Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you have nightmares?

Bling

Does anyone here have nightmares?

Definition:

A nightmare is a dream occurring during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep that results in feelings of strong terror, fear, distress or extreme anxiety. This phenomenon tends to occur in the latter part of the night and oftentimes awakens the sleeper, who is likely to recall the content of the dream.

http://www.psycholog...ions/nightmares

So if you do, what do you think causes them? How often do you have them? How does it affect your life? Did you have them as children? Is there a cure?

• Like 1

Ask Ever Learning to teach you how to lucid dream :P . I read that lucid dreamers can resolve the nightmare in their sleep.

Well, I may have had some nightmares. And not Dr. D's definition of the term.

Edited by Mnemonix
  • Like 1

Some are caused by minor unresolved fears and anxieties, some are based in fear of loss or stemming from actual loss or negative experience, some are just 'fantasies' created by the sleeping mind.

I rather enjoy some.

• Like 4

I had them practically every night as a child, which I now know was caused by my horrible childhood experiences, and resulted in me wetting the bed as I woke up. I have some now, they are not scary but more strongly emotional and can stick with me for hours after I awake. But I know why they are there so I can cope with them so really doesn't affect me half as much as they used to. Who knows what goes on in our minds while we're asleep, fascinating though, the fact that we can't control these thoughts and emotions - we're in our own little world at the time!

I don't wet the bed anymore :P

I have them from time to time. Mine are usually caused by crap going on in my life., something said, something done, etc. I noticed when I was taking melatonin it really gave me some crazy nightmares.

• Like 1

I now take prescribed pills to stop the nightmares I used to buy pills to induce. (no names; no pack-drill on what I took.. 'tis a family site)

So haven't had a bad dream for a long time. As child I used to have a bad dream if I fell asleep on my back, (I usually slept on my side) and have no idea why.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

I have nightmares once or twice a month. They are always very long, vivid, and complicated. For example, at the end of my nightmare last night, I was forced to marry Hitler while at my family's lakehouse. He tried to rape me, but I was saved by a long-lost brother who killed Hitler with a field hockey stick. After I woke up (at 5am), I refused to go back to bed because I was so scared. As for the reason I have nightmares, I think that my brain is overactive and weird in general. I know someone who takes Lunesta, which she says causes her to have nightmares every other night or so. She is going off Lunesta soon, because the nightmares are getting so intense.

• Like 1

What's fun is to have a really horrible nightmare and then wake up and try to make it happen.

But then, that's just me.

• Like 1

when you're an adult.. do you still call them nightmares?

whatever they are, they're pretty good.

when life can't smack you upside the head, the dream manages to get the job done

when you're an adult.. do you still call them nightmares?

whatever they are, they're pretty good.

when life can't smack you upside the head, the dream manages to get the job done

Yes they're called Adult Nightmares

• Like 1

I have them from time to time. Mine are usually caused by crap going on in my life., something said, something done, etc. I noticed when I was taking melatonin it really gave me some crazy nightmares.

I agree, I think dreams are a kind of a reflection on what is going on in your life and also what you pull into your dream from the outside world too. I listen to the radio at a low volume at night when I sleep and more often than not, I have dreams of driving and listening to the radio or like that. I usually have some really weird and creepy nightmares when I take Nyquil and sick from a cold so medications definitely also affect dreams too.

I think I've had maybe one or two in my entire life. Even then I'm not sure since the dream caused anxiety and worry over my "situation", but not real fear.

I now take prescribed pills to stop the nightmares I used to buy pills to induce. (no names; no pack-drill on what I took.. 'tis a family site)

So haven't had a bad dream for a long time. As child I used to have a bad dream if I fell asleep on my back, (I usually slept on my side) and have no idea why.

Eldorado I like your current icon pic. lol ... :D

I used to have severe SEVERE nightmares, every single time I closed my eyes. It was like freakn Freddy Kruger. I was so afraid to sleep I often say I had 'insomnia'. I litterally would stay up all night to avoid my nightmares and constantly took no-doz and drank caffenated drinks to try to stay awake. I would fall asleep in class (I was in college then) and didn't have nightmares in class. So I just continued to sleep in class. I had to take science three times because of this. At least I got some sleep in though... This was litterally one of the most horrible times of my life. The dreams seemed very real and they were awful..... Not only were they filled with monsters etc... I was a grusome murderer in most of them. Yes I was killing bad guys, but I was a murderer none the less. Glad thats over :)

That lasted for three years.

• Like 1

I have a couple of them a month, but I think they are fun. I can manipulate them and almost always know I'm having a nighmare, so it's more like being in a scary movie that I'm directing. They get away from me sometimes, but I can usually get them back into control.

So if you do, what do you think causes them? How often do you have them? How does it affect your life? Did you have them as children? Is there a cure?

As for these questions I will msg you privately. But later.... @ work now :D

PEACE

Mine were never fun

• Like 1

Mine were never fun

I'm sorry...my husband has terrible nightmares and he doesn't think they are fun either. I wake him up on a regular basis when I hear him fighting them.

• Like 1

I've was having reoccurring nightmares a few years ago:

Speeding out of control through traffic, weaving past cars, unable to break. It always ended with me waking up with a jolt right before crashing.

I tried lucid dreaming my way out and although the breaks wouldn't work I did get the car to fly to safety towards the end.

Turns out driving home drunk at 3am made quite an impression on my subconscious mind.

The nightmares stopped when I gave up the risky behavior.

Weirdly I have a reoccuring dream where I can't find my car in a car park....except it's not the car I have now and is a different car each time I dream it. The feeling of panic that I have while searching for my car feels very real, and I wake up feeling weird and a bit upset. It is a nightmare, and I can cope with it, I just wonder why I have it sometimes!

I do have nightmares nearly every night, but I don't dream about monsters etc.. My dreams are based on my past and present. I can't stand them.

• Like 1

Occasionally I have nightmares. Usually they involve really stressful or upsetting life like situations. (Violence, Loss) My dreams are always very intense, emotionally so if something "bad" is happening in a dream sometimes those feelings will linger for hours after I've woken up. I don't remember having many as a kid, but I'm sure I must have had them once in awhile then too. I've been waking myself up if I'm feeling scared for a long time, so they don't usually last long. Usually I wish I would push through it and stay with the dream though. That's only happened a couple of times.

• Like 1

Almost everynight, though within the nightmare there is no great fear. The fear comes when I wake and I realise what horrors I have dreamt. I still have the night terrors, sleep parallysis, once every few months. Always the same. You dream about lying in bed and knowing some horror is coming up the stairs. Door opens and there is feeling of terrible dread as the monster glides into the room and hovers over you. Then you realise you cannot move and there is a cold sweat. You think you are going to die, you cannot tell if you are awake or dreaming, then the spell is broken. For those who never had this, then be thankful as it is truly terrible...

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri
  • Like 1

I get some pretty wicked nightmares on occasion. They started a few years ago, and have become less frequent (they used to happen as often as once a week, now they happen closer to once every couple months or so). I'm not sure what causes them, but they've ranged from being chased by a murderer/rapist to a ghoulish woman hurting a newborn kitten to a hillbilly sasquatch kidnapping me. The one that has occurred more than once, though, isn't so much scary as just annoying and messed up: all of my teeth fall out, but I can't spit them out of my mouth, so I just have a mouthful of teeth. I'll wake up and be relieved that it's over...and then my teeth start falling out again. This cycle will repeat a few times, and "waking up" always seems so real that when I actually do wake up I can't always tell if I'm really awake or still dreaming. I usually have to touch my teeth to know for sure..... :blush:

• Like 2