Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 4 votes

Cell phone in 1928?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#16    AngelsShadow

AngelsShadow

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

• Understand this... You will never understand it...

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 01:37 AM, said:

Gosh willickers, you're right, that blurry shape in her hand could not be a hearing aid at all, must be a cell phone, much too large, or as you said in post 5, much too small compared to the other hearing aid image I provided. Man, those wacky time travelers sure have us 21st century folks fooled.
Please do not insult my intelligence by using remarks like that. It's a little insulting and I would prefer if you would remain respectful as I have been to you.

"Quid pro quo, yes or no Clarice?"
"A census taker once tried to test me, I ate his liver, with some fava beans and a nice Chianti... Fsh fsh fsh fsh!"
"You fly back to school now little Starling! Fly fly fly! Fly fly fly..."
"What did Miggs say to you? Multiple Miggs in the next cell, he hissed at you, what did he say?"
"Of each and everything ask what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?"

#17    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

View PostAngelsShadow, on 09 October 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

It's a little desperate to use the "old lady talking to herself" card, when she did a classic move that most cell phone users do, that is, stopping, looking in a certain direction and smiling as they speak when they hear good news. Chalking that up to "maybe she was just a crazy grandma?" IS a little bit desperate. If she was doing that back in those times then she would have been considered unstable and put in a mental institution, either that or a shut in, a common thing done to people who did that back in the 20s
Never said it was my opinion she was talking to herself, that was one of the arguments for why she was talking, so I decided to voice it.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#18    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,358 posts

Well unless someone can tell me how cell phone towers and communications satellites found their way into 1928, because without them cell phones are pretty much useless, it would be more likely that the person had an abcessed tooth and was holding something up to their mouth/jaw while looking for a dentist.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#19    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:42 AM

View PostAngelsShadow, on 09 October 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

Please do not insult my intelligence by using remarks like that. It's a little insulting and I would prefer if you would remain respectful as I have been to you.
Don't dictate to me how I present my point of view, just because I use humor in my posts does not make them insulting, merely makes them enjoyable to read for the rest of the community. I even make a point in that post. The point being, there were many compact hearing aids available at the time, not all made by the same company, so just because one was 'too small' or another 'too small' doesn't mean there wasn't one that was 'just right'.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#20    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:43 AM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

Eh, this link works pretty well: http://w1.hearing.si...s.jsp?year=1924

View PostAngelsShadow, on 09 October 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

Doubtful, considering that antuiqe hearing aids were big horns in the ear designed to funnel in sound waves. This was much more compact, and as you can see she was speaking into it.

Look at the link again, there is a picture of it being used in hand, it does match up with the video.  Portable electronic hearing aids were around since the late 1890s, compact for the time, but nothing like today.  Wearable ones come about in the 1930s.

Either that or it's a cellphone modified by The Doctor's sonic screwdriver to function regardless of its spatial-temporal relationship to any cell phone network service.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#21    AngelsShadow

AngelsShadow

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:43 AM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 09 October 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

Well unless someone can tell me how cell phone towers and communications satellites found their way into 1928, because without them cell phones are pretty much useless, it would be more likely that the person had an abcessed tooth and was holding something up to their mouth/jaw while looking for a dentist.

cormac
Now THAT is a compelling argument sir! I applaud you for that! :clap:
I didn't think about that one.

BUT! Could it be possible that the user modified it, prior to using it, to use radio waves, which are similar to cell waves, to make very short distance calls? Or perhaps a HAM wave?

"A census taker once tried to test me, I ate his liver, with some fava beans and a nice Chianti... Fsh fsh fsh fsh!"
"What did Miggs say to you? Multiple Miggs in the next cell, he hissed at you, what did he say?"
"Of each and everything ask what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?"

#22    AngelsShadow

AngelsShadow

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:45 AM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 01:42 AM, said:

Don't dictate to me how I present my point of view, just because I use humor in my posts does not make them insulting, merely makes them enjoyable to read for the rest of the community. I even make a point in that post. The point being, there were many compact hearing aids available at the time, not all made by the same company, so just because one was 'too small' or another 'too small' doesn't mean there wasn't one that was 'just right'.
I wasn't telling you how to formulate your opinion, I was merely politely asking you to not use demeaning remarks like that when I was being respectful towards you, asking for the same respect is not trying to tell you how to formulate your opinion.

#23    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:47 AM

View PostAngelsShadow, on 09 October 2012 - 01:45 AM, said:

I wasn't telling you how to formulate your opinion, I was merely politely asking you to not use demeaning remarks like that when I was being respectful towards you, asking for the same respect is not trying to tell you how to formulate your opinion.
You say 'tomato' I say 'potato', or something akin to that. You thought I was insulting you, I wasn't, I see you telling me to not 'insult' you as you dictating how I type up my posts, you don't.

You're hard spun on this being a cell phone, other then the fact that she's 'talking into it', what other proof is there that it's a cell phone?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#24    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:47 AM

Again, this is one of these cases when we are asked to prove a negative, which cannot be done.
The claim is that it's a cellphone, and we have to prove it's not.
It's a blurry picture claiming the gal is a time traveller talking on her cellphone.
Ok, lets assume she is a time traveller and she is talking on her cellphone...
If it's 1928, then perhaps someone could tell me what service carrier she is using?  I don't think there were many networks functioning in 1928.
Unless she can transmit her signal to the future?

Edited by synchronomy, 09 October 2012 - 01:53 AM.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#25    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,194 posts

• Question everything

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:48 AM

Already covered in at least one other thread in another part of the forums:

http://www.unexplain...pic=231424&st=0

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#26    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:48 AM

That anyone could be so desperate to demonstrate the anachronistic existence of an item we know didn't exist in 1928 just astounds me... It isn't a cell phone. End of story. I frankly couldn't care less what it is; but the suggestion that it's a cellular phone simply needn't ever have arisen in this discussion at all. It's absurd. But either way, yes, a hearing aid is almost certainly what it being placed to the woman's ear; my grandmother used the same type of hearing aid (albeit slightly different; but then, different models look different, after all) when I was a child.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#27    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,358 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

View PostAngelsShadow, on 09 October 2012 - 01:43 AM, said:

Now THAT is a compelling argument sir! I applaud you for that! :clap:
I didn't think about that one.

BUT! Could it be possible that the user modified it, prior to using it, to use radio waves, which are similar to cell waves, to make very short distance calls? Or perhaps a HAM wave?

Modified what? And how would anyone get ahold of a cell phone in 1928? There were no electronics at that early date and no miniature power supplies. So one has to wonder, where's the rest of this "cell phone" and where is the wagon carrying the rest of the equipment and power supply?

Edit for punctuation.

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt, 09 October 2012 - 01:55 AM.

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#28    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,051 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:49 AM

Well it's from a Film. who knows what Chaplin decided to toss into it.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#29    Dr. D

Dr. D

Alien Abducter

• 5,275 posts

• I love being me even though sometimes I'm still a stranger.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

Actually, it's not from a Chaplin film, it is from the scene in front of the theatre before the premiere of a Chaplin movie.

Now look, the claim is that it's a time traveler, right?  We need to be a bit creative here, after all the claim is pretty creative in itself.  So you can forget all about towers and who was the server.  If she's from the future, she comes with her phone.  She does not want to be conspicuous so she buys clothing of the period.

Not knowing the technology of the future, we cannot determine if there would be dimensional service enabling her to speak to her own time, not the 1920s.  Fantasy?  Of course.  But at the turn of the 20th century it was claimed that if you went 60 MPH in a car, it would suck all the air from your lungs. 200 years before that Europeans didn't eat tomatoes because they stirred the passions of young maidens and tomatoes would not be eaten for another 200 years.

Do I believe this is a time traveler?  No.  But anyone who claims something is impossible underestimates the drive for human achievement.

#30    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:09 AM

View PostDr. D, on 09 October 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

Do I believe this is a time traveler?  No.  But anyone who claims something is impossible underestimates the drive for human achievement.

Indeed. If a sentient being can conceive it and believe it, it can achieve it.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users