Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is feeding your children raw vegan diet nuts

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#31    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

View Postmike72, on 24 March 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

Yes, best post on this topic.
Let your kids be kids, treat them to pizza, even taking them to Mc donalds for the rare treat. Everything in moderation.
And who the hell names their kid Apple, LOL
Definitely!

Also, if I have children, I want them to try every possible food under the sun and to get them eating as varied a diet as possible, so they do not end up like me, pickiest of picky eaters who has serious problems with food, lol.

Posted Image

#32    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

View PostQueen in the North, on 24 March 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

Veganism is actually one of the few reasons health professionals do recommend supplements. Do you eat eggs to supply your body with specific vitamins such as B12, or for protein?
I eat the eggs because my friend gives them to me! Before she got her hens I didn't eat eggs(well, maybe a couple of times a year). Just out of interest: I have been tested for anaemia at odd times throughout my life but have never been found to have it.

Something else to take into consideration: whatever you put into your body, how much goodness(or damage) you get from it will depend on how efficient your body is at dealing with it ...... people vary in this.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#33    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

View PostQueen in the North, on 24 March 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

Definitely!

Also, if I have children, I want them to try every possible food under the sun and to get them eating as varied a diet as possible, so they do not end up like me, pickiest of picky eaters who has serious problems with food, lol.
And this will only happen if they see you eating 'every possible food under the sun'! If they see you picking at food or become aware that you are eating hardly at all then that is the lead they will follow. If not in early childhood then in their teens.

Edited by ouija ouija, 24 March 2013 - 11:56 PM.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#34    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 24 March 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

I eat the eggs because my friend gives them to me! Before she got her hens I didn't eat eggs(well, maybe a couple of times a year). Just out of interest: I have been tested for anaemia at odd times throughout my life but have never been found to have it.
Fair enough! :D Just wondered as I've heard of people being strict vegans apart from something such as eggs to make up for dietary deficiencies.

View Postouija ouija, on 24 March 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

And this will only happen if they see you eating 'every possible food under the sun'! If they see you picking at food or become aware that you are eating hardly at all then that is the lead they will follow. If not in early childhood then in their teens.
Oh, I know! I'm getting better, but it's a slow process and hard. I wouldn't want my hypothetical children to struggle with eating the way I have, so I'd want to do everything to get them eating a proper varied diet from the start.

Posted Image

#35    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

My comments below in bold green ....... again :)

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 24 March 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

No, it isn't.  Do you realise the harm you are doing by only eating raw food?

Vegans persist in thinking that eating only raw food is good for you because they believe it is "natural".  After all, aren't animals SUPPOSED to eat only raw food?

In fact scientists such as evolutionary biologists are now of the opinion that humans have been used to eating cooked food for such a long time - a few million years - that the human body now needs cooked food to stay healthy.  Evolution has caused us to need cooked food.
Up until 100/150 years ago only a small proportion of a person's food would be cooked(speaking very generally, obviously, conditions around the world varying greatly). I wonder if we now eat such a tremendous volume of food in the West because so much of what we eat has literally had the life cooked out of it? We keep stuffing more and more food in but it doesn't satisfy for long because there's so little value in it and so the body keeps demanding more.

Studies have suggested that eating meat and COOKING food made us human, enabling the brains of our prehuman ancestors to grow dramatically over a period of a few million years, making us the extremely intelligent species we are today.  It would have been biologically implausible for humans to evolve such a large brain on a raw, vegan diet and that meat-eating was a crucial element of human evolution at least 1 million years before the dawn of homo sapiens.
And you believe this to be a good thing? (Actually, this explains a lot! I would like to read more about this; can you tell me your source of information, please?)

Denise Minger wrote about the dangers of eating only raw food in her book "Raw Gone Wrong, When the Honeymoon is Over":

"…Almost without fail, the beginning of the diet yields a brilliant honeymoon phase—filled with surging energy, renewed vigor, and zest for your lively cuisine.

But somewhere down the line—months for some people, years for others—the wonder starts to wane. Maybe you start feeling like something is inexplicably missing. Maybe your energy takes a dive and noontime naps become the norm. Maybe your weight loss plateaus. Maybe your last dentist visit wasn’t so pretty. Maybe those niggly health problems you had prior to raw—aches and pains, lethargy, allergies, arthritis, skin conditions—start resurfacing out of nowhere. Whatever the reason, raw just doesn’t seem to be working as well as it did in the beginning. Your enthusiasm diminishes, and in its place comes doubt, discontentment, and a plethora of questions.

In other words, you start seeing raw foods’ freaky nose hairs and you begin to wonder: what did I get myself into?

My own raw honeymoon ended around the one-year mark. Intermittent fatigue, dental woes, hair loss, concentration problems, and some not-so-happy blood test results forced me to rethink the dietary regimen I was so tightly clutching. During this time, I started scouting out the counsel and wisdom of other disgruntled rawbies. What I discovered was this “honeymoon end” was a common phenomenon among raw foodists, and that its occurrence usually led to two things:

1. an expulsion from the raw community for being a dissenter or pot-stirrer for doubting the diet, and
2. a foray into other dietary regimens, such as paleo, low-carb, cooked vegan, macrobiotic, or ayurvedic."
When vegans/vegetarians 'give up' on the diet it's usually because they have no interest in/feeling for, animal rights. I would guess that this is what happened to Ms. minger ....... she missed her steak and bacon etc and it was probably just too much of a faff when visiting friends and relatives who weren't on the diet. All the symptoms she mentions could easily be attributed to other problems other than diet.

#36    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,063 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

I would love to see raw vegans surviving without fancy fruits and vegetables from all around the world, and eating only whats growing, for example, on British islands soil, or better what was available there, say in XII century. I'm 100% sure nature would remove them from gene pool quite effectively and very naturally :whistle:

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#37    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,244 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

you animals!!! vegans eat and kill all those innocent carrots and greens that had whole lives ahead of them!! :su :su :passifier: :passifier:

#38    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Pirate

• 5,156 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

I am not a fan of encouraging your kids to be vegan, but look at the plus side of what they are doing. They are not filling their kids with all that processed crap that most of the country does. We are so set in our ways when it comes to food it is frightening.

I would rather a vegan child that avoided most of the crap on our supermarket shelves than a meat eater living on ready meals. For me the only downside of eating well and being more careful of how you source your food is the extra cost it incurs.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#39    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

One problem I don't see mentioned in all the above is the fact that medical science does not know about all the nutrients we need or that are helpful.  There are probably thousands of micronutrients that our bodies can use when available for optimal health, and whenever we restrict our diet to only certain things we increase the chance of missing these.  Most of these probably come from raw veggies and fresh fruits and nuts, which should therefore be included, but others require cooking to be released or come from starches and dairy and fish and eggs and meats.

Attention should therefore mainly go into variety and completeness in what we eat, not in what we avoid.  About the only thing I think we should seriously avoid is all the sugar water -- both soft drinks and fruit juices with all the fructose.

Vitamin D supplementation is now widely recommended because the only real way to get it is either from living in a tropical climate and going outdoors a lot or drinking fortified milk.

#40    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 March 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

Vitamin D supplementation is now widely recommended because the only real way to get it is either from living in a tropical climate and going outdoors a lot or drinking fortified milk.
And eating oily fish.

Posted Image

#41    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Pirate

• 5,156 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

I think we forget how robust people are, throughout history I doubt many types of people have consumed all the nutrients needed for 'optimum' health so looking for a diet of this type may be impossible...

One thing this thread could be leading to though is another reason why Neanderthals died out, they where vegans...  ;)

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#42    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

My entire family grew up drinking unpasteurized whole milk and none of us got sick or died from drinking it. Of course, I am now older than the hills and the government tells us everything we did as children was unhealthy.

#43    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,850 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 24 March 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Of course, humans aren't supposed to be vegetarians.  Humans are omnivores not herbivores.  This means that the healthiest diet for the human body is an omnivorous diet of both vegetables AND meat, not one or the other.

What these stupid parents don't realise is that whilst their vegan diet may be making them and their kids feel healthier, such an effect is only a short-term effect.  Over the long-term, however, such a diet eventually causes problems.

And what are the health problems caused by a vegan diet?  Here they are:
  • inadequate milk production for nursing mothers, as well as retarded physical and mental development in some children who are strictly on a vegan or raw food diet (someone especially needs to let the parents in that article know about this);
  • slow metabolism leading to a much less robust lifestyle;
  • a general lack of vitality;
  • low body temperature (always cold);
  • a weak, touchy digestive system with a loss of digestive strength (unable to metabolize food quickly, have to be careful what you eat, how much, must practice food combining to be able to digest food, etc.);
  • food cravings (especially among women);
  • stalled weight loss because metabolism is too low (predominately in women);
  • inability to gain weight, resulting in shrunken, cadaverous-looking bodies (predominately in men);
  • weight gains from overeating on carbohydrates;
  • amenorrhea (menstrual cycles cease), even in young women;
  • loss of libido;
  • hair loss and nail problems;
  • dental cavities, tooth loss, and gum problems;
  • joint pain
  • inability to conceive
So these parents may think they are making themselves and their children healthier by eating only vegetables and shunning meat and dairy products, but they are doing so only in the shortiterm.   If they keep doing it then their health will start to become worse due to them not receiving all the proper vitamins and minerals they need and they could start suffering some quite serious health problems.

Hopefully this post will shock any vegans reading it into changing their diet to include meat and dairy products.

Yea I agree that just eating vegies isnt enough. I talked about it with my wife last night after reading this thread and we both agreed that its a great idea though. Thats only cause we get a vitamin drink called tangy tangerine. Its the best vitamin drink on the planet. 115 different fruits and vegis, all your minerals and trace minerals. Calcium, iron, magnesium, 8333 times the daily recomended b12 ect ect ect ect. This drink has everything you need to live. And most importantly its cold processed, so its still alive on a cellular level. This stuff builds your immune system, and its antioxidant properties are unparalleled. Also cause its in drink form, its easy to digest.

The only thing left for us to do is stop eating processed crap, and we are going to be in good shape.

Edited by preacherman76, 25 March 2013 - 01:08 PM.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#44    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 24 March 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

I'd take protein from meat over protein from vegetables every single time. Too much estrogen in plants. Higher testosterone equals...faster, leaner muscle growth.

The protein in Spirulina is far more efficient than from meat. Doesn't taste as nice as meat though, I'll give you that. lol

View Postbmk1245, on 25 March 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

I would love to see raw vegans surviving without fancy fruits and vegetables from all around the world, and eating only whats growing, for example, on British islands soil, or better what was available there, say in XII century. I'm 100% sure nature would remove them from gene pool quite effectively and very naturally :whistle:

I really don't so what your point is whatsoever. The reason I don't eat meat is because of the way it is farmed by big corporations and all the animals suffer and are tortured, on top of that the animals are fed utter garbage and given drugs... I don't want that BS in my body. In the XII century I would have hunted my own clean natural meat.

I don't eat processed food because it gives you diseases and cancer.

View PostJunior Chubb, on 25 March 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

I am not a fan of encouraging your kids to be vegan, but look at the plus side of what they are doing. They are not filling their kids with all that processed crap that most of the country does. We are so set in our ways when it comes to food it is frightening.

I would rather a vegan child that avoided most of the crap on our supermarket shelves than a meat eater living on ready meals. For me the only downside of eating well and being more careful of how you source your food is the extra cost it incurs.

Yeah this is a huge problem. I think the food standards and government (Sadly it's their friends who make money from this) should be stepping in to sort that out. It's disgusting how much it costs to eat natural. The next time I move house I'm getting a big garden to grow my own food. Then I won't have to buy as much of the basic things.

View PostJunior Chubb, on 25 March 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

I think we forget how robust people are, throughout history I doubt many types of people have consumed all the nutrients needed for 'optimum' health so looking for a diet of this type may be impossible...

One thing this thread could be leading to though is another reason why Neanderthals died out, they where vegans...  ;)

Wait ... WHAT?

Neanderthals where Vegan?! I was brought up being told that Neanderthals where some horrible brutish race who we killed off because they where a threat to our survival.

Over the past few years I've been told they where musical, peaceful, kind and now Vegan?! lol

On the subject of their extinction though, that's different to how we live now. Humans where not Omnivores to get nutrients from everything, we where omnivores because it gave us a better survival rate, especially in winter when plants where harder to harvest etc. So we could kill and eat meat to survive. Huge difference between survival back then and how we live now.

Edited by Coffey, 25 March 2013 - 01:14 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#45    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 25 March 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Yea I agree that just eating vegies isnt enough. I talked about it with my wife last night after reading this thread and we both agreed that its a great idea though. Thats only cause we get a vitamin drink called tangy tangerine. Its the best vitamin drink on the planet. 115 different fruits and vegis, all your minerals and trace minerals. Calcium, iron, magnesium, 8333 times the daily recomended b12 ect ect ect ect. This drink has everything you need to live. And most importantly its cold processed, so its still alive on a cellular level. This stuff builds your immune system, and its antioxidant properties are unparalleled.

The only thing left for us to do is stop eating processed crap, and we are going to be in good shape.
Sounds like a commercial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users