we don't find other planets, the destruction of the earth any time in the next half billion years is not in the cards.

#58    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,622 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

If we go extinct I'd have to guess it's a 10 mile wide meteor followed by one or more devastating aftereffects [tribes of starving cannibals hunting other tribes (of cannibals)].   Humans are more survivable in pockets than just about anything but bacteria and roaches (and Keith Richards).  If there was a global agriculture drop-off due to radiation and climate change, it's conceivable that humans would feed on other humans at the most extreme need if populations exceeded approaching-zero food supplies.  A large meteor impact followed up by zombies, barren in nearly childless villages with those lucky enough to give birth having defective children thanks to the inescapable radiation exposure, and there may still need to be a major 3rd event to wipe out the last pockets of survivors to reach extinction.  I don't think human extinction can happen from a volcano, flood, earthquake or any other earthen force of nature or mankind.

Edited by Yamato, 19 May 2013 - 09:52 AM.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#59    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostYamato, on 19 May 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

If we go extinct I'd have to guess it's a 10 mile wide meteor followed by one or more devastating aftereffects

A large enough impact wouldn't need any after effects to wipe us out, obviously. Here's a fun video showing a CG impact that simulates a much larger asteroid.

Edited by MysticStrummer, 19 May 2013 - 08:30 PM.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#60    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

That video is a little over 7 minutes long, but for some reason starts over at the point where the asteroid is just about to impact and runs for another couple of minutes.

Anyway, I'd say something like that or extreme climate change would be the only ways humans would become extinct. A microbe, natural or man made, wouldn't necessarily reach all humans.

When the sun dies, well the whole planet will go with it, but hopefully we'll be killing each other on other planets by then.

Edited by MysticStrummer, 19 May 2013 - 10:04 PM.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users