Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Kids Poisoned by Medical Marijuana

pot marijuana poison

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#16    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

View Postaztek, on 28 May 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

active compain agains mj.
for decades ppl smoked it, no problems, now "medical" mj gets a first step, and this crap happens. someone laced it with some crap on purpose.

Even if it were laced. If someone contracts salmonella from chicken and dies as a result. Do we say they had chicken poisoning?

If they were actually hospitalised from the consumption of marijuana then they should label whatever trace of substance that actually caused them to go to hospital should be named. I can quite guarantee they weren't in any life threatening or potentially damaging situation as a result solely from the THC.

Unless of course they have mental issues, marijuana, being a psychoactive drug, isn't usually the best for some people with mental issues.

If being high requires an emergency call these days. I am quite sure hospitals would be overflowing.

#17    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

Thinking about it now, the "overdose" was probably nothing more than the poor kids getting too high and thinking they were having heart attacks, or couldn't breath or what have you. Basically, they were tripping out lol in the medical terminology, it was classified as an overdose (which I suppose you could argue)

“These International bankers and Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests control the majority of newspapers and the columns of these newspapers to club into submission or drive out of public office officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government.”

- Roosevelt

#18    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,554 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Yah... what Dark_Gray said.

These kids got really high and their parents wanted to make sure they'd be OK so they took them to the hospital.

No one was poisoned or anything.

Now, if the kids accidentally ingested some pharmaceutical pain killer or other medication, they'd probably be in much more danger health-wise.

Embrace the impossible.

#19    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,580 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Not trying to turn this thread into a pro-marijuana campaign, (though that's probably where it's headed,) but I like the way Kat Williams (comedian) put it:

"Tylenol is perfectly legal but if you take 13 of those mutha******s it'll be your last headache!"

Edited by Dark_Grey, 28 May 2013 - 02:31 PM.

“These International bankers and Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests control the majority of newspapers and the columns of these newspapers to club into submission or drive out of public office officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government.”

- Roosevelt

#20    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,208 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

Eh, I think it's more of a carelessness rather than anything else.  Not that it's ok in any way.

Since pot is now legal in Colorado I think you will find that less people are hiding their "stash" and it's more readily accessible to the kids.  It used to be that the "stash" was hidden in a box at the top of the closet, now I think...not so much.  

More of careless parenting than anything to do with the law.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#21    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

Probably most, as  I,  think   "kids"  shouldn't  ingest  any mind or body altering substances during their formative years?       Unless of course it's an emergency and they need something to keep them alive?     ... I guess they can have food  .

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#22    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

The only problem is...having kids.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#23    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 28 May 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Not trying to turn this thread into a pro-marijuana campaign, (though that's probably where it's headed,) but I like the way Kat Williams (comedian) put it:

"Tylenol is perfectly legal but if you take 13 of those mutha******s it'll be your last headache!"

LOL :tu:

You know, it might not be careless parenting. Some kids are part monkey and can climb and get into anything!

#24    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 28 May 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

You wouldn't physically be capable of doing this is the thing. Even requiring a higher amount in a smaller timeframe would, if smoked, kill you from the lack of oxygen if anything (one of the ways they "proved" in order to illegalise marijuana due to killing of brain cells is after they basically engulfed them with THC smoke and they suffocated due to lack of oxygen, what happens when you suffocate? Your brain dies. Hence the dead brain cells. But it was ruled the THC was the cause of this.)
How much TCH would say... a 40 pound 5 year old, get if they ate 5 brownies that were 20% marijuana... or about 10 onces?? Not sure what the percentages of marijuana in medical grade brownies is, but I'm assuming that if some kid ate a bunch of them really quick, that they would get sick. Is that a reasonable expectation?

None of the kids "smoked" the pot, they ate it. So we have to assume these are 2 to 7 year olds.

View PostPurplos, on 28 May 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

No one was poisoned or anything.

Isn't getting really high a symptom of being poisoned? Basically you're being chemically affected, which could be called poisoning even if it is temporary and non-life threatening.

Also, I think I've read that kids that ingest pot regularly have much lower IQ scores.

Bottom line.... Keep the pot away from the Kids.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#25    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,554 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:30 AM

Isn't getting really high a symptom of being poisoned? Basically you're being chemically affected, which could be called poisoning even if it is temporary and non-life threatening.

Well... i don't know the medical terminology definitions, but I personally see being chemically affected as different than being poisoned.  I mean, eating way too much sugar chemically affects people.

Embrace the impossible.

#26    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 28 May 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

Poison? What?

I don't even know why anyone would need to be hospitalised after consumption of Marijuana unless there was something else in it (ie preservatives, pesticides, weight adding chemicals like from hairspray, etc). But no one has ever overdosed from the active substance, THC, ever, to my knowledge at least.

Good old fear mongering at work.
I agree that the buzz words are for fear mongering but if we are talking about little kids and even 'rookies' just starting their new habit I could easily see the kid wanting to go to the doctor. Edibles can be very intense. Just 1 good brownie can make even the most experienced indulger wish it would end after several hours and for lightweights or accidental users the head spins could quickly turn into stomach spins and freak outs.

View Postaztek, on 28 May 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

active compain agains mj.
for decades ppl smoked it, no problems, now "medical" mj gets a first step, and this crap happens. someone laced it with some crap on purpose.

Not at all. HerNibs is likely right. Stoned parents might forget they have some tasty treats lying around from last night. Saying it's laced on purpose is unlikely. Parents wouldn't do that but friends would. I'm thinking we are talking about real young kids though so it's likely accidental and carelessness and not some dbag lacing stuff.

View PostDieChecker, on 28 May 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

How much TCH would say... a 40 pound 5 year old, get if they ate 5 brownies that were 20% marijuana... or about 10 onces?? Not sure what the percentages of marijuana in medical grade brownies is, but I'm assuming that if some kid ate a bunch of them really quick, that they would get sick. Is that a reasonable expectation?

None of the kids "smoked" the pot, they ate it. So we have to assume these are 2 to 7 year olds.

Also, I think I've read that kids that ingest pot regularly have much lower IQ scores.

5 brownies!!! Goodness. That'd probably make a big dude think he was poisoned but a little girl would have no clue what's going on and shed probably pass out so hard her parents might think she's dying. But as the op says, it's essentially just a buzz and it'll go away eventually.

Posted Image

#27    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Unknown title error

• 2,950 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:01 AM

The only part I agree with in your statement is keep the pot away from the kids.
The rest well ... I know how adamant you get when talking about drugs so ill just say what you wrote is mainly hype.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#28    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:03 AM

I don't think he's being that bad. Or is this a side of Diechecker I haven't seen about to come out?

Posted Image

#29    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:08 AM

Na,   a typical brownie would  probably, only have around a tablespoon of  pot  in it ... Or Equivalent ....  because  I think  most edibles nowadays are made with cannabis  butter  or  oil  .. Instead of ground up pot.   *   THC levels can vary quite a bit.
But sure,  a 40 pd. kid would be more affected by the same  'dose'   than a  150 pd.  adult.

I was thinking similarly ....   if a kid wolfs down several brownies  .. he's liable to get sick   whether they contain pot  or not ?

Too many unknowns in this story.. did someone panic because  a kid puked after eating too many brownies too fast?
Curling up and going to sleep , usually with a silly grin on the face,  is the worst  debilitating   reaction I have ever witnessed from an 'adult'  ingesting  more  THC  than perhaps they should have .

Edited by lightly, 29 May 2013 - 01:37 AM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#30    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:13 AM

The biggest side effect of smoking marijuana is passing out from laughing too hard... or possibly tripping over something because you think the cops are coming to get you.

I prefer pot smokers around me to anyone abusing cocaine, crack, crystal meth or any kind of amphetamine.  Amphetamine abusers ultimately become crazy and violent... I see it everyday and it's scary.

Nothing scary about a pot smoker relaxing on the couch with some Cheetos watching cartoons... unless they don't have a drink because they get thirsty.  No driving though... don't want a stoner crashing into me and I don't want to hear, "I drive better when I'm stoned"... lol

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Also tagged with pot, marijuana, poison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users